Next season's set up

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Allgunsblazin

Re: Next season's set up

Post by Allgunsblazin »

:roll:

This might help you

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1795000/i ... st_300.jpg

Finally got rid of that one!...
Last edited by Allgunsblazin on Tue May 16, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Retro Gunner wrote:Just out of interest and not looking for another stick to beat Wenger with (I'm lying), but did Arsene choose / approve that abomination of a crest ? Looking back, that was about the time that alarm bells should have started ringing with regard to our future. I detest that fucking crest with a passion.

Arsenal have revamped their famous cannon crest as part of a major shake-up of the club's corporate image.
The rebranding will give the Gunners a tighter grip on merchandising as they had been unable to copyright their old badge.

And it is also designed to present a more modern look as they try to establish themselves as one of Europe's leading clubs.

The new crest was chosen as it delivers the values of Arsenal in a clear and unique way
Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood
The new crest will be unveiled to supporters at Saturday's Premiership game against Southampton at Highbury.
But it will not appear on team shirts until the start of next season, when the club will also have a new sponsor.

The crest, which has not changed since 1949, is the result of nine months' work by 20/20, a London-based design consultancy.

And the new image is a key part of the north London club's future plans as it prepares to start work on a new 60,000-seater stadium at Ashburton Grove.

It is likely to provoke a lively reaction from fans, who see the old crest as the symbol of their club.

Values

The new design retains the famous Arsenal cannon but it now points east instead of west.

Out go the traditional gothic script, latin motto and heraldic badge in favour of a simpler, more modern image.

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood insisted the move was an attempt to combine the club's tradition with a forward-looking approach.

"The new crest has been selected as it delivers the values of Arsenal in a clear and unique way.

Arsenal's Patrick Vieira celebrates a goal
Arsenal shirts will display the new crest next season
"But more importantly, it retains the traditional features such as the cannon and the shield which are synonymous with Arsenal Football Club.

"I would also like to stress that this change is an evolution not a revolution.

"We are not a football club that changes for change's sake.

"We are extremely mindful of the special bond our supporters have with the present crest but are also confident that our supporters will be proud of the new design," Hill-Wood told the Arsenal website.

Arsenal are not the first Premiership side to go for a change of image.

Leeds switched their club design from a round badge to a shield in 1998.

And Fulham introduced a new crest last May after it was revealed only 14 per cent of fans recognised the previous one.

Jim Thompson, brand director at 20/20, told BBC Sport Online: "Anything like this will be hard to accept at first because fans are always so passionate about their team.

"But I believe that, given time, it will be seen as a much more exciting and dynamic badge than the current one.

"This is about telling people that Arsenal are better and about being appropriate for the new stadium.

"The old badge was state of the 1950s.

"The new one needs to carry the tradition but also the values of Arsenal in the future as they will be competing at the very top of the game."

Copyright=Dollar....Greeeeeeeed :cussing:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:If the set up includes Wenger in the dugout it will involve finishing 10-20 points off the winners as it has every year for the last 9 seasons.
:banghead:

Try to make a post where you don't talk about Wenger....as I said in the original post
On a serious note it is of huge relevance who the manager is.

How many Chelsea fans wouldn't have consigned Victor Moses to the scrap heap or would have suggested Azpilicueta could do a job as a first choice CB.

The temptation is to go overboard and say I would only keep 5 or 6 players, which is the sort of thing which is regularly posted here. But the reality is with a different and better manager, system and mindset, 2 good signings could turn us into champions. It's a complete myth that to win the Pl you need two strong players competing in every position. You need a solid defence, a workable system and a player or few players who will carry you through the season with goals and assists.
Whilst I agree it's a myth you need 2 top players in every position, I don't agree we are only 2 good signings away from winning the PL - even with a new manager. For me anyway, we need a new top keeper, at least 1 (preferably 2) top CH's, a top left back, a top holding midfielder and a top striker - the rest of our current squad could be divided up into those that could stay as squad players or be shipped out.

While I think that the Chavs have by far the best and best balanced squad and that it would take more than a couple of good signings for us to challenge for the title; given the mediocrity of the rest of the division, we probably only need a couple of good signings to challenge for second.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:Just out of interest and not looking for another stick to beat Wenger with (I'm lying), but did Arsene choose / approve that abomination of a crest ? Looking back, that was about the time that alarm bells should have started ringing with regard to our future. I detest that fucking crest with a passion.

Arsenal have revamped their famous cannon crest as part of a major shake-up of the club's corporate image.
The rebranding will give the Gunners a tighter grip on merchandising as they had been unable to copyright their old badge.

And it is also designed to present a more modern look as they try to establish themselves as one of Europe's leading clubs.

The new crest was chosen as it delivers the values of Arsenal in a clear and unique way
The new crest will be unveiled to supporters at Saturday's Premiership game against Southampton at Highbury.
But it will not appear on team shirts until the start of next season, when the club will also have a new sponsor.

The crest, which has not changed since 1949, is the result of nine months' work by 20/20, a London-based design consultancy.

And the new image is a key part of the north London club's future plans as it prepares to start work on a new 60,000-seater stadium at Ashburton Grove.

It is likely to provoke a lively reaction from fans, who see the old crest as the symbol of their club.

Values

The new design retains the famous Arsenal cannon but it now points east instead of west.

Out go the traditional gothic script, latin motto and heraldic badge in favour of a simpler, more modern image.

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood insisted the move was an attempt to combine the club's tradition with a forward-looking approach.

"The new crest has been selected as it delivers the values of Arsenal in a clear and unique way.

"But more importantly, it retains the traditional features such as the cannon and the shield which are synonymous with Arsenal Football Club.

"We are extremely mindful of the special bond our supporters have with the present crest but are also confident that our supporters will be proud of the new design," Hill-Wood told the Arsenal website.

And Fulham introduced a new crest last May after it was revealed only 14 per cent of fans recognised the previous one.

Jim Thompson, brand director at 20/20, told BBC Sport Online: "Anything like this will be hard to accept at first because fans are always so passionate about their team.

"But I believe that, given time, it will be seen as a much more exciting and dynamic badge than the current one.

"This is about telling people that Arsenal are better and about being appropriate for the new stadium.

"The new one needs to carry the tradition but also the values of Arsenal in the future as they will be competing at the very top of the game."

Copyright=Dollar....Greeeeeeeed :cussing:

Yep, I remember all that, but I thought that I'd once heard that Wenger approved the new crest, that, in effect, it was his choice. I was wondering if anyone could throw some light on that. Of course, I want it to have been Wenger's decision, so that I can blame him for something else, in addition to the existing catalogue of atrocities ! :lol:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Values

Copyright=Dollar....Greeeeeeeed :cussing:[/

Yep, I remember all that, but I thought that I'd once heard that Wenger approved the new crest, that, in effect, it was his choice. I was wondering if anyone could throw some light on that. Of course, I want it to have been Wenger's decision, so that I can blame him for something else, in addition to the existing catalogue of atrocities ! :lol:
Nice to remind everyone of the utter Corporate shite that was cited, here are a few of the terms
Evolution not revolution....
Brand
Dynamic

All this for a badge eh!.... :cussing:

Dodgyknee71

Post by Dodgyknee71 »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Thoughts? Try not to turn it into a Wenger out thread yeah? We are all Arsenal fans and surely have an interest in next season...let's see your thoughts on how the team go forward...Wenger or not, who gets the nod?
If Wenger remains then I have zero interest in next season.
Anyway as far as players go, Phil Neville summed it up well during last week :

"You cannot assess who Arsenal will buy in the summer until you know who is going to be in charge - if it is, say, Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone then it will be 10 warriors; if Wenger is still manager it will be 10 really nice and pretty footballers"
Can I ask how long you've supported Arsenal because I find it fascinating that a supporter could have no interest in their team, regardless of who the manager is. I've supported Arsenal getting on for 30 years, I just can't imagine having no interest in them, whatever the situation...certain people maybe have a different level of support? Just interested
Im on 46 years and have no interest whatsoever... i remember when we was the arsenal .... your the type of supporter whose ruined it for us.

silus

Post by silus »

I expect abuse for this, but i posted on another thread, that i would only swap our squad for the chavs and maybe the blue mancs.
I think on paper we are better than the vermin, red mancs and the victims. The biggest change (other than manager) is the "4th place is a trophy" attitude that infests the whole club.

It's be nice to show some ambition for a change, and go for Butland or Pickford as a long term keeper solution. I'd also put in a cheeky bid in for Aguero as pep doesn't seem that keen on him.

Hard to say who i'd buy/sell in midfield or defense until we know what system we will be playing.

Oh.....and I'd sell/give away/put down Sanogo.

Swale_Gooner1985

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

augie wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Thoughts? Try not to turn it into a Wenger out thread yeah? We are all Arsenal fans and surely have an interest in next season...let's see your thoughts on how the team go forward...Wenger or not, who gets the nod?

"You cannot assess who Arsenal will buy in the summer until you know who is going to be in charge - if it is, say, Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone then it will be 10 warriors; if Wenger is still manager it will be 10 really nice and pretty footballers"
Can I ask how long you've supported Arsenal because I find it fascinating that a supporter could have no interest in their team, regardless of who the manager is. I've supported Arsenal getting on for 30 years, I just can't imagine having no interest in them, whatever the situation...certain people maybe have a different level of support? Just interested

Can I ask if you have supported The Arsenal for 30 years ? Any long term Gooner that I know is appalled at our cartoon crest and the lack of respect shown to our traditional crest, but yet you are happy to use it as your gif - I suppose it ties into your jcl arsene fc not Arsenal fc ethos doesn't it ? :roll:
Look at the amount of teams that have developed their crest over time....I can't say it worried me too much...the one before this hadn't always been around, things change...apart from Wenger :wink:

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Dodgyknee71 wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:

Im on 46 years and have no interest whatsoever... i remember when we was the arsenal .... your the type of supporter whose ruined it for us.
Totally agree with Dodgyknee

Swale_Gooner1985

Dodgyknee71 wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:

Hahahaha!! sorry for ruining it for you! 46 years supporting a team and have no interest...pathetic

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Dodgyknee71 wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:

Hahahaha!! sorry for ruining it for you! 46 years supporting a team and have no interest...pathetic

oooh love me.... Pathetic

Swale_Gooner1985

flash gunner wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Dodgyknee71 wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
NickF wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Who thinks Dodgyknee is more of a laugh than me? You're having a laugh saying that!!

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Dodgyknee71 wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:

Who thinks Dodgyknee is more of a laugh than me? You're having a laugh saying that!!

Your new supporters lot are little slugs... Little slugs with no personality

Swale_Gooner1985

flash gunner wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Dodgyknee71 wrote:

Your new supporters lot are little slugs... Little slugs with no personality
If it ever does kick off in here though, get out because this will be big boy shit

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Realistically, the club isn't going to get rid of half the squad whether we like it or not. I can envisage 3 or 4 being sold, some other contracts not being renewed.
Crucially, making major changes to the squad will put us further back unless we do a Man City like recruitment in 2011 or Chelski in 2004. With our current board that won't happen.