1 Arsenal player in England Squad

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Rugby Gooner

1 Arsenal player in England Squad

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Shows just how much that our stock has fallen. :banghead:
I remember the days when 2/3 of the England team were Arsenal players,and several others were distributed among the other Home nations as well as the rest of the World. :evil:

Nos89

Re: 1 Arsenal player in England Squad

Post by Nos89 »

To be fair he is the one English player that has played regularly for the first team in the last two months, so hardly surprising.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:To be fair he is the one English player that has played regularly for the first team in the last two months, so hardly surprising.
Good point,but I was also trying to make the point that we used to bring through and/or sign a lot more English players than we do now. Not just English but other home nation players.

augie

Post by augie »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Nos89 wrote:To be fair he is the one English player that has played regularly for the first team in the last two months, so hardly surprising.
Good point,but I was also trying to make the point that we used to bring through and/or sign a lot more English players than we do now. Not just English but other home nation players.

And you would be hard pressed to find two top quality players between all those 4 home nations and Ireland combined :oops:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

augie wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:

And you would be hard pressed to find two top quality players between all those 4 home nations and Ireland combined :oops:
I was including Ireland in the "Home Nation" thing,but didn't know how to negotiate the pc thing,like is your bird your "partner,"your "significant other," or your "Bread Knife,"? :lol:

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Rob Holding was cheated a place. Better than Stones, let alone Phil fuking Jones.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Wilson wrote:Rob Holding was cheated a place. Better than Stones, let alone Phil fuking Jones.
I really like the look of Holding. Very impressive again yesterday.

I would prefer him to be left out of the England squad for now though and remain low key. Hopefully he can develop the right way and Wenger and the English press won't ruin him.

augie

Post by augie »

Wilson wrote:Rob Holding was cheated a place. Better than Stones, let alone Phil fuking Jones.

Look, I like the early signs from holding and I def think that he has started better than the last few centre backs signings, but lets not get ahead of ourselves and start crowning him as a top defender after less than 10 starts - I remember how some fans w*nked themselves furiously at the early performances of Gabriel and mustafi, and I would suggest that neither have panned out thus far

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:

I would prefer him to be left out of the England squad for now though and remain low key. Hopefully he can develop the right way and Wenger and the English press won't ruin him.
Absolutely, didn't Jenkinson & Chambers collect England caps on the back of being squad players for us ?

Much prefer him to keep below the radar, keep the pressure off him for as long as possible.

beck

Post by beck »

No arsenal players were in the England squads that went to Mexico 1970 or Italian 90
We did the double in 70/71 and won the league losing 1 game in 90/91.
Holding and chambers are in the England under 21 squad going to Poland for the European championships

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Clash wrote:

Agreed. Just look at what expectations has done to Stones.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Fact is England is a shit team with very shit managers if that changes then I will care not many Arsenal players are in the team. It's full of spuds and they fail at international level.

Swiss Tony Adams

Post by Swiss Tony Adams »

Rugby Gooner wrote:Shows just how much that our stock has fallen. :banghead:
I remember the days when 2/3 of the England team were Arsenal players...
Those were the days... :barscarf: :wink:

Swiss Tony Adams

Post by Swiss Tony Adams »

beck wrote:No arsenal players were in the England squads that went to Mexico 1970 or Italian 90
We did the double in 70/71 and won the league losing 1 game in 90/91.
Holding and chambers are in the England under 21 squad going to Poland for the European championships
Italia '90 we* would have won the World Cup with our squad and Seaman, Gascoigne and Lineker.

"And when I say "we", I mean The Arsenal.

Seaman,
Dixon, WInterburn, Adams, Bould
Rocastle, Thomas, Davis, Merson
SmIth and Lineker

subs... Lukic, Hayes, Marwood, Platt, Gascoigne

Just to remind everyone, this was the England team when Gazza cried...
England (5-3-2):
Peter Shilton;
Paul Parker, Terry Butcher, Mark Wright, Des Walker, Stuart Pearce;
Chris Waddle, Paul Gascoigne, David Platt;
Gary Lineker, Peter Beardsley.

We would have played them off the park.
We were a team!

beck

Post by beck »

Seaman had a thumb injury or he would have gone
Adams was axed for Mark Wright