The PRE-SEASON FRIENDLIES Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
greengooner

Re: The PRE-SEASON FRIENDLIES Thread

Post by greengooner »

So let's see if I understand this correctly, we beat three teams in friendlies but it doesn't matter cause they were shit so that means we are shit and then we got violated in another friendly thus confirming that we truly are shit!, :D
It's like the season never ended

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

phpBB [video]

Same old Arsenal. :oops:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:23 pm
Wenger Out! :twisted:

Too early ? :lol:

It is NEVER too early to want that cuntslop GONE. :box:

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Let's take the positives...Celina's legs :barscarf:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

silus wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:43 pm
Maitland- miles is a worry for me, seems to be rated by Wenger and on the edges of the squad but has looked out of his depth everytime I've seen him play.
And I think I'm going to lose patience with xhaka very quickly, gave him the benefit last year as it was his first season...but I'm struggling to see what he brings to the party.

I thought that when I've seen him before. Along with other of our 'young players coming through' (Reine-Adelaide etc) he seems to think he can meander through the game, dwell on the ball and expend little effort, oblivious to the pace of the game or the opposition players tackling back.

It smacks of complacency when surely any young player given a first team opportunity should be busting a gut to impress (does anyone remember Kolo Toure's first appearence when he appeared to think his was playing in every position at once?).

RobG

Post by RobG »

It smacks of complacency when surely any young player given a first team opportunity should be busting a gut to impress (does anyone remember Kolo Toure's first appearence when he appeared to think his was playing in every position at once?).

Another one of the many myths around Wenger than needs busting wide open, is the one that proclaims him a genius in terms of bringing through young players.

His record in this last twenty years is abject and probably the worst in the Clubs history.

I take the point that it was a different world but compared to Bertie Mee, his record is hopeless. We have produced three players in 20 years. Cole, Wilshere and Iwobi.

Cole failed on attitude. Wilshere was a bit unlucky with injuries and the jury is still out on Iwobi. All the others were nicked off Barca and Southampton.

But try telling this to anyone and they look at you like you're insane.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

RobG wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:02 pm

Another one of the many myths around Wenger than needs busting wide open, is the one that proclaims him a genius in terms of bringing through young players.

His record in this last twenty years is abject and probably the worst in the Clubs history.

I take the point that it was a different world but compared to Bertie Mee, his record is hopeless. We have produced three players in 20 years. Cole, Wilshere and Iwobi.

Cole failed on attitude. Wilshere was a bit unlucky with injuries and the jury is still out on Iwobi. All the others were nicked off Barca and Southampton.

But try telling this to anyone and they look at you like you're insane.
Gibbs ? £10 million of youth development
Szcszcszcezney ? Another £10m but I take your point - remember the ridiculous quote that we don't buy superstars we make them ?
How absurd does that sound now - the likes of Dan Crowley, Chris Willock choosing pro contracts elsewhere.

Midz

Post by Midz »

We were frail against Bayern who dominated much of that game. Bayern fielded a much weakened side too so there's not much to be gained from that one. Against Chelsea yesterday even though both teams fielded weaker teams we were awful.
It's ok using younger players who are supposed to be up and coming but it doesn't look like our youth is anywhere near the required status.
As for Wenger bringing through great young players I just can't truly think of any in the last decade so these rumours about how good he is are rubbish!

Midz

Post by Midz »

General

Post by General »

My biggest issue with this team is the midfield. We have the lousiest most passive collection of central midfielders in the top 6 and it's scary that not a single one of them can tackle properly. Why is the fraud not concentrating on this longstanding issue which has consistently undermined us season after season? Without a proper engine room that can stabilise the team and give them the platform to play you get pulled apart with ease. You can't use attacking players and fullbacks to compensate for a soft underbelly. Let's abandon the shape, you attack we attack is the mantra. This squad is imbalanced beyond comprehension and the fraud is exacerbating it further by getting his transfer priorities wrong. Youngsters like Maitland Niles and Jeff are exposed because they come into a team that is already unstable and lacks a clear playing identity. Wenger's ideologies are killing this club and the next 2years is going to be painful.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Midz wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:46 am
This is a very good write-up...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... to-address
Nacho Monreal was at fault in showing Willian onto his right foot for the opening goal.

Where have I seen that before.....Oh yes...

Nacho Monreal was at fault in showing Robben onto his left foot for Bayerns opening goal

Wengers boys are always learning.... :?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

General wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:03 am
My biggest issue with this team is the midfield. We have the lousiest most passive collection of central midfielders in the top 6 and it's scary that not a single one of them can tackle properly. Why is the fraud not concentrating on this longstanding issue which has consistently undermined us season after season? Without a proper engine room that can stabilise the team and give them the platform to play you get pulled apart with ease. You can't use attacking players and fullbacks to compensate for a soft underbelly. Let's abandon the shape, you attack we attack is the mantra. This squad is imbalanced beyond comprehension and the fraud is exacerbating it further by getting his transfer priorities wrong. Youngsters like Maitland Niles and Jeff are exposed because they come into a team that is already unstable and lacks a clear playing identity. Wenger's ideologies are killing this club and the next 2years is going to be painful.
Yeah we can all see it and some have posted on it previously, but the be all and end all Mr Arsenal/Mr 30 years has not got a clue

I blame the 4th official myself

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:07 am
Midz wrote:

Nacho Monreal was at fault in showing Willian onto his right foot for the opening goal.

Nacho Monreal was at fault in showing Robben onto his left foot for Bayerns opening goal

I thought it was Coquelin who showed Robben onto his left foot?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

g88ner wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:23 pm
xisstential wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:07 am
Midz wrote:

I thought it was Coquelin who showed Robben onto his left foot?
correct

beck

Post by beck »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:19 pm
Last time we beat Bayern in a preseason friendly was 1988. That's a good oman
Went to both days of that makita tournament at Wembley
We beat Spurs 4-0 the day before that 3-0 win v bayern