Usmanov offers Wiggy a Billion Quid for Arsenal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
NickF

Re: Usmanov offers Wiggy a Billion Quid for Arsenal

Post by NickF »

Retro Gunner wrote:But lo and behold, a bid from Usmanov and the fans INSIDE the bowl, can't wait to get stuck into Kroenke !! So, while mixed messages over the protest target is a mistake, would getting after Kroenke gain so much traction, that Wenger becomes a casualty ? Frankly, my head spins with all this bollocks and who the fuck knows which approach is best. :?
For me the timing of the chants was significant. Everton had just scored a penalty and the news from the other games meant we had no chance of making top 4. The crowd were never going to turn on Wenger so took the easy option of Kroenke. If they were truely Kroenke-out why not earlier?

Seems to me with the timing of the announcement this was designed to take the heat off Wenger as the virtual trophy was very unlikely even before the game.

Just my opinion of course.

EastupperA

Post by EastupperA »

Due Diligence in FT, who originally broke Usmanov deal report today that SK weighed the Usmanov offer carefully band fore rejecting i.e despite the announcement he made, it sounds our club might be in play. Article goes on to say othe bidders are standing by.....

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

EastupperA wrote:Due Diligence in FT, who originally broke Usmanov deal report today that SK weighed the Usmanov offer carefully band fore rejecting i.e despite the announcement he made, it sounds our club might be in play. Article goes on to say othe bidders are standing by.....
Of course the club is for sale. After all, Kroenke said they are committed investors. There is simply a point at which the money on the table outweighs their view of the prospective future gains from owning the club.

EastupperA

Post by EastupperA »

northbank123 wrote:
EastupperA wrote:Due Diligence in FT, who originally broke Usmanov deal report today that SK weighed the Usmanov offer carefully band fore rejecting i.e despite the announcement he made, it sounds our club might be in play. Article goes on to say othe bidders are standing by.....
Of course the club is for sale. After all, Kroenke said they are committed investors. There is simply a point at which the money on the table outweighs their view of the prospective future gains from owning the club.
Exactly anyone who takes SK comments at face value miss the big picture, would hope Usmanov comes back with knock out.

Swiss Tony Adams

Post by Swiss Tony Adams »

NickF wrote:
Swiss Tony Adams wrote:
Midz wrote:I like the story of how Usmanov & have been competitors for years and Usmanov would do whatever it took to make Arsenal more successful than Chelsea.

Now that's the sort of owner we could do with. :barscarf:
Only we've missed the boat with the financial doping, so he can't throw money at us like Abramovich did with CFC.
Now it is regulated and the Financial Fair Play thing is ... unbelievably...working.

And to think Abramovich wanted The Arsenal as his first choice.
Oh well, what might have been.

Wouldn't have made any difference with the whole "moral " thing, as we've all been bought now.
Do we really need someone to do that? Back in the day it was probably necessary but now there is so much money in football is it still required, especially at Arsenal who are very cash rich anyway?
Well, we don't now, but at the time it would have been great.
Abramovich was looking for a Club, wanted to buy The Arsenal, and if he had done so, possibly Chelsea would have folded.
Ken Bares certainly wasn't up too much, and Chelsea had major problems.
Quite clearly getting Abramovich was a serious bit of good fortune for them, even though at the time everyone said that Chelsea had bought the League, and what would happen "when" he goes, blah, blah, and foreign investors were "bad", etc., etc

So, imagine if Abramovich had bought The Arsenal in the summer of 2003.

We would still have won the League in 2004, and then - rather than piss about with selling our Home and desecrating the ground afterwards, we could have possibly ( possibly, I don't know ) but we could have possibly kept Highbury and built that fucking monstrosity of a soul-less bowl we have today - or maybe even have built one that wasn't copied from another Stadium in Portugal, and would have been our second home.

Imagine that!

Highbury and Ashburton Grove.

Highbury for Arsenal Ladies and the Academy to play, and the new Stadium for us to become Kings of Europe.

As it is, The Arsenal I knew and loved died with Highbury.

And now there's some USA franchise team playing at a concrete monstrosity in North London with the cannon the wrong way on their red and white shirts, who have somehow been allowed to use the name "Arsenal".

You could not make it up!

Swiss Tony Adams

NickF wrote:
For me the timing of the chants was significant. Everton had just scored a penalty and the news from the other games meant we had no chance of making top 4. The crowd were never going to turn on Wenger so took the easy option of Kroenke. If they were truely Kroenke-out why not earlier?

Seems to me with the timing of the announcement this was designed to take the heat off Wenger as the virtual trophy was very unlikely even before the game.

Just my opinion of course.
It certainly has taken the pressure of him amazingly well.

I thought not getting the Champions League place would have seen all hell break loose at the emirates, against Wenger.
As it is the "fans" made a weak attempt to unsettle a Billionaire who certainly didn't hear the chants live, and is probably not too bothered about it now, having found out hours/days later.

Swiss Tony Adams

northbank123 wrote:
Agreed, but for how much?

And what kind of a *word censored* is going to buy Arsenal PLC for - let's say - £3billion?

And then...having spent £3billion ( whatever the sum is ) would he then want to invest MORE money to get the Club to challenge Real/Barca/Bayern, and would it even be possible, with FFP working, and all the other Clubs raising their prices for us when we come to buy players?

We're not 100% fucked, as there must be a solution out there, but we are mighty close to being the shittiest rich Club that there is, if we're not that already.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Swiss Tony Adams wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Agreed, but for how much?

And what kind of a *word censored* is going to buy Arsenal PLC for - let's say - £3billion?

And then...having spent £3billion ( whatever the sum is ) would he then want to invest MORE money to get the Club to challenge Real/Barca/Bayern, and would it even be possible, with FFP working, and all the other Clubs raising their prices for us when we come to buy players?

We're not 100% fucked, as there must be a solution out there, but we are mighty close to being the shittiest rich Club that there is, if we're not that already.
Literally three posts ago you agreed that it probably isn't necessary now for a owner to invest his own money. You've changed you mind in that time? :wink:

Swiss Tony Adams

NickF wrote: Literally three posts ago you agreed that it probably isn't necessary now for a owner to invest his own money. You've changed you mind in that time? :wink:
:oops:
Yeah, probably.

Three posts ago was answering whether we really need someone to splash millions of his own money at the Club.
It's not possible anymore, and so I answered "well, we don't now", because he couldn't spend it anyway.

But obviously we do need money spent on the right players right now, as the squad needs " 2 or 3 players to make it perfect", according to the one who knows.

The money would have been great in 2003, and it would be great now, but we can't spend it, even it it came tomorrow.

Quite clearly we are in a mess now, and have to upgrade players for next season.
That costs money for buying them and salaries.

Kroenke has been actually very good with giving Wenger money to spend, but Wenger is spending it on the wrong players, and paying average players too much, so we are stuck with a squad who mostly don't want to go as they have an easy life here and a great salary.

I don't know the answer.

And I'll tell you something else...Kroenke and Wenger haven't got the answer either.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

It is true we don't need Abramovich like investment because most of the hard work has already been done, mostly by bleeding the fans dry over the last 11 years sinced we moved to the corporate cash machine.

It is not even so much Usmanov's money (or whoever else's) that we need at this point, it is their vision, drive and ambition for the club and their willingness to take risks by breaking wage structures etc. to get the best players, the club is capable for the most part of supporting this anyway, it is just you will never get it from Kroenke, all evidence points to him being risk adverse, he will only allow the club to take up any risk and never himself and even then only to a limited to degree as he doesn't want to damage his "investment".

http://dailycannon.com/2017/05/kroenke- ... ays-henry/

Good stuff here from Henry, unlike some I don't devalue his opinion because he is an "AKB", ex-players are always going to be biased towards their former manager, especially French one's, that does not stop them being spot on about other things though, I guess this rules him out of the running for DOF now, as Stan wont want anyone with ambition to spend his money. :roll:

I'm praying that Kroenke will take the cash and run in the next year or two, because if he is hanging around I'm afraid it's curtains effectively for Arsenal, we might as well get used to finishing higher midtable regularly, as I have said before Wenger out should have be a given by now, the fact it has even got to this stage of people protesting tells me all I need to know about Kroenke, along with his other investments in the US being also-rans.

Hopefully once Wenger has gone the fans can focus their attention on him, strange coincidence then that he seems reluctant to get rid of Wenger?. :rubchin:

NickF

Post by NickF »

sk-gtfo wrote:
I'm praying that Kroenke will take the cash and run in the next year or two, because if he is hanging around I'm afraid it's curtains effectively for Arsenal, we might as well get used to finishing higher midtable regularly, as I have said before Wenger out should have be a given by now, the fact it has even got to this stage of people protesting tells me all I need to know about Kroenke, along with his other investments in the US being also-rans.

Hopefully once Wenger has gone the fans can focus their attention on him, strange coincidence then that he seems reluctant to get rid of Wenger?. :rubchin:
At the end of the day, there is very little we can do to influence a Usmanov takeover. Yes, we can shout Kroenke out, but he is never in the country to hear it. Ultimately we have to wait for a deal to be struck between billionaires. One thing we could possibly influence is the board to get Usmanov a place on it.

I don't really share your pessimism about being mid-table as I think with the right manager, we can start to win things again. Admittedly it will take time to completely clear the mess that Wenger has left (over-payed players for example), but for me, when we start competing again the ownership issue will not be that important. Could just be wishful thinking on my part. :)

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Kranky is a very astute businessman. He was NEVER going to accept a first offer even if he wanted to sell, he would be mad to unless a buyer is saying this is my one and only offer (even then they may come back). I buy and sell for a living and the moment you show weakness doing either then you have fucked yourself! Kranky will have a figure at which he will sell, but does it match what Usmanov is willing to pay? Guess we'll find out over the next few months. One thing is for sure, Usmanov is likely to have to spunk somewhere around 25 - 30% of his entire fortune to buy Arsenal. How much does he want it? :rubchin:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

NickF wrote: At the end of the day, there is very little we can do to influence a Usmanov takeover. Yes, we can shout Kroenke out, but he is never in the country to hear it. Ultimately we have to wait for a deal to be struck between billionaires. One thing we could possibly influence is the board to get Usmanov a place on it.

I don't really share your pessimism about being mid-table as I think with the right manager, we can start to win things again. Admittedly it will take time to completely clear the mess that Wenger has left (over-payed players for example), but for me, when we start competing again the ownership issue will not be that important. Could just be wishful thinking on my part. :)
The only thing we can do is stop going to games or if that is not possible shout him out but as you say will he take any notice?, will the bad headlines in the papers, social media etc. effect him?, unlikely perhaps but also you have to consider that the club is overall on a downward trend, offset by the new TV money of course, but if we struggle to get back in the CL then our next commercial deals become more difficult to keep pace with rivals, and our brand becomes less valuable as glory hunters decide to follow other clubs.

My main worry though is his track record is mediocre, so I fear despite falling away from the top 4 if we still produce healthy (though not spectacular) profits he will stick around anyway, that is a truly terrifying prospect, similar in a way to the last 10 years under Wenger - "death by a thousand cuts".

I don't think we can take much from his statement about it being long term though, well I hope not anyway, it is what you would expect from someone who wants the highest return on their investment whether that is long term or short term.

I agree if we get the right manager (structure as well) then we can win things despite his presence but I feel that all the evidence points towards Kroenke not having the ambition to do that, after all he has kept faith with Wenger and clearly set him the objective of top 4 being the only tangible target of "success", as well as past statements about being an investor, self-sustaining and not being in the business to win trophies.

Each to their own but for me personally if Kroenke sticks around I wont ever be setting foot inside the Emirates again or spending any money that directly benefits him, at least not until I see some real intent to win real trophies (PL/CL), not flukey cup runs or virtual top 4 shareholders cup.

I hope if Chelsea beat us in the cup final he is there to hear a nice little sing-a-long especially for him. :twisted:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

no way is Wiggy gonna sell (yet) he's sitting back and the tills are all a singing and a ringing "Kerrrching! kerrr -Fuckin-Chingggggggggggg!"

:evil: :cry: :banghead:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

TeeCee wrote:Kranky is a very astute businessman. He was NEVER going to accept a first offer even if he wanted to sell, he would be mad to unless a buyer is saying this is my one and only offer (even then they may come back). I buy and sell for a living and the moment you show weakness doing either then you have fucked yourself! Kranky will have a figure at which he will sell, but does it match what Usmanov is willing to pay? Guess we'll find out over the next few months. One thing is for sure, Usmanov is likely to have to spunk somewhere around 25 - 30% of his entire fortune to buy Arsenal. How much does he want it? :rubchin:
:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! So This IS Yours! :lol: :wink: