Everton (H) | PL | Sun 21 May 15:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
postmanPat91

Re: Everton (H) | PL | Sun 21 May 15:00

Post by postmanPat91 »

arseofacrow wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:45 am
The Welbeck thing is that he at least, when all around him are sleeping, at least puts a shift in. While that might be the very minimum expected in this job, it 's apparently not a requirement for much of the Arsenal team. His awareness is good but he appears to lack the quality of a deadly finisher, so there you go. :lol:
So, in other words, 'he runs around a bit' 8) :D

But yeah, if only the rest of our fannys put in half as much effort as he does :cry:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Running around and putting in effort should never justify a place at a club like ours on their own. Can't be overly serious about challenging for the title if Welbeck is getting a regular start up front.

That said Welbeck did play a role in the cup final. The number of times h nicked the ball off a Chelsea player through sheer hard work and pressing, or forced a bad pass, was astonishing. Along with Sanchez, this sort of pressing meant we were winning the ball back much higher up the pitch and in turn playing with a lot more tempo as we were getting on the ball in more dangerous positions in plenty of space.

It was also useful - given that we did have a great tempo to our play - that he generally looked to stretch the defence further with his running rather than cramping our options by coming short too much as Giroud tends to do.

Shame that having the touch of a four year old blew what should have been a certain goal at 1-0 - moments like that in games like that can cost you trophies.

NickF

Post by NickF »

I was actually quite shocked when I saw Welbeck's stats, the most he has scored in a league season is 9 goals.
How has he managed to end up playing for not one but two of the top sides in England when really he is probably mid to lower premier league standard?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

NickF wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:09 am
I was actually quite shocked when I saw Welbeck's stats, the most he has scored in a league season is 9 goals.
How has he managed to end up playing for not one but two of the top sides in England when really he is probably mid to lower premier league standard?
well he is at the right place next season then isn't he :wink:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

NickF wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:09 am
Absolutely damning that he has never hit double figures for league goals given that he's 26 and burst onto the scene as a youngster.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

postmanPat91 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:13 am
arseofacrow wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:45 am
The Welbeck thing is that he at least, when all around him are sleeping, at least puts a shift in. While that might be the very minimum expected in this job, it 's apparently not a requirement for much of the Arsenal team. His awareness is good but he appears to lack the quality of a deadly finisher, so there you go. :lol:
So, in other words, 'he runs around a bit' 8) :D

But yeah, if only the rest of our fannys put in half as much effort as he does :cry:
In a nutflush, yeah! :lol: