Sky TV fixture changes/weekend evening matches etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Ziegler1988

Re: Sky TV fixture changes

Post by Ziegler1988 »

Our match with the mousers is being lined up for Xmas Eve

Darren‏ @DarrenArsenal1 2h2 hours ago
Sky requested Arsenal v liverpool move to Sunday 4pm Xmas eve but police at moment have refused - in discussions

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Sadly this is almost certain to happen as SKY are contracted to show 2 games on a Sunday.

Biggest negative for me would be no Boxing Day game.

Be quite happy to watch on TV but would not consider going to the ground.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Playing a game at 4pm on Christmas Eve is ludicrous and disrespectful to fans...So no doubt Sky will do it..

Clash

Post by Clash »

Bradywasking wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:49 am
Playing a game at 4pm on Christmas Eve is ludicrous and disrespectful to fans...So no doubt Sky will do it..
I was thinking exactly the same.

Sky seem to revel in pissing all over the traditions of football but instead of acknowledging this they portray themselves as some sort of pioneers.

Playing on Christmas Eve is totally unnecessary and hugely inconvenient ... but it will be another ''first'' for Sky and thats all that matters :roll:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Clash wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:26 am
Bradywasking wrote:

Sky seem to revel in pissing all over the traditions of football but instead of acknowledging this they portray themselves as some sort of pioneers.

Playing on Christmas Eve is totally unnecessary and hugely inconvenient ... but it will be another ''first'' for Sky and thats all that matters :roll:
not actually a first - Leeds United played Manchester United on Christmas Eve 1995.
traditionally of course matches were played on Christmas Day :wink:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

what should happen of course...is that as SKY have 3 picks that weekend they show one match on the Friday night, one at 12.30pm on Saturday and then another on Saturday night at 8pm. BT show their match at 5.30pm.

the bigger problem rather than SKY is the football schedulers for bunching so many games together in December because of the stupid International breaks which get longer and longer every season....

in the past you had international football midweek and so the weekend league fixtures were unaffected.
that of course would be too sensible a solution....

Clash

Post by Clash »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:44 am
Clash wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:26 am
Bradywasking wrote:

not actually a first - Leeds United played Manchester United on Christmas Eve 1995.
traditionally of course matches were played on Christmas Day :wink:
Oh yeah I'd forgotten that :) :D

NickF

Post by NickF »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:44 pm
Sadly this is almost certain to happen as SKY are contracted to show 2 games on a Sunday.

Biggest negative for me would be no Boxing Day game.

Be quite happy to watch on TV but would not consider going to the ground.
I know it is traditional to have a boxing day games but for anyone who lives outside London it is a real pain as there is no public transport running.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Peak shopping time for blokes 4pm on Christmas Eve. Don't sky know anything?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:22 am
Peak shopping time for blokes 4pm on Christmas Eve. Don't sky know anything?
I think you'll find SlySports is bollock full of arsehole PC-obsessed hipsters that probably do their "Holiday" shopping well in advance... :roll:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

If the game goes ahead on the 24th, then make a big but simple protest against sky.

Make some banners with "Fuck Sky" on them

Get together with the scousers and at the 24th minute, for example, start singing "Fuck you Sky" back and forth. Let Sky explain the 'bad language you may have heard'.

:cussing: :cussing:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

12.30pm Christmas Eve (almost) confirmed

arsenalmorris

Post by arsenalmorris »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:42 pm
12.30pm Christmas Eve (almost) confirmed
One spare, clock end upper :lol: :lol: :banghead:

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

I may be wrong and feel free to correct me but I think we can choose not to watch or go to this match if its on Christmas eve, imagine a half empty stadium covered in snow with TOF frozen to the bench in his lagging jacket.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Can't actually be arsed with Christmas myself. Back in the days when I gave a fuck about football, before I had family who do, for some strange reason, actually give a fuck about Christmas and expect me to do the same, watching The Arsenal on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day would have been fucking brilliant.

Bah humbug