Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by DB10GOONER »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:34 am
Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:47 pm
Actually I think the quality of the Prem is on the up this season, especially compared to the last few which were horrid...see LC winning the title.

I guess we'll really see when the knock out stages of the CL gets going and see how many English teams make it to the quarters and semi finals.

Yeah the LC win was a weird season but I'm not seeing quality football this season apart from City and the Liverpool attack. Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs have all gone backward and the games I'm seeing on TV are not so entertaining apart from Burnley who are having a blinder. You have to admit that the Spanish teams have dropped and overall the quality in the Champ League is making our teams look good so they will probably do well apart from Spurs who will lose.
:shock:

That's gonna upset a few people on here. Cuz y'know like if the scum like win the CL like then Wenger will like be sacked or sumfing... :lol: :wink:

wibble

Post by wibble »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:41 pm
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Actually I think the quality of the Prem is on the up this season, especially compared to the last few which were horrid...see LC winning the title.

I guess we'll really see when the knock out stages of the CL gets going and see how many English teams make it to the quarters and semi finals.

Yeah the LC win was a weird season but I'm not seeing quality football this season apart from City and the Liverpool attack. Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs have all gone backward and the games I'm seeing on TV are not so entertaining apart from Burnley who are having a blinder. You have to admit that the Spanish teams have dropped and overall the quality in the Champ League is making our teams look good so they will probably do well apart from Spurs who will lose.

That's gonna upset a few people on here. Cuz y'know like if the scum like win the CL like then Wenger will like be sacked or sumfing... :lol: :wink:
Yeah that and city going unbeaten is surely on every true gooners Christmas wish list!
Just to see the look on Wenger's face.

Oh I almost forgot, hope we get relegated too

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wibble wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:02 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:41 pm
supergeorgegraham wrote:

Yeah that and city going unbeaten is surely on every true gooners Christmas wish list!
Just to see the look on Wenger's face.

Oh I almost forgot, hope we get relegated too
:lol:

Straight up we've gotta get that Sewing Machine prize to you Wibs! :lol: :wink:

Paulio

Post by Paulio »

Arsenal v spurs from 1990 on now on bt sport. Adams just scored in front of the North bank.

Everything about the game was so much better then!

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

the PL this year is an absolute pile of shite. St Stephen’s Day (Boxing Day) football and stadium half empty because there’s nothing really to fight for.

Another one of these seasons and watch the FA make a few rule changes

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:02 pm
the PL this year is an absolute pile of shite. St Stephen’s Day (Boxing Day) football and stadium half empty because there’s nothing really to fight for.

Another one of these seasons and watch the FA make a few rule changes

They'll try and make the league more competitive by giving Wanker a new contract as that in itself will ensure more teams get 3 points more regularly.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Calendar years and joint top..Two phrases that were not common until recently..Football is not played in a calender year (although Arsenal did try use it to create an impression of success) and unless both teams are level on exactly everything then you cannot have teams joint top..Both phrases integrated into football vocabulary by the media to again create an impression of success.

Also alternative strips. Yesterday Liverpool played Swansea. Liverpool wear all red Swansea wear all white..Simple , no chance of confusion but Swansea wore an all black kit...They are not the only ones to do so. Once upon a time you only wore your away kit out of complete necessity.

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:10 am
Rugby Gooner wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:48 am
Leyton Gooner wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:07 am
Celebrity pundit in the studio yesterday at Old Trafford. Noel Gallagher is a genuine Manchester City fan , but what can he offer a serious match day discussion? It becomes Soccer AM stuff.
Even his goal "celebration " looked false.
Also on Saturday West Ham United defender Fonte was a studio pundit for their game against Chelsea. How can he be objective or critical ?
All the pundits are shit tbh. Don't give a toss what any of them say or think. Just get straight to the match. Don't bother having any bastard commentators droning on about what we can all see with our own eyes either.
I remember when sky gave you the option of turning the commentary off,and just having the crowd noise,much better.
Wonder why they stopped that? :rubchin: Maybe they realised 90% of people turned their shit commentators off? :lol:

I always listened without the commentators b******it. Fan Zone was good for a while mind.

Now most of the SS bunch are pretty shit TBH. Graeme Souness does make me laugh once in a while.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

ITS ALL SHIT

THE PL IS SHIT

THE TEAMS ARE ALL SHIT

THE ARSENAL ARE SHIT

ALL THE FANS ARE SHIT HEADS

THE COMMENTATORS ARE ALL SHIT

THIS FORUM IS SHIT

BREXIT IS SHIT

THE WEATHER IS SHIT

SHI SHIT SHIT

There, I feel like I belong here now :roll: :barscarf: :lol:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:17 am
ITS ALL SHIT

THE PL IS SHIT

THE TEAMS ARE ALL SHIT

THE ARSENAL ARE SHIT

ALL THE FANS ARE SHIT HEADS

THE COMMENTATORS ARE ALL SHIT

THIS FORUM IS SHIT

BREXIT IS SHIT

THE WEATHER IS SHIT

SHI SHIT SHIT

There, I feel like I belong here now :roll: :barscarf: :lol:
Stop being negative look at all the positives:

Errr... we're still alive...

Err... at least Spurs, Chelsea or United wont win the PL...

Err... clutching at straws here...

:banghead:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Taking around a minute each time a goal is scored to get the game restarted.

Twats.

:banghead:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:57 am
Calendar years and joint top..Two phrases that were not common until recently..Football is not played in a calender year (although Arsenal did try use it to create an impression of success) and unless both teams are level on exactly everything then you cannot have teams joint top..Both phrases integrated into football vocabulary by the media to again create an impression of success.

Also alternative strips. Yesterday Liverpool played Swansea. Liverpool wear all red Swansea wear all white..Simple , no chance of confusion but Swansea wore an all black kit...They are not the only ones to do so. Once upon a time you only wore your away kit out of complete necessity.
Agree on both points.

Sadly I think in 10 years time the football season will be played over the calendar year and it will be a summer sport. I wouldn't be surprised if the Qatar world cup is the catalyst. It will moved to the winter .... and we'll then see the start of calendar year seasons after this. It will be sold to us as a one-off / experimental type thing at first .... but then it will be hailed as being a success and very popular ... and then it will become the norm. All quite deliberate.

This away kit thing has gone beyond laughable now. Not only to teams now change when it is not necessary (your example of Swansea at Liverpool is the perfect example) but teams are now even changing to wear kits that are actually closer to the home teams colours than their home kit is. Remember us wearing black and yellow at Watford instead of a better contrast of red and white :roll:

And now the necessity of a third kit isnt even questioned. So much so that in our case we have two change strips that are very similar to each other. So similar that neither one of ours was suitable to wear at West Brom ... resulting in us wearing red shorts for the first time in 40 years. Something we could have worn at Everton ... but oh no not when our black and pink kit can be used. :roll:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Not sure this is just modern football but its a co-commentator cliche that gets right on my nerves and gets churned out game after game by the likes of Davie Proven.

Its the one where they say ''that was a great cross into a dangerous area and he is entitled to think someone should have got on the end of that''.

How is it a good cross when there was nobody there to get on the end of it? Is not looking up before you swing the ball in hoping someone is there acceptable ? Is crossing to nobody really worthy of praise? To me it is wasting possession.

I thought the idea is that you aim the ball into a place where your teammates are able to get to it? If they are not where they should be ... then dont fucking put the ball there .... and then stand there with your hands out asking why not.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Not just a "modern" issue but it seems to get worse every year, especially with the click-bait obsession nowadays - the fucking half truths and outright lies that the meeja publish, often taking words out of context to make a story where there is no story... Here's a perfect example;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... fer-gossip

Headline screams; Mustafi “does not care” if Ozil and Sanchez leave obviously trying to imply that he has a problem with the two other players and is getting shirty about it. They even say; "when it comes to whether the two will still be at the club come February, the centre-back revealed he “does not care".”

Then when you read the actual quote what he says is;

“Obviously, they are important – they are two big players. Alexis has been scoring a lot of goals, Mesut has been scoring and assisting a lot of goals so obviously they are very important because they are top class players. But the headlines, that is something really personal for them. They decide [their futures] with the manager so I don’t care too much about it.”

He's obviously saying he doesn't spend every minute thinking about someone else's contract negotiations, but not saying he doesn't care whether they stay or go.

Meeja cúnts. :roll: :censored:

Clash

Post by Clash »

bergkamp10 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:21 am

I always listened without the commentators b******it. Fan Zone was good for a while mind.
Have to say I thought the FanZone thing was cringeworthy bollocks and could only happen in the modern era where being seen on TV and becoming some mini-celebrity is the main attraction.

And how many of us would be able to sit there and take it when someone is balling in our face after their team has just scored a late winner against you? It just played along to the stereotypical fan that the media desperately wants to exist. Partisan and passionate but still able to shake hands at the end :roll:

Opting to be in a TV studio instead of the ground ..... shouting and screaming cliches ....... making up your own player nicknames hoping they will catch on ........ and wearing a replica kit is not my idea of a real fan. Its my idea of an attention seeking knob. The fact that nobody got punched in the face live on air makes me question the whole integrity of it. I am glad they've finally dropped that juvenile bullshit.