LEICESTER CITY HOME GAME THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
General

Re: LEICESTER CITY HOME GAME THREAD

Post by General »

Some fans believe that this game was a one off and once we have our first choice defensive line up back everything will be ok. Is there a more delusional fanbase in world football. We haven't been defensively watertight under this despicable fraud for over a decade. We've seen personnel come and go yet the pattern of defensive mistakes remains the same. How many times have we conceded goals straight after scoring or conceded straight after half time? We are guaranteed another embarrassing hammering this season.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

General wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:34 pm
Some fans believe that this game was a one off and once we have our first choice defensive line up back everything will be ok. Is there a more delusional fanbase in world football. We haven't been defensively watertight under this despicable fraud for over a decade. We've seen personnel come and go yet the pattern of defensive mistakes remains the same. How many times have we conceded goals straight after scoring or conceded straight after half time? We are guaranteed another embarrassing hammering this season.
To a degree they are probably right, against the shite and bottom feeders we probably will once Kos etc are back but against the big guns we'll be massacred defending like we do...... how i long for the days of a strong defense even if we weren't necessarily always so good going forward at least you'd have faith the other team were going to have a hard time getting one in our net :rubchin:

General

Post by General »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:21 am
General wrote:
To a degree they are probably right, against the shite and bottom feeders we probably will once Kos etc are back but against the big guns we'll be massacred defending like we do...... how i long for the days of a strong defense even if we weren't necessarily always so good going forward at least you'd have faith the other team were going to have a hard time getting one in our net :rubchin:
I don't disagree we struggle against the big sides but we shipped 3goals in each game against Palace, Brom and Bournemouth last season, lost 2-1 to Watford at home and needed 3 goals to beat Swansea. Our ability to dominate the ball against the lesser sides makes us less exposed but defensively we are no more watertight than we are against the top sides. Le fraud sets his team up with an attacking intent regardless of opposition and even when he takes the conservative approach it doesn't take long for them to revert to the familiar and well rehearsed. I don't recall the last time we had an assured defensive performance, not a gritty one, where you couldn't see the opponent scoring.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

One of the few (only?) decent points Carragher made on Friday night was that all of our goals were good goals and the Leicester defence could not really be held accountable for them, but that the 3 goals we conceded were all down to shocking defending by our defence.

Same as the last 10 or so seasons then... :roll:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:25 am
One of the few (only?) decent points Carragher made on Friday night was that all of our goals were good goals and the Leicester defence could not really be held accountable for them, but that the 3 goals we conceded were all down to shocking defending by our defence.

Same as the last 10 or so seasons then... :roll:
You'd think with an 'accountant' for manager we'd be far more efficient in terms of what we do on the field, we dominate posession like 70/30, have 3 times as many shots (or more) but often end up losing, drawing or winning by the skin of our teeth.

How often do we see 25 pass moves from us result in a blocked shot or losing possesion only for the opposition to break away and with 2 or 3 passes go through on our goal?.

Wenger's Arsenal are the model of inefficiency, in fact you could say the same to a lesser degree about our wage bill!, with so many players who contribute little or nothing sitting around eating away at our "limited resources". :roll:

beck

Post by beck »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:21 pm
Where the fuck are Chambers and Mustafi? I knew the other cowardly fuck wouldn't play with his few stitches.

Anyone remember Tony Adams banging in headers with a plaster over his busted up head?

FUCKING COWARDS
I remember a poor clearance from Adams landing up with that worldy dean windass scoring off edu's heel
Then silvinho turning a cross into his own net
Then later in the second half Adams statuesque as he was squared past for a third
Us0 boro 3
Adams was an absolute legend at the club but the rose tints of legends never having a bad day is ridiculous
Of coarse it's frustrating to watch us year on year refuse to learn from defensive mistakes

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

beck wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:47 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:21 pm
Where the fuck are Chambers and Mustafi? I knew the other cowardly fuck wouldn't play with his few stitches.

Anyone remember Tony Adams banging in headers with a plaster over his busted up head?

FUCKING COWARDS
I remember a poor clearance from Adams landing up with that worldy dean windass scoring off edu's heel
Then silvinho turning a cross into his own net
Then later in the second half Adams statuesque as he was squared past for a third
Us0 boro 3
Adams was an absolute legend at the club but the rose tints of legends never having a bad day is ridiculous
Of coarse it's frustrating to watch us year on year refuse to learn from defensive mistakes
He had bad days of course, was it West Ham when he was hungover and came off at half time.....but yes heart of a lion, courage can never be questioned.....

beck

Post by beck »

General wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:50 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:21 am
General wrote:
I don't disagree we struggle against the big sides but we shipped 3goals in each game against Palace, Brom and Bournemouth last season, lost 2-1 to Watford at home and needed 3 goals to beat Swansea. Our ability to dominate the ball against the lesser sides makes us less exposed but defensively we are no more watertight than we are against the top sides. Le fraud sets his team up with an attacking intent regardless of opposition and even when he takes the conservative approach it doesn't take long for them to revert to the familiar and well rehearsed. I don't recall the last time we had an assured defensive performance, not a gritty one, where you couldn't see the opponent scoring.
I would say the 2-0 win home to Dortmund but that was 3 years ago
Martinez and mertesacker were both good

LaughingGooner

Post by LaughingGooner »

A brilliant night, excellent result, good attacking and dreadful defending.
Would like to see other top teams play without their 4 first choice centre backs.
Lots to build on.
We're playing stoke at a good time this w/e. Another comfortable win but we need to improve before the bigger games to come.

jmp442

Post by jmp442 »

Does anyone know whats going on with Chambers and why he's considered surplus to requirements? Not 100% convinced by him but seems a bit early to give up on a player who is young and english and we paid a lot of money for.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I would give him another chance ahead of Monreal in a back 3 !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:48 am
I'd give my dead grandmother a run ahead of Nacho in that back 3 tbf. :shock:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:28 am
Herd wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:48 am
I'd give my dead grandmother a run ahead of Nacho in that back 3 tbf. :shock:
:D

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... tagnating/

Nice to see ex-players not always brown-nosing Wenger, probably why he's not working at Arsene (PLC) but yes men like Bould and Primorac have a job for life.

:censored:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:16 pm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... tagnating/

Nice to see ex-players not always brown-nosing Wenger, probably why he's not working at Arsene (PLC) but yes men like Bould and Primorac have a job for life.

:censored:
Yep, but note how he stops short of blaming the manager as usual. :|