My First Arsenal Team

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Allgunsblazin

Re: My First Arsenal Team

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 7:08 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Herd wrote:Im here ,the world was in black and white then ,I remember them replacing pounds shillings and pence with decimal coinage but never when the world went from black and white to colour .

Even when he was young Peter Simpson looked like he was 50 !

Even in B&W that strip looks fucking awesome. I love that 60s/70s simple red body white sleeves white shorts proper cannon. 8)

Ooohh the fucking 'Member Berries got me now... :lol: :wink:
Herd must be fucking ancient if that is Don Howe in the team strip.... :shock:

Herd name all the players, a lot of em seem to be ex RAF Brylcreme Boys..... :?

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:38 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Herd wrote:Im here ,the world was in black and white then ,I remember them replacing pounds shillings and pence with decimal coinage but never when the world went from black and white to colour .

Even in B&W that strip looks fucking awesome. I love that 60s/70s simple red body white sleeves white shorts proper cannon. 8)

I recognise 9....

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:34 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:37 pm
1 Bob Wilson
2 Pat Rice
3 Bob McNab
4 Peter Storey
5 Frank McLintock
6 Peter Simpson
7 George Armstrong
8 George Graham
9 John Radford
10 Ray Kennedy
11 Charlie George

But I also remember Jon Sammels, Sammy Nelson, and Eddie Kelly who actually had the equaliser against Liverpool in 71 despite Honest George staking a claim to the goal, watch it again to see if it's conclusive :? 8)
Yes Sammels, and Eddie Kelly had games Charlie was not always in first team...Sammy Nelson came later into the team to replace Bob McNab

Peter Simpson was unflappable, never seen him under pressure, very underrated .....

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:40 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:38 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I recognise 9....
see Jimmy robertson is there, think he had a brother who played for Spurs?

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Jimmy Robertson played for N17; we swapped him for David Jenkins IIRC. Also I think JR was a bit later than this pic (late 60's rather than mid 60's).

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Red Snapper wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:49 pm
Jimmy Robertson played for N17; we swapped him for David Jenkins IIRC. Also I think JR was a bit later than this pic (late 60's rather than early 60's).
Actually Red Snapper, that picture is late 60's, it's about 68/69. Jimmy Robertson was a quality winger and did indeed come from Spurs and as you say, Jenkins went the other way (cue the gay jokes).

As Red Army says, Peter Simpson was a class centre half and in recent times, where you've only got to be able to put your boots on the right feet to get a cap, he would have won loads. As indeed would the guy that absolutely everyone lived......Geordie Armstrong. A travesty that he never got a single cap.

Blimey, there were no end of heros in that side, especially for the young boy that I was and Stroller was a class act too.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Red Snapper wrote:
Jimmy Robertson played for N17; we swapped him for David Jenkins IIRC. Also I think JR was a bit later than this pic (late 60's rather than mid 60's).
Yes thats it....

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:07 pm
Red Snapper wrote:
Jimmy Robertson played for N17; we swapped him for David Jenkins IIRC. Also I think JR was a bit later than this pic (late 60's rather than early 60's).
Actually Red Snapper, that picture is late 60's, it's about 68/69. Jimmy Robertson was a quality winger and did indeed come from Spurs and as you say, Jenkins went the other way (cue the gay jokes).

As Red Army says, Peter Simpson was a class centre half and in recent times, where you've only got to be able to put your boots on the right feet to get a cap, he would have won loads. As indeed would the guy that absolutely everyone lived......Geordie Armstrong. A travesty that he never got a single cap.

Blimey, there were no end of heros in that side, especially for the young boy that I was and Stroller was a class act too.
Yes Geordie Armstrong, was amazing .....Radford and Kennedy in the middle, team of leaders who all stuck together as a team

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:06 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 7:41 pm
Kelsey
Charlton
Evans
Dodgin
Bloomfield
Bowen
Clapton
Holton
Tapscott
Nutt
Groves. Vic not Perry.
Admit to looking it up I had trouble recalling Charlton and Nutt. Beat Preston Dereck Tapscott 2 goals Vic Groves 1.
Thats going back a bit, is that not the thirties team????
1956 to be precise , I was 9 at the time. Some of us have been around a long time but still want Wenger to go and take Kroenke with him.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:42 am
Redarmy wrote:
A11M11 wrote:
Kelsey
Charlton
Evans
Dodgin
Bloomfield
Bowen
Clapton
Holton
Tapscott
Nutt
Groves. Vic not Perry.
Admit to looking it up I had trouble recalling Charlton and Nutt. Beat Preston Dereck Tapscott 2 goals Vic Groves 1.
1956 to be precise , I was 9 at the time. Some of us have been around a long time but still want Wenger to go and take Kroenke with him.
Fair play to you mate :D
Was Billy Wright the Manager at the time?....only heard all this from my dad who was attending games at that time....

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Redarmy wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:30 am
A11M11 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
A11M11 wrote:
Kelsey
Charlton
Evans
Dodgin
Bloomfield
Bowen
Clapton
Holton
Tapscott
Nutt
Groves. Vic not Perry.
Was Billy Wright the Manager at the time?....only heard all this from my dad who was attending games at that time....
It was either Whittaker or Crayston , too young at the time to take an interest in that sort of thing . Billy Wright came later and I was there the night of the North Bank fires against Leeds . Shame we can't do similar things now. Football has lost it's soul and the smoking ban has taken away the matches.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:45 pm
Redarmy wrote:
A11M11 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
A11M11 wrote:
Kelsey
Charlton
Evans
Dodgin
Bloomfield
Bowen
Clapton
Holton
Tapscott
Nutt
Groves. Vic not Perry.
It was either Whittaker or Crayston , too young at the time to take an interest in that sort of thing . Billy Wright came later and I was there the night of the North Bank fires against Leeds . Shame we can't do similar things now. Football has lost it's soul and the smoking ban has taken away the matches.
yes i heard about that, so cold they started lighting fires on the North Bank...think it was a record low crowd as well..
Do you have memories of the Inter City Fairs Cup against Andelecht...only seen it on you tube....looked incredible atmosphere at Highbury

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Redarmy wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:18 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
A11M11 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

yes i heard about that, so cold they started lighting fires on the North Bank...think it was a record low crowd as well..
Do you have memories of the Inter City Fairs Cup against Andelecht...only seen it on you tube....looked incredible atmosphere at Highbury
BEST NIGHT EVER! I was 18 at the time so Arsenal hadn't won anything or been near winning anything since I was a baby (in a Spurs loving household!!!). It was a delerious night. On the pitch at the end, atmosphere like we'd never experienced and noise we'd never made before. Twelve months later and we're on the pitch at the shithole celebrating a league championship but, great as that was it wasn't as great as the night of the Fairs Cup triumph.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Red Snapper wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:38 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:18 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
A11M11 wrote:

BEST NIGHT EVER! I was 18 at the time so Arsenal hadn't won anything or been near winning anything since I was a baby (in a Spurs loving household!!!). It was a delerious night. On the pitch at the end, atmosphere like we'd never experienced and noise we'd never made before. Twelve months later and we're on the pitch at the shithole celebrating a league championship but, great as that was it wasn't as great as the night of the Fairs Cup triumph.

what i have seen and heard about it, and the long wait for a trophy think you are right mate..they have given us great memories
First trophy i saw them win was 1971 cup Final against Liverpool....that was a great day :D

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Fairs cup night , never to be forgotten it was when we shoved it right down all the crowing Spurs supporters throats. Followed by the double the next season especially the win at right tart lane . Happy days indeed.