Championship playoffs

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
M3Gooner

Championship playoffs

Post by M3Gooner »

Reading through to the final, Wednesday and Huddersfield currently 1-1ET.

Who you like to see get the last PL spot? Wednesday or Huddersfield for me.

gp543

Re: Championship playoffs

Post by gp543 »

M3Gooner wrote:Reading through to the final, Wednesday and Huddersfield currently 1-1ET.

Who you like to see get the last PL spot? Wednesday or Huddersfield for me.
Same for me. Despite being close to London, that ground is a ballache to get to with no pubs remotely close by. Usually also lean towards the club that has been up less recently as well.

Gutted it wasn't Fulham though, the boat trip is brilliant.

M3Gooner

Post by M3Gooner »

Huddersfield through on pens!

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Was taken to task for saying this last year but I am going to say it again..The playoffs system is morally corrupt. A league is a league and a Cup competition is a Cup competition. Reading and Huddersfield are going to a Wembley final with all the trappings of a Wembley final..new suits , trophy and medals and probably an open top bus parade.
So a club that slogs through 46 games in a season and finishes third can end up empty handed while a team than can finish 15 points behind them can have Wembley glory.
Last Sunday Tranmere played Forest Green at Wembley in a non league play off as a reward for finishing behind Lincoln..
Then people ask why the FA Cup is devalued. But the playoffs are a product of modern football, that is they are a product. Money spinning drama inducing creation of TV companies. It is almost like having an actual trophy for finishing fourth..
Arsene would be well suited to the lower divisions.

Swale_Gooner1985

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

Bradywasking wrote:Was taken to task for saying this last year but I am going to say it again..The playoffs system is morally corrupt. A league is a league and a Cup competition is a Cup competition. Reading and Huddersfield are going to a Wembley final with all the trappings of a Wembley final..new suits , trophy and medals and probably an open top bus parade.
So a club that slogs through 46 games in a season and finishes third can end up empty handed while a team than can finish 15 points behind them can have Wembley glory.
Last Sunday Tranmere played Forest Green at Wembley in a non league play off as a reward for finishing behind Lincoln..
Then people ask why the FA Cup is devalued. But the playoffs are a product of modern football, that is they are a product. Money spinning drama inducing creation of TV companies. It is almost like having an actual trophy for finishing fourth..
Are the playoffs really a product of modern day football? They've been running like this since the 80s. Teams know the format at the start of the season. Although I agree it must be frustrating finishing 3rd and not leaving a division where 3 teams go up...especially if the 6th team makes it. However it does give extra incentive firstly for teams to push harder for top two and teams around the middle of the table to push for something late in the season knowing 3rd is out of their reach but 6th isn't and both have the same reward.

I guess it keeps more teams interested for longer which is a good thing and what's wrong with a bit of end of season drama?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

i like the play-offs as Swale said everyone knows the rules at the start of the season. They should have it like they did at the start where the team 3rd from bottom in the premier league go into the play offs too. Think i remember the Chavs going down that way too :barscarf:

NickF

Post by NickF »

Bradywasking wrote:Was taken to task for saying this last year but I am going to say it again..The playoffs system is morally corrupt. A league is a league and a Cup competition is a Cup competition. Reading and Huddersfield are going to a Wembley final with all the trappings of a Wembley final..new suits , trophy and medals and probably an open top bus parade.
100% agree with this.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Will be some proper tinpot clubs in the PL if Huddersfield come up to join the likes of Brighton and Bournemouth.

Still, beats having to watch the likes of dirty Northern clubs like Sheffield United, Bolton and Blackburn try and kick their way to survival.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Not sure why you were taken to task, I completely agree.

There is no sporting justification for the play-offs. If 46 games cannot decide the best teams then how can a few more games do it? It also creates these yo-yo teams. If you finish 6th in the Championship, you are not gonna be good enough to survive in the PL.

Its just a money spinner. And it is contrived drama of course. There seems to be a lot of contrived drama about these days - even f-ing cookery shows do it :roll:

Like a lot of things in football, they are tentatively introduced as a one-off or a temporary thing. The FA Cup semi finals at Wembley and the FA Cup final kicking off at 5:30pm for instance. Then they claim the change is popular so they keep it - which was the intention all along.

I still think summer football will happen in my lifetime. Probably the Qatar world cup will be the excuse. They'll have it moved to the winter because of the climate and there will have to be a ''one-off' summer season everywhere... and then they'll keep it, saying how popular it is. :banghead:

Swale_Gooner1985

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

Clash wrote:

There is no sporting justification for the play-offs. If 46 games cannot decide the best teams then how can a few more games do it? It also creates these yo-yo teams. If you finish 6th in the Championship, you are not gonna be good enough to survive in the PL.

Its just a money spinner. And it is contrived drama of course. There seems to be a lot of contrived drama about these days - even f-ing cookery shows do it :roll:

Like a lot of things in football, they are tentatively introduced as a one-off or a temporary thing. The FA Cup semi finals at Wembley and the FA Cup final kicking off at 5:30pm for instance. Then they claim the change is popular so they keep it - which was the intention all along.

I still think summer football will happen in my lifetime. Probably the Qatar world cup will be the excuse. They'll have it moved to the winter because of the climate and there will have to be a ''one-off' summer season everywhere... and then they'll keep it, saying how popular it is. :banghead:
I completely agree that the semi finals being at Wembley is silly and solely done for the money, it lessens the achievement of reaching the final in a way. It used to all be about making it to Wembley and what an event the day was...now both teams in the final have done all that a few weeks before.

I don't agree with your point about a 6th club in the championship not being able to survive in the Premier. They get the same huge payment for achieving promotion so have the same chance of improving their team before August...the gap between a team finishing 3rd and 6th and the strength of their squad in a 24 team division probably isn't going to be too dissimilar

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the worst thing about the playoffs is that the winner gets a trophy, yet the team which finishes above them in second doesnt :rubchin:

the worst thing about the FA Cup is that they moved the final from 3pm (and of course the SFs should not be anywhere near Wembley)

Clash

Post by Clash »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Clash wrote:

I completely agree that the semi finals being at Wembley is silly and solely done for the money, it lessens the achievement of reaching the final in a way. It used to all be about making it to Wembley and what an event the day was...now both teams in the final have done all that a few weeks before.

I don't agree with your point about a 6th club in the championship not being able to survive in the Premier. They get the same huge payment for achieving promotion so have the same chance of improving their team before August...the gap between a team finishing 3rd and 6th and the strength of their squad in a 24 team division probably isn't going to be too dissimilar
Yeah it definitely takes the shine off the final. Also robs us of the tradition of playing a team at a neutral venue. One of the things I loved about the FA Cup semi's was waiting to hear what ground had been chosen for each one. It was something unique to English football.

I take your point about the 6th placed team getting the same payment. To be fair, a lot of teams who get direct promotion are just as likely to go down.

This season both 'Boro and Hull (who won the Wembley play-of) have gone straight back down. And Champions Burnley avoided relegation from the PL for the first time having gone straight back down in their 2 previous PL seasons. Whats the betting one of Sunderland, Hull or 'Boro are back up next year?

Clash

Post by Clash »

Gunner Rob wrote:the worst thing about the playoffs is that the winner gets a trophy, yet the team which finishes above them in second doesnt :rubchin:

the worst thing about the FA Cup is that they moved the final from 3pm (and of course the SFs should not be anywhere near Wembley)
Yeah the trophy and going up the Wembley steps to collect it etc. is just wrong.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

would have liked to see Wednesday come up. as is hope Huddersfield do.

reading and fulham are 2 more boring watford/palaceesque clubs, that added nothing to the prem when they were in it before so nice to see someone new or who hasn't been in it for donkeys years come up.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I'd like Huddesfield to get promoted purely because it would be a new team and a new ground. Reading are one of those boring nothing teams like Hull or Norwich or Palace who come up, do nothing and then go back down a few seasons later. I'd also agree that the play-offs are a fucking joke. It's a pure money-making scheme which can reward a team which finishes seventh and isn't anywhere near good enough to play in the league above. Promote two teams and have a two-legged home and away play-off with the third from bottom team from the league above. None of all this play at Wembley and get a trophy shit.