Next season's set up

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: Next season's set up

Post by Retro Gunner »

Pretty much what Rodders said.

Btw, anyone that would keep Ramsey and offload (or bench) the Ox, needs to see a head doctor.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Perhaps someone can calculate the number of sickies thrown as against games played and give us their percentages...
Would I still employ Welbeck or even Cazorla, not really, just taking up space and cost a fecking fortune....
Anymore names for the infamous ANS?, Arsenes Health Service.... :banghead:

NickF

Post by NickF »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Thoughts? Try not to turn it into a Wenger out thread yeah? We are all Arsenal fans and surely have an interest in next season...let's see your thoughts on how the team go forward...Wenger or not, who gets the nod?
If Wenger remains then I have zero interest in next season.
Anyway as far as players go, Phil Neville summed it up well during last week :

"You cannot assess who Arsenal will buy in the summer until you know who is going to be in charge - if it is, say, Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone then it will be 10 warriors; if Wenger is still manager it will be 10 really nice and pretty footballers"
Can I ask how long you've supported Arsenal because I find it fascinating that a supporter could have no interest in their team, regardless of who the manager is. I've supported Arsenal getting on for 30 years, I just can't imagine having no interest in them, whatever the situation...certain people maybe have a different level of support? Just interested
Had a season ticket for nearly 30 years. It is watching exactly the same season unfold for the last 8 years that has crushed any enjoyment out of it.
The club has gone from being one of the top team in England to scraping for 4th place every year while supporter convince themselves that next year will be different. Every year people getting excited with a good start, we then have the predictable collapse around March followed by the up turn in form when the 4th places is in doubt and people getting excited again. Same every year.

Giving Wenger a new contract means another 2 seasons of exactly the same, he has basically come out and said there will be no change.

When you already know the outcome what is there to get excited about?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Thoughts? Try not to turn it into a Wenger out thread yeah? We are all Arsenal fans and surely have an interest in next season...let's see your thoughts on how the team go forward...Wenger or not, who gets the nod?

"You cannot assess who Arsenal will buy in the summer until you know who is going to be in charge - if it is, say, Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone then it will be 10 warriors; if Wenger is still manager it will be 10 really nice and pretty footballers"
Can I ask how long you've supported Arsenal because I find it fascinating that a supporter could have no interest in their team, regardless of who the manager is. I've supported Arsenal getting on for 30 years, I just can't imagine having no interest in them, whatever the situation...certain people maybe have a different level of support? Just interested
Had a season ticket for nearly 30 years. It is watching exactly the same season unfold for the last 8 years that has crushed any enjoyment out of it.
The club has gone from being one of the top team in England to scraping for 4th place every year while supporter convince themselves that next year will be different. Every year people getting excited with a good start, we then have the predictable collapse around March followed by the up turn in form when the 4th places is in doubt and people getting excited again. Same every year.

Giving Wenger a new contract means another 2 seasons of exactly the same, he has basically come out and said there will be no change.

Absolutely perfect post, Nick. 8) Describes the situation to a tee really. It's the inevitable repetativeness of the same failures year after year after year that kill you.

I'm gonna claim the term "Groundhog Season" as mine because I'm pretty sure I posted it here first years ago (If anybody can prove different I will apologise to the concerned party immediately :D :wink: ) and it is the perfect term for what Modern Arsenal under Wenger put us through; Groundhog Season, every season for almost a decade now. :|

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:If the set up includes Wenger in the dugout it will involve finishing 10-20 points off the winners as it has every year for the last 9 seasons.
:banghead:

Try to make a post where you don't talk about Wenger....as I said in the original post
On a serious note it is of huge relevance who the manager is.

How many Chelsea fans wouldn't have consigned Victor Moses to the scrap heap or would have suggested Azpilicueta could do a job as a first choice CB.

The temptation is to go overboard and say I would only keep 5 or 6 players, which is the sort of thing which is regularly posted here. But the reality is with a different and better manager, system and mindset, 2 good signings could turn us into champions. It's a complete myth that to win the Pl you need two strong players competing in every position. You need a solid defence, a workable system and a player or few players who will carry you through the season with goals and assists.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

northbank123 wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:If the set up includes Wenger in the dugout it will involve finishing 10-20 points off the winners as it has every year for the last 9 seasons.

Try to make a post where you don't talk about Wenger....as I said in the original post

How many Chelsea fans wouldn't have consigned Victor Moses to the scrap heap or would have suggested Azpilicueta could do a job as a first choice CB.

The temptation is to go overboard and say I would only keep 5 or 6 players, which is the sort of thing which is regularly posted here. But the reality is with a different and better manager, system and mindset, 2 good signings could turn us into champions. It's a complete myth that to win the Pl you need two strong players competing in every position. You need a solid defence, a workable system and a player or few players who will carry you through the season with goals and assists.

Good post mate

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:

Whilst I agree it's a myth you need 2 top players in every position, I don't agree we are only 2 good signings away from winning the PL - even with a new manager. For me anyway, we need a new top keeper, at least 1 (preferably 2) top CH's, a top left back, a top holding midfielder and a top striker - the rest of our current squad could be divided up into those that could stay as squad players or be shipped out.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

northbank123 wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:

Agreed.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:

Whilst I agree it's a myth you need 2 top players in every position, I don't agree we are only 2 good signings away from winning the PL - even with a new manager. For me anyway, we need a new top keeper, at least 1 (preferably 2) top CH's, a top left back, a top holding midfielder and a top striker - the rest of our current squad could be divided up into those that could stay as squad players or be shipped out.

You're right DB, we're not 2 good signings away from winning the PL......we're 1 good manager away ! Sorry Swale.

Btw, Clash is on form today.....good post about discussing the 1930's and 40's Soviet Union, without mentioning Stalin. Difficult.

Swale_Gooner1985

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

NickF wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:

I completely understand where you're coming from mate, especially about the way the last few season's have been scarily similar, I've said it to myself a few times this season that can't go on...However the club decide who is in charge and whoever that may be will never lower my interest in the Arsenal. Whatever the situation, for me that is unthinkable!! Supporters of clubs all over the country have an interest in the team they support, regardless of whether they are challenging for the league, looking for mid table security or being relegated to a lower tier. It defeats the object of supporting a football club if you claim to have no interest in it.

augie

Post by augie »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:

Can I ask if you have supported The Arsenal for 30 years ? Any long term Gooner that I know is appalled at our cartoon crest and the lack of respect shown to our traditional crest, but yet you are happy to use it as your gif - I suppose it ties into your jcl arsene fc not Arsenal fc ethos doesn't it ? :roll:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

To be fair I prefer the cartoon crest to the pic of Alex Mong that it replaced :lol:

:wink:

augie

Post by augie »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

rodders999 wrote:To be fair I prefer the cartoon crest to the pic of Alex Mong that it replaced :lol:

:wink:

Blimey, that's a tough one to call, but on balance, I think you're right ! :lol: :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Just out of interest and not looking for another stick to beat Wenger with (I'm lying), but did Arsene choose / approve that abomination of a crest ? Looking back, that was about the time that alarm bells should have started ringing with regard to our future. I detest that fucking crest with a passion.