Championship playoffs

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bradywasking

Re: Championship playoffs

Post by Bradywasking »

I am a miserable fucker I know but Huddersfield getting promoted after finishing 5th with a minus goal difference and 15 defeats says to me that the playoffs system is very flawed..
We witnessed a great FA Cup Final on Saturday but today's game which was fundamentally a prize for failure was worth more in terms of money which says too much..

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

Leyton Gooner wrote:Never been but I can hazard a guess. Shit derelict northern town. Generic, modern identikit stadium inhabited by Neanderthals singing oop the football league we go while some *word censored* bangs a drum
Bang on from what I hear about the place. Especially the stadium bit! They rent it out to some rugby team as well :banghead:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Difficult to see them doing much based on today's performance.

At least them seem like one of those "football-playing" tinpot Northern clubs like Blackpool who will herald an easy six points, rather than one of the dirty bastard clubs like Blackburn, Bolton, Sheffield United etc.

M3Gooner

Post by M3Gooner »

Congrats to Huddersfield, but today's game was just total shite

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Bradywasking wrote:Was taken to task for saying this last year but I am going to say it again..The playoffs system is morally corrupt. A league is a league and a Cup competition is a Cup competition. Reading and Huddersfield are going to a Wembley final with all the trappings of a Wembley final..new suits , trophy and medals and probably an open top bus parade.
So a club that slogs through 46 games in a season and finishes third can end up empty handed while a team than can finish 15 points behind them can have Wembley glory.
Last Sunday Tranmere played Forest Green at Wembley in a non league play off as a reward for finishing behind Lincoln..
Then people ask why the FA Cup is devalued. But the playoffs are a product of modern football, that is they are a product. Money spinning drama inducing creation of TV companies. It is almost like having an actual trophy for finishing fourth..
Arsene would be well suited to the lower divisions.
Not so sure TBF, Was at Wembley among the 3,500 FGR fans ( :oops: ) who outsung the Tranmere 10,500. :lol: Last season FGR finished 2nd and lost to the 5th side Grimsby at Wembley , this season FGR 3rd and beat Tranmere 2nd. Both matches were really exciting and 3 of the 4 FGR goals were from outside the area and great goals. I know its criticised but going to Wembley is great for the clubs who would be unlikely to go there otherwise, though the FA Trophy and Vase happen at Wembley as well. :oops:

Actually the play offs have been fun.The promoted play off teams dont necessarily fare worse in other leagues partly because they often are the team that hits form at the end of the season so continue that form next season. Grimsby ended the season way higher than the Champions Cheltenham in league 2. The season before that the winners of the play off Bristol rovers ended up with promotion to League 1 the next season. For sure its a lottery, but it IS exciting and Makes the last few weeks much more exciting for teams some distance down the league. The reason why teams fall back down from the PL is more to do with the huge difference financially, as well as parachute payments. I know its not all down to money but it does make a big difference attracting PL standard players who may well then have to be paid when return to The Championship happens. Im not sure about the trophy but it does again give something to celebrate. The loosers dont get to go up for loosers medals :oops:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Leyton Gooner wrote:Never been but I can hazard a guess. Shit derelict northern town. Generic, modern identikit stadium inhabited by Neanderthals singing oop the football league we go while some *word censored* bangs a drum
I. FUCKING. HATE. CÚNTS. THAT. BRING. DRUMS. TO. GAMES. :banghead: :box: :censored:

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
I. FUCKING. HATE. CÚNTS. THAT. BRING. DRUMS. TO. GAMES. :banghead: :box: :censored:
Thats a good one for the modern football is bo***cks thread :)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thats a good one for the modern football is bo***cks thread :)
Yup. :lol: