Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:07 am
Celebrity pundit in the studio yesterday at Old Trafford. Noel Gallagher is a genuine Manchester City fan , but what can he offer a serious match day discussion? It becomes Soccer AM stuff.
Even his goal "celebration " looked false.
Also on Saturday West Ham United defender Fonte was a studio pundit for their game against Chelsea. How can he be objective or critical ?
All the pundits are shit tbh. Don't give a toss what any of them say or think. Just get straight to the match. Don't bother having any bastard commentators droning on about what we can all see with our own eyes either.

Mistical92

Post by Mistical92 »

Minimalist football would be decent. No pre-match build-up or post match droning. Just the 90 minutes with either one main commentator or an option to have no commentary.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Celebrity pundit in the studio yesterday at Old Trafford. Noel Gallagher is a genuine Manchester City fan , but what can he offer a serious match day discussion? It becomes Soccer AM stuff.
Also on Saturday West Ham United defender Fonte was a studio pundit for their game against Chelsea. How can he be objective or critical ?
All the pundits are shit tbh. Don't give a toss what any of them say or think. Just get straight to the match. Don't bother having any bastard commentators droning on about what we can all see with our own eyes either.
I remember when sky gave you the option of turning the commentary off,and just having the crowd noise,much better.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:48 am
Leyton Gooner wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
I remember when sky gave you the option of turning the commentary off,and just having the crowd noise,much better.
Wonder why they stopped that? :rubchin: Maybe they realised 90% of people turned their shit commentators off? :lol:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Mistical92 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:04 pm
Minimalist football would be decent. No pre-match build-up or post match droning. Just the 90 minutes with either one main commentator or an option to have no commentary.
That is a good idea...When we went on our run to the Champions League Final in 2006 I had a routine of only wanting to know the starting team prior to the game...I would have anything on the TV up till maybe ten minutes before kick off..I worked with a bloke who always said that there was no point in build ups and predictions because someone could get sent off early in the game and the predictions were gone..Oddly he was correct for the final.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Agree with the minimalist coverage thing. Look at the way the coverage of this game ends. It's just beautiful.

Click to the final whistle around 1:36.15

phpBB [video]

A very watchable game with a lot of incidents to talk about ... but as the band comes onto the pitch the camera pans out and the commentator just says ''and with that I say good afternoon to you from Wembley stadium. Final score England 2, Scotland 3''.

Nowadays football and TV is filled with so much dross and pointless waffle. Im old enough to remember the test card girl. Basically this was the BBC saying there was nothing worth showing at that moment so they were shutting down for a few hours. I wish football TV execs would do this. ''There is no game worth showing live this weekend so we'll just show highlights of them all on Saturday night''.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:00 am
NickF wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:14 am
BFG4 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:56 pm
I didn't know which thread to put this, but fuck the FA and their 'rainbow laces campaign':

I have zero problem with gay people, but i do have a problem with self-serving bullshit. The way to deal with homophobia in football, is to educate people on it when they are young, in the hope they will have the correct attitude towards people who are different to them, when they are older. I can't see a homophobic person, changing their attitude towards gay people, because they see a footballer with stripy laces. This nonsense is right up there with people who create hashtags on social media, whenever a tragedy happens. It's all self-serving, PC bullshit, which does nothing to help or tackle the issues in question.

Rant over :banghead:
Us in the lower leagues (Southend United) have to put up with rainbow corner flags "in support of LGBT+". I go to watch a football match, I couldn't care less if the players or supporters are LBGT+ as it is completely irrelevent.
It's all part of the need to be seen doing and saying the right things. I wouldn't say it is totally political correctness, more social media correctness. In time of tragedy we fall over ourselves to get to social media to outdo the previous post or tweet in profoundness and poignancy. " In my thoughts and prayers" how meaningless of a statement is that in an essentially godless world?
In Dublin we have a homeless crisis, which is played out daily on social media with the poor unfortunate homeless people pawns in a game of forced and false indignation with our Government..Not exonerating our useless Government but in reality for some homelessness is a lifestyle choice. Yet why let a fact take from ones right to voice ones opinion ( usually with dreadfu grammar and spelling) on social media.
I'm not homophobic , but if I was the sight of 22 pairs of rainbow laces taking to the pitch at a game wouldn't educate me or change my opinion.
There seems to be a whole new industry built around it.........

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

A11M11 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:13 pm
Thought about toothache ,? or perhaps earache .
unless they were all suffering, one was sharing it around so they all had a go.....WANKERS

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:45 am
Redarmy wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:54 am
Modern Football Bollox

Chelsea sub at the Olympic stadium holding a hot water bottle to his FACE???

As Johnathon Pearce the commentator said...what would "Chopper"Harris and Billy Bonds think about that.. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
:oops: :oops:

Fuck Chopper Harris - what would even a big girl's blouse think about it? :lol: :oops: :lol:
few on here better ask them :wink:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Redarmy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:48 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Modern Football Bollox

As Johnathon Pearce the commentator said...what would "Chopper"Harris and Billy Bonds think about that.. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Fuck Chopper Harris - what would even a big girl's blouse think about it? :lol: :oops: :lol:
There was one being passed about on one of the benches last night during the Reading v Cardiff game....Think it was the Reading subs...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 am
Redarmy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:48 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Modern Football Bollox

There was one being passed about on one of the benches last night during the Reading v Cardiff game....Think it was the Reading subs...
We are still talking about hot water bottles, right? Not dodgy birds? Just with footballers you never know.... :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Redarmy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:47 am
A11M11 wrote:
unless they were all suffering, one was sharing it around so they all had a go.....WANKERS
Again, hot water bottles, right? Not some Page 3 slag...? :rubchin:

:D :wink:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:20 am
Redarmy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:47 am
A11M11 wrote:
Again, hot water bottles, right? Not some Page 3 slag...? :rubchin:

:D :wink:
Much rather the page 3 slag....would not worry about a toothache :wink:

Mistical92

Post by Mistical92 »

Clash wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 am
Agree with the minimalist coverage thing. Look at the way the coverage of this game ends. It's just beautiful.

A very watchable game with a lot of incidents to talk about ... but as the band comes onto the pitch the camera pans out and the commentator just says ''and with that I say good afternoon to you from Wembley stadium. Final score England 2, Scotland 3''.
Oh that is lovely!

I never knew Sky had tried the no commentary option, I've certainly never seen it available.

I'd also like to see Sky etc sometimes just admit what they're showing isn't that great. There's no need to hype up Bournemouth v Burnley or QPR v Middlesbrough. Only the actual football fans are going to be watching anyway and they know enough about football to know when the game is inconsequential and shit.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Mistical92 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 pm
Clash wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 am

Oh that is lovely!

I never knew Sky had tried the no commentary option, I've certainly never seen it available.

I'd also like to see Sky etc sometimes just admit what they're showing isn't that great. There's no need to hype up Bournemouth v Burnley or QPR v Middlesbrough. Only the actual football fans are going to be watching anyway and they know enough about football to know when the game is inconsequential and shit.
Stoke City v West Brom..............how can you possibly big that up? even Attenborough would struggle to make that sound interesting,and they want a hundred quid a month for the pleasure. :suicide: