Jermaine Defoe - Huge respect

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Jermaine Defoe - Huge respect

Post by nut flush gooner »

When I look at our team, I despair at the disconnect between the likes of Ozil/Sanchez and the fans. That is reflected in the ongoing transfer saga with Sanchez, who holds all the trump cards yet clearly doesn't give a hoot about Arsenal fans in general. He's not showed much affinity with us since he joined tbh.

Defoe has left Sunderland but still takes the time out to go and see terminally ill kid Bradley Lowery, makes you think there are still footballers out there with a human side.

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2171/ ... an-bradley

I always respected Defoe as a footballer, good pro always put a shift in - but this just shows what a top man he is.

Redarmy

Re: Jermaine Defoe - Huge respect

Post by Redarmy »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:54 pm
When I look at our team, I despair at the disconnect between the likes of Ozil/Sanchez and the fans. That is reflected in the ongoing transfer saga with Sanchez, who holds all the trump cards yet clearly doesn't give a hoot about Arsenal fans in general. He's not showed much affinity with us since he joined tbh.

Defoe has left Sunderland but still takes the time out to go and see terminally ill kid Bradley Lowery, makes you think there are still footballers out there with a human side.

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2171/ ... an-bradley

I always respected Defoe as a footballer, good pro always put a shift in - but this just shows what a top man he is.
Agreed thats a really touching story, that boy Bradley is facing up to it so bravely...

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Defoe has had quite a bit of drama with the murder of his brother, but he still kept his shit together!
His mother is a big influence and Harry Rednapp joked that she is a tough cookie to negotiate with she always won..
Seriously though with all this good he has done for the lad in terms of support and love, karma will be 10 fold...
Still reckon we ought to have bought him, although Wenger is such a pussy his mum would have slapped him about!....

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:50 am
Defoe has had quite a bit of drama with the murder of his brother, but he still kept his shit together!
His mother is a big influence and Harry Rednapp joked that she is a tough cookie to negotiate with she always won..
Seriously though with all this good he has done for the lad in terms of support and love, karma will be 10 fold...
Still reckon we ought to have bought him, although Wenger is such a pussy his mum would have slapped him about!....
Much respect to Defoe just shows that not all footballers are Mercenary cnuts who just want themselves in the media for self serving reason :barscarf:

On the highlighted bit above from AGB, i see no problem with this :wink:

gp543

Post by gp543 »

It's really a very heartwarming story, much respect to him.

On a different note, I wouldn't say Ozil doesn't have respect for the fans. Don't forget the way he tore into Sanchez for not going over to the away fans at Chelsea. He's just a very subdued person, not a bad one.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Well done Defoe. Bless that little boy its heartbreaking what he has had to go through....

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Why can't all footballers give more than a fleeting visit to a children's hospice near Christmas time...
This is where image rights and all that bullshit that goes with it really pisses me off! :cussing:

Rant over!...
Happy Tuesday everyone!.... :D

Herd

Post by Herd »

My brother in law works at the Whittington Hospital,the only Hospital in Islington .
In the Adams era they players all went without publicity cept maybe the Gazette every year a Xmas and spend the afternoon there.
They also used to bring bottles of booze for the nurses and pay for Toys too and sat and played with the ill children for hours .
They woukld also do UCH and Royal Free which are very close too .
Now they walk in take a photo and leave with a barrage of PR people ,last year or so I dont think they even went save for 1 or 2 of them !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

That poor kid - it is gut wrenching to see one so young so ill and about to lose his brave fight... heartbreaking. :(

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Herd wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:24 am
My brother in law works at the Whittington Hospital,the only Hospital in Islington .
In the Adams era they players all went without publicity cept maybe the Gazette every year a Xmas and spend the afternoon there.
They also used to bring bottles of booze for the nurses and pay for Toys too and sat and played with the ill children for hours .
Now they walk in take a photo and leave with a barrage of PR people ,last year or so I dont think they even went save for 1 or 2 of them !

Same theme on Twitter Ryan Giggs pictured cooking and serving meals for the homeless in Manchester..All the usual fawning comments followed but the best one was by a Gooner who said " coincidentally there was a homeless photographer there also"

Herd

Post by Herd »

You see it all the time ronaldo giving his shirt away to a handicapped person flanked by a million cameras ,others do it quietly .
Alan Shearer has a sensory centre which he pays for,I only know about it because my kid is autistic and there are precious few sensory places in London .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:53 am
Herd wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:24 am

Same theme on Twitter Ryan Giggs pictured cooking and serving meals for the homeless in Manchester..All the usual fawning comments followed but the best one was by a Gooner who said " coincidentally there was a homeless photographer there also"
I'm a cynical cúnt at the best of times :D but I always think "that's a PR stunt" when I see celebs or footballers being photographed doing some charity work or similar... why get it photographed? Why not just do it quietly with no publicity? :roll:

One exception - if it is a seriously underfunded or not well known illness that needs a bit of publicity, then fine get the photos done... but most do not fall into that category.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:36 am
That poor kid - it is gut wrenching to see one so young so ill and about to lose his brave fight... heartbreaking. :(
This 1,000% - Both my kids are now grown and flown the nest, but when I see/read of truly awful situations like this, I always phone them and let them know how very much they are loved and cherished. :oops:

There by the grace of The Gods and Goddess huh. :cry:

NickF

Post by NickF »

To be honest, it is a no win situation for the footballers. If they help publicise a cause then it is only for the PR, if they donate quietly then it is perceived they aren't doing anything for charity. People will moan either way.

Given a choice I would prefer the PR as it highlights the cause....

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »