Next season's set up

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Swale_Gooner1985

Next season's set up

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

Ok so it looks likely that we will be going into the Europa league next season, which in itself says we probably need a larger than average squad to be able to juggle players around a bit more than usual. Not that it's a hell of a lot different to a Champions League campaign, the main difference being we should go further....should :lol:

So with this in mind and imagining we are going to persevere with the new formation, which players would you be happy to keep in their current positions and which positions do you think we need to either have an extra number or a complete improvement on?

Cech for me needs an upgrade. We waited so long for a top quality keeper and when we got him finally, it seems he is now well on the decline. Butland from Stoke has the look of a long term premier league keeper, I'd like a move for him this summer.

Koscielny is fine and I feel we have to be looking at Rob Holding as a starter going into next season. That leaves Mustafi and Gabriel who I think are a bit below what we need to make that a solid back 3...Mustafi might improve second season but at the moment an extra top quality centre half is needed if we are going to regularly field three of them.

Bellerin has huge potential to fill that right hand side slot and I would be looking to go with his there. Monreal is a decent player who can play LB or part of the back 3 so well worth keeping around. However in the long run a proper left sided wing back might be needed...which could in the potential signing of Kolasinac?

The midfield seems a big part that needs filling in properly if this is to be the system going forward...Xhaka and Ramsey have been much better in recent weeks, as was Coquelin against Stoke but over the course of the season you feel we will need more quality there, especially if they are playing as a two. One of the Monaco guys could be a potential in there as an improvement on legs and steel.

Sanchez has to be used as the forward for me if he stays, with Welbeck and Giroud in reserve...which leaves two holes behind him. Ozil is clearly a superb player, however this season at points it seems he hasn't tried or been hugely out of form. The last 3 or 4 games he's been far better, I wonder if that shows a man who's been given what he wants...incredibly selfish if so to turn it back on once his demands have been met and maybe slightly cynical of me, something I guess we will never know...BUT if he plays to the level we know he can then he is a cert to play behind Sanchez. Which then for me leaves the need for some more real quality along side him...Ramsey could be that option if a proper central midfielder comes in, but we all know he is hit and miss...Iwobi and Chamberlain as much as they've shown spells aren't really up to it. Walcott is a waste of time and shouldn't be involved at any stage.

So, a keeper, left wing back, central mid and some creation around the box seem necessities...everything else I'm happy to let grow in this formation and see where it takes us...

Thoughts? Try not to turn it into a Wenger out thread yeah? We are all Arsenal fans and surely have an interest in next season...let's see your thoughts on how the team go forward...Wenger or not, who gets the nod?

northbank123

Re: Next season's set up

Post by northbank123 »

If the set up includes Wenger in the dugout it will involve finishing 10-20 points off the winners as it has every year for the last 9 seasons.

Swale_Gooner1985

northbank123 wrote:If the set up includes Wenger in the dugout it will involve finishing 10-20 points off the winners as it has every year for the last 9 seasons.
:banghead:

Try to make a post where you don't talk about Wenger....as I said in the original post

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Yeah all 3 keepers could go and I wouldn't bat an eyelid, agree with you on Butland, but slightly fearful of him developing Richard Wright-itis once he'd join at the same time.

There can be an almost total clear out at RB - Debuchy, Jenks and Chambers (although I'd probably give him one more season to see if he could slot in to that back 3 on occasion).

The BGV (who I read yesterday has trousered £3.4m quid this season without kicking a ball :roll:) should be shown the door but as he signed an extension recently that seems unlikely, as should Gabriel - simply not good enough.

At LB - it's bye bye to Gibbs as the Kolasinac deal seems done and dusted. Monreal to cover.

In midfield I hope the Ox stays on as I do with Ozil, but almost everyone else is expendable for me - Wilshere, Cazorla (due to injury rather than ability) Walcott :roll: Ramsey, Xhaka - maybe give him one more season but I'd be amazed if he proves me wrong. Then you're left with Coquelin and El Neny who are just meh.

Again, agree with you on starting Alexis up top, why that was abandoned in the middle of the season after it's initial success is beyond me. If the £20m Giroud to Marseille stories are true then bite their hands off for it, Perez will probably leave too - I have absolutely no idea what that transfer was all about. I'd keep Welbz to be 2nd/3rd choice striker.

So if both Ozil and Sanchez stay :coffeespit: I reckon we need a keeper, another CB, a central midfielder and a striker - in other words the whole spine of a team - pretty much the exact same requirement we've needed every summer for the past decade :suicide:

Swale_Gooner1985

Completely agree about Debuchy and Jenks...Chambers does seem below par too but has time on his side so may learn and improve so maybe worth a chance on him still.

It's a shame with Cazorla because he is right up there with our best players, unfortunately injury hasn't been on his side and time too now sadly.

I'd like to keep Giroud around because he gives us something different when needed and whatever people say about him, he will get a good number of goals, this season he's played mainly from the bench too.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

rodders999 wrote:Yeah all 3 keepers could go and I wouldn't bat an eyelid, agree with you on Butland, but slightly fearful of him developing Richard Wright-itis once he'd join at the same time.

There can be an almost total clear out at RB - Debuchy, Jenks and Chambers (although I'd probably give him one more season to see if he could slot in to that back 3 on occasion).

The BGV (who I read yesterday has trousered £3.4m quid this season without kicking a ball :roll:) should be shown the door but as he signed an extension recently that seems unlikely, as should Gabriel - simply not good enough.

At LB - it's bye bye to Gibbs as the Kolasinac deal seems done and dusted. Monreal to cover.

In midfield I hope the Ox stays on as I do with Ozil, but almost everyone else is expendable for me - Wilshere, Cazorla (due to injury rather than ability) Walcott :roll: Ramsey, Xhaka - maybe give him one more season but I'd be amazed if he proves me wrong. Then you're left with Coquelin and El Neny who are just meh.

Again, agree with you on starting Alexis up top, why that was abandoned in the middle of the season after it's initial success is beyond me. If the £20m Giroud to Marseille stories are true then bite their hands off for it, Perez will probably leave too - I have absolutely no idea what that transfer was all about. I'd keep Welbz to be 2nd/3rd choice striker.

So if both Ozil and Sanchez stay :coffeespit: I reckon we need a keeper, another CB, a central midfielder and a striker - in other words the whole spine of a team - pretty much the exact same requirement we've needed every summer for the past decade :suicide:

Agree with all of this ^

NickF

Post by NickF »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Thoughts? Try not to turn it into a Wenger out thread yeah? We are all Arsenal fans and surely have an interest in next season...let's see your thoughts on how the team go forward...Wenger or not, who gets the nod?
If Wenger remains then I have zero interest in next season.
Anyway as far as players go, Phil Neville summed it up well during last week :

"You cannot assess who Arsenal will buy in the summer until you know who is going to be in charge - if it is, say, Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone then it will be 10 warriors; if Wenger is still manager it will be 10 really nice and pretty footballers"

Swale_Gooner1985

NickF wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
If Wenger remains then I have zero interest in next season.
Anyway as far as players go, Phil Neville summed it up well during last week :

"You cannot assess who Arsenal will buy in the summer until you know who is going to be in charge - if it is, say, Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone then it will be 10 warriors; if Wenger is still manager it will be 10 really nice and pretty footballers"
Can I ask how long you've supported Arsenal because I find it fascinating that a supporter could have no interest in their team, regardless of who the manager is. I've supported Arsenal getting on for 30 years, I just can't imagine having no interest in them, whatever the situation...certain people maybe have a different level of support? Just interested

Clash

Post by Clash »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:If the set up includes Wenger in the dugout it will involve finishing 10-20 points off the winners as it has every year for the last 9 seasons.

Try to make a post where you don't talk about Wenger....as I said in the original post
Yeah and then we can try starting a thread about Russian life in the 30's and 40's but not talk about Stalin or the war!

Seriously, how do we talk about next season without talking about Wenger? The club and the players are suffocated by him. It's impossible not to talk about Wenger as he influences EVERYTHING!

If Wenger was going this would be a great thread. As things stand its not worht discussing. IMO

Swale_Gooner1985

Clash wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:

Yeah and then we can try starting a thread about Russian life in the 30's and 40's but not talk about Stalin or the war!

Seriously, how do we talk about next season without talking about Wenger? The club and the players are suffocated by him. It's impossible not to talk about Wenger as he influences EVERYTHING!

If Wenger was going this would be a great thread. As things stand its not worht discussing. IMO
Forget Wenger....just for a minute, I'm asking what you would do with the current squad...your thoughts on who should be given a chance in the new system and who shouldn't....and possibly who should come in

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

In an unrealistic (but perfect) world I'd get rid of;

All 3 keepers, (one is past it, the other two never had it and never will)
Monreal, (gone to shit)
Big Cowardly Vagina, (cowardly bitch)
Xhaka, (braindead)
Ramsey, (too fussy on the ball, a liability)
Walcott, (you all know why)
Welbeck, (not top class)
Giroud, (not top class)
Gibbs, (shit)
Gabriel, (ropey as hell)
Chambers, (not PL quality)
Elneny, (not PL quality)
Coquelin, (stupid as fuck, liability)
Wilshere, (too injury prone)
Cazorla, (quality player but see Wilshere above)
Debuchy (not PL quality)

I'd keep (and, it has to be said, with the understanding that Wenger would be gone in one or two years):

Kos, (decent on his day)
Ox, (potential to be a top player so worth holding onto until we get a decent manager - sorry Swaley old son but that is a huge issue)
Ozil, (world class and would excel under a top manager)
Sanchez. (world class and would excel under a top manager)
Holding (potential under a new manager)
Mustaphi, (decent on his day)
Perez, (potential under a new manager)
Bellerin (been shit for months now but has potential under a new manager)

And even in that list I'd look to upgrade on both Kos and Mustaphi tbh.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:In an unrealistic (but perfect) world I'd get rid of;

Monreal, (gone to shit)
Xhaka, (braindead)
Welbeck, (not top class)
Giroud, (not top class)
Gibbs, (shit)
Gabriel, (ropey as hell)
Elneny, (not PL quality)
Debuchy (not PL quality)

I'd keep (and, it has to be said, with the understanding that Wenger would be gone in one or two years):

Kos, (decent on his day)
Ox, (potential to be a top player so worth holding onto until we get a decent manager - sorry Swaley old son but that is a huge issue)

And One last thing!....

Wenger Out...... :lol: :wink:

I'll get my coat..... 8)
Last edited by Allgunsblazin on Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Clash wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:

Forget Wenger....just for a minute, I'm asking what you would do with the current squad...your thoughts on who should be given a chance in the new system and who shouldn't....and possibly who should come in
Sorry I agree with Clash. You simply cannot look at players like Bellerin and the Ox (both currently mostly shit, but certainly with the potential to be top players under a different and better manager) without looking at the Wenger aspect. :|

Clash

Post by Clash »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Clash wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:

In that case I pretty much agree with what Rodders posted. A new spine is needed.

What we also need is a change in the mentality but that needs some proper leadership on the pitch (something we have lacked since Vieira left). Having that could make a real difference to players who don't perform often enough but look like they have something. Ox for example. I'd like to see him in a properly motivated team.

Giroud out! And Walcott is a lost cause for me.

The likes of Welbeck and Monreal are good enough to be part of the squad but not starting every game. Even Perez hasnt looked too bad on the rare occassions I have seen him.

I like what I have seen of Holding so far. I think it has made a nice change to sign someone from the lower leagues of this country rather than a defender from the French or Spanish league who isnt physical enough. Holding is a bit like signing a Bould or Dixon although he has a long way to go to be their level.

Setting a more demanding target than just top 4 ( and there being consequences if it isn't achieved ) would also help.

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:In an unrealistic (but perfect) world I'd get rid of;

Monreal, (gone to shit)
Xhaka, (braindead)
Welbeck, (not top class)
Giroud, (not top class)
Gibbs, (shit)
Gabriel, (ropey as hell)
Elneny, (not PL quality)
Debuchy (not PL quality)

Kos, (decent on his day)

Pretty well summed up mate.

The real frustration is the amount of players you add the ''under a top / new manager'' part too. It really is crazy to think we are almost certainly about to waste yet another season of fans time and money and the ability of those players :banghead: