Ban The Sun from Arsenal Football Club Petition

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Almunia is a clown

Ban The Sun from Arsenal Football Club Petition

Post by Almunia is a clown »

GranadaJoe

Re: Ban The Sun from Arsenal Football Club Petition

Post by GranadaJoe »

I don't think we should risk turning into the Victims.

The Sun is a ridiculous, shit-filled comic for adults who want to pretend they read a newspaper, but the scumbag was wearing an Arsenal shirt, and while not directly relevant to the atrocity, it is an example of the hypocrisy of many of these radicalised islamists, 'like drink, drugs, girls and footie, but hate the West'.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:41 pm
I don't think we should risk turning into the Victims.

The Sun is a ridiculous, shit-filled comic for adults who want to pretend they read a newspaper, but the scumbag was wearing an Arsenal shirt, and while not directly relevant to the atrocity, it is an example of the hypocrisy of many of these radicalised islamists, 'like drink, drugs, girls and footie, but hate the West'.
Agreed, surely we are above the "Victim" mentality of the Bin Dippers!
Fuck The Sun,and fuck becoming bottom feeding scum like the scousers.
We are better than that.
WE don't need to victimise ourselves to justify our existence,we are ARSENAL FOOTBALL CLUB. :barscarf:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Ban Wenger from Arsenal. He's caused more damage than anything else over the years.

bunch

Post by bunch »

I dont read the Sun so did they do anything more than point out that one of the murderers was wearing an Arsenal shirt?

If they made a point of the hypocracy of hating the western world but supporting two of its institutions, Arsenal FC and the Premier League, that would be a good thing wouldn't it? Just because it was Arsenal is neither here nor there. Could easily have been Manyoo, Victimpool, Chavs.

Surely they weren't suggesting that supporting Arsenal equates to being an islamic extremist? That would be protestable. Maybe that is a mental leap some of our fans are making because you see someone in our shirt and think "he is one of ours" but we don't want him to be considered one of us and take umbrage that the Sun have pointed out a fact we don't like. Dunno, what exactly did they say?

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

I really don't get the outrage for this.

Was it an inappropriate headline? Yes

Was he wearing an Arsenal top? Yes

It's a sensationalist headline (as they do) with what very little info they had on the nutcase.

I'm more outraged that Arsenal feel the need to have a prayer room at the Emirates than this, that's also completely inappropriate IMO, do they hand our bibles with every programme and why the need to mix religion with football?

Plenty of Mosques on the Holloway rd.

I'm not signing the Sun petition, it looks like a case of people wanting to be offended, more concerned/upset about the poor people that died.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:12 pm
I really don't get the outrage for this.

Was it an inappropriate headline? Yes

Was he wearing an Arsenal top? Yes

It's a sensationalist headline (as they do) with what very little info they had on the nutcase.

I'm more outraged that Arsenal feel the need to have a prayer room at the Emirates than this, that's also completely inappropriate IMO, do they hand our bibles with every programme and why the need to mix religion with football?

Plenty of Mosques on the Holloway rd.

I'm not signing the Sun petition, it looks like a case of people wanting to be offended, more concerned/upset about the poor people that died.
The prayer room I would imagine is for players and families like Ozil, Elneney and whoever else is of the Muslim faith - it's not doing any harm is it ?

THe sun didn't need to put it as their headline as it takes away from the actual horror of what they did, but it has to be said he was wearing an Arsenal shirt.......they could have just as easily said Hertz rental van killers, but they didn't did they.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Gunnersaurus wrote:

I'm more outraged that Arsenal feel the need to have a prayer room at the Emirates than this, that's also completely inappropriate IMO, do they hand our bibles with every programme and why the need to mix religion with football
Absolutely correct.
This is just more pc bollocks.
We are a football club,not a religious organisation.
There was a prayer room at a place that I used to work.It was supposed to be for all faiths.
The muslims took it over and turned it into a mini-mosque.
They threatened a born again Christian lad who tried to use it,and 3 or 4 of them were caught sleeping in there when on shift.
Others were found watching beheading videos on their phones,and some dodgy islamist literature was found in there.
I know this because my Uncle was one of the Union Officials who was involved in the investigations.
If people want to pray,or whatever,they should do it in their own time in recognised places of worship,or in their own homes.
They should also be banned from religious displays on the pitch,either that or they should also allow any overt political gestures that players or fans wish to make.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Had something similar in my work place last year - It is meant to be a Meeting room come training room...but a couple of different groups/individuals use it for prayer/meditation etc - I have been using it on and off for 2 years to Meditate.

Anyway two other departments were moved to our building and of the new people; 3 muslim employees started going in there with their prayer mats, no problem, so I was in there 'in the peace & quiet' and they just stroll in talking etc, so I explained very calmly I was in there to meditate, and had been doing so as part of my daily routine for 2 years+ One of them said 'meditation isn't prayer' - I tried to make light of it by saying 'try telling that to the 460 Million Buddhists world wide', they got very iffy and so I left it at that, BUT I went out and bought some Tibetan Bells and a Singing bowl - Cost me £55 quid, but made sure I went in there every day twice a day and 'meditated' Using the Bells and Singing Bowl - People in the office got to hear about what they said etc - Not from me btw - and some of them began using it also, on 4 women do Yoga in there, and it is now used by 2 protestants, 5 RC's and Me and a few others who enjoy the quiet. The 3 muslims have said they don't want to use it any more. Someone said they implied we 'tarnish/spoil' their place of prayer - they haven't actually said that to anyone aloud, but it seems a bit 'odd' and childish in all honesty. But I'm waiting for one of them to say something and BAM! I'll ave the fuckers up before Management and the Union on 'Religious Intolerance and any other thing I can conjure up.

It really annoys the fuckk out of me, No one has stopped them or suggested they stop, but they expect everyone else to change their routine/s to fit in around their prayer times.

I have No Problem with others practising their beliefs, faith etc as long as it does Not impinge on others freedom etc....but these 3 fuckers were acting like their prayer-time is more important than others.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Gunnersaurus wrote:

I'm more outraged that Arsenal feel the need to have a prayer room at the Emirates than this.
We need all the help we can get with Wenger in charge.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

As a few of our brethren have stated, newspapers or red tops as such do come out with observations that could be seen as having a dig at one of our football clubs...
This is so far from the truth, the message is that on one hand he embraced our way of life and on the other hand he decided to embrace extremism bordering on sheer madness and cruelty which contradicts the Koran, period...
In other words there seems to be a common denominator of SPLIT PERSONALITY syndrome, where at times they enjoy the fruits of Western culture, then change into mad mullahs with their Eastern style of dress as portrayed in that C4 documentary....
One thing I am glad about is that all three were shot dead, we cannot afford these vermin to breathe our same air...

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

The Sun where always going to jump on this. They didn't really say much more than he was wearing an Arsenal shirt. What they did do is give ISIS another opportunity to divide opinion as we have seen on this thread

Muslims like the rest of us like football too, for sure there are extremists that support all of the other major football teams.

Not sure why people have a problem with a prayer room at the Emirates, its not even relevant to the terrorist debate. People should be allowed to practice their religion and if it means that Arsenal is seen as an inclusive club that looks after players regardless of their religion that's hardly a bad thing, especially when it comes to attracting new players.

And to the person who suggested the players go to mosques down the Holloway Road (not that I am aware of any). LOL that's really practical, and if anything it's dangerous for younger players - given we know about radicalisation in Finsbury Park in the past.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

NickF wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:34 pm
Gunnersaurus wrote:

I'm more outraged that Arsenal feel the need to have a prayer room at the Emirates than this.
We need all the help we can get with Wenger in charge.
:D :lol:

Herd

Post by Herd »

I didnt see the headline , i try and avoid murdoch media wherever possible but its hard when they show so much football on their screens and I still like the simpsons . banning them wont work so its pointless !

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Im a believer in freedom of speech. Banning something because you dont agree with it is pathetic and even scouse like.

Dont buy it, its quite simple hurt them in the pocket