Rules changes proposed by IFAB

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Rules changes proposed by IFAB

Post by GoonerMuzz »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

Link above lists some of the proposal put forward by IFAB to:

improving player behaviour and increasing respect
increasing playing time
increasing fairness and attractiveness

These include reducing halfs to 30 mins and not allowing follow up on penalties, to name but a few.

Now i'm a natural born cynic but as a lot of these seem to point towards reducing match time i have a feeling part of this comes from the TV companies wanting to schedule shorter time slots for matches to allow them more programs which have advertising breaks :roll:

It also begs the question if match times are reduced can we expect a reduction in ticket prices etc to reflect less time being 'entertained' :rubchin:
Last edited by GoonerMuzz on Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

northbank123

Re: Rules changes proposed by IFAB

Post by northbank123 »

Rule of thumb for me is any fundamental change which can't easily be reproduced at every level of the game is wrong.

Time wasting can be frustrating but worth ripping up the rules for?

No. Just pathetic people and committees justifying their existence.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Surprised Wenger has never declared us the 30 minute a half champions of the universe what with all the virtual bullshit championships he's claimed to have won.

Missed a trick there.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

northbank123 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:33 pm
Rule of thumb for me is any fundamental change which can't easily be reproduced at every level of the game is wrong.

Time wasting can be frustrating but worth ripping up the rules for?

No. Just pathetic people and committees justifying their existence.
The thing about football pre goal-line technology was that whether it was the World Cup final or 22 useless c*nts on Hackney marshes on a sunday,the rules were identical,and that was great,but now,as we all know its shit,football has disappeared up it own arse,not that I care anymore,this is surely just another nail in its coffin,but since the authorities started tampering for TV its got worse,

I just wonder where it will end.

NickF

Post by NickF »

The point of the 30 minute half is that the clock would be stopped at every break in play (throw ins, fouls, substitutions), so in theory you would get 30 minutes actual playing time.

Can't really see it happening or even working properly.

Swiss Tony Adams

Post by Swiss Tony Adams »

NickF wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:54 am
The point of the 30 minute half is that the clock would be stopped at every break in play (throw ins, fouls, substitutions), so in theory you would get 30 minutes actual playing time.

Can't really see it happening or even working properly.
It would be like basketball, which works perfectly well...when you look at how long the "actual game " lasts.
What it would do is make it a lot more boring, and new time-wasting ideas would very quickly come into play.

Basketball should only be 4 quarters @ 12 minutes, so 48 mins. in all.
I have had the misfortune of being invited to a basketball game and after 2 hours I had had enough.
I believe the "score" at that point was still 60-60, with everything to play for and at least an hour to go!

Committees earning thousands justifying their pathetic existence on this Planet by doing fuck-all worthwhile, while ignoring the problems they really have with their families/relationships in general.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Also looking at changing premier league games to Sunday 11:30 kick off to suit the far east market

Remember when i started going in 1970s it was totally unfashionable, and was deemed you must be a hooligan to attend :box:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:24 pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

Link above lists some of the proposal put forward by IFAB to:

improving player behaviour and increasing respect
increasing playing time
increasing fairness and attractiveness

These include reducing halfs to 30 mins and not allowing follow up on penalties, to name but a few.

Now i'm a natural born cynic but as a lot of these seem to point towards reducing match time i have a feeling part of this comes from the TV companies wanting to schedule shorter time slots for matches to allow them more programs which have advertising breaks :roll:

It also begs the question if match times are reduced can we expect a reduction in ticket prices etc to reflect less time being 'entertained' :rubchin:

I have not heard of these proposals, but they are fucking stupid and I would suggest fabricated by the bored BBC...
From my refereeing point of view, I will go through so many fucking watches as the stop start button will be worn out...

The only trial I have seen, is the format of the taking of penalty kicks at the end of extra time which may prove to be a success!
But I am not stopping my watch for some dickhead to boot the ball out of Hackney Marshes!... :redcard:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

IFAB has allowed modern football over the last decades to become a version of basketball, soon it will be a non contact sport. :banghead: :cussing: As the game has become less physical so the sly cheatting & simulation by players has taken it's place.

A friend of mine sent me this link, Celtic Rangers final 1969, proper old school football, the first thing I noticed is the shoulder barges, long gone from football, especially overseas matches but still allowed in modern Hurling & Shinty games. :box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ai7kp_8cg

These islands produced many great field sports. they were proper games with players battling for the ball, Rugby, Football, Hurling / Shinty & even Bandy, another English game given to the world which the English have stopped playing since after WW1, but is still popular overseas in Europe.

BTW Sheff Wed & Forest were founded by Bandy & Shinty players.

I think I prefer old school football from the late '60's until the late '80's! :rubchin:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Straight from Zurich!
Law changes not fucking fantasy football rule changes!.... :box:

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/ ... n_v1.0.pdf

fatbloater78

Post by fatbloater78 »

Surely if we keep the 45 minutes a half but stop the clock w when teams are time wasting during dead balls i.e. Throwing corners free kicks ect that would stop the opposition straight away? Yes the game would maybe carry on longer to start with but I'm sure it would rapidly stop time wasting as the only way to get the clock moving is to stat playing asap

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Whats the betting all games will be played abroad within 10/15 years

Then you can truly say the game has been taken away from its original support

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Maybe modern football should take the rugby/superleague approach to injuries and blatant cheating,have the game continue while so-and-so rolls around on the floor and the medical team "treat" them while the game continues around them,so run on run off medical teams,then players could go down as much as they want and it wouldnt kill the game ,and punish players who kick the ball out for said player to get treatment,then the TV and governing bodies would get their quotas,how many times have you seen a player go down and a stupid prick from the opposition kick it out when there's clearly fuck all seriously wrong...

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

stupid prick from the opposition kick it out when there's clearly fuck all seriously wrong...

Usually he's one of ours too.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

robbo10 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:26 am
Maybe modern football should take the rugby/superleague approach to injuries and blatant cheating,have the game continue while so-and-so rolls around on the floor and the medical team "treat" them while the game continues around them,so run on run off medical teams,then players could go down as much as they want and it wouldnt kill the game ,and punish players who kick the ball out for said player to get treatment,then the TV and governing bodies would get their quotas,how many times have you seen a player go down and a stupid prick from the opposition kick it out when there's clearly fuck all seriously wrong...
Wouldn't be workable mate. The problem is football is very different to any form of towel flicking be it Union or League. Towel flicking is primarily played in one direction, forward, until posession is overturned from one group of closet homosexuals to the other group of closet jobs. So the "play" can bypass where the injured person and the physio are without them getting in the way. Football is played in multiple directions as we all know, forward, backward, sideways, and is a lot quicker so the physio would be in the way.

Not having a pop at you Robbo but I hate when people try to say we could learn this or that from towel flicking. There is literally NOTHING we could learn from that shit tbh. :lol: :wink:

The answer to diving and feigning injury is retrospective punishment. Serious retrospective punishment. My oft aired :wink: solution would work to stop this shit. First dive (based on video evidence and fuck what's in the referee's report) would be a retrospective 3 match ban. 5 match ban for second dive, 10 match ban for third dive. Also, an increasing scaled fine; One month's wages for first dive, 3 month's wages for second dive, 6 month's wages for 3rd dive.

Additional; make convicted divers wear a pink jersey with the word "CHEAT" on the back of it for their first 3 games back from suspension.

Note, I do not mention "4th dive". That's because if we introduced my system there would be no 4th dive. 8)