It's back, other games this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: It's back, other games this weekend

Post by northbank123 »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:00 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:49 am
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:42 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:05 am
A new phrase introduced into the English football vocabulary by the BBC commentator on MOTD. last night.."Pretending to lose your footing"...as in Alli's dive, also known as cheating if you are not wearing the white of Tottenham and England..
Why do you have to bring England in to it every fucking time :roll:
Because high profile English players (and based on Bale Welsh players too) get a horrendously easy ride for cheating. Bale, Rooney, Gerrard and Alli all regularly dived, the first and the last especially.

Whereas players like Pirès, Ronaldo and Suarez were all branded cheats and carried stigma for it for the rest of their careers.

The FA won’t ban Kane just like they didn’t have the bottle to ban Shearer when he was their best striker. And just like they appealed Rooney’s ban which covered the first few games of the last World Cup even though they would have slapped a club player with an extra ban for a frivolous appeal for doing the same.
Well forgive me for thinking wilshere is English and an international because he was called a diver by sky and bbc pundits one a few games ago when they said he should have received a second yellow.

This is some kind of myth that is nonsense, take for instance deli Ali, how many times has he been booked for diving? 7 probably so the English refs don't go easy on him then.

I thought that Wilshere got an easy ride really - everybody had forgotten about it by the next day. It was a shit and obvious dive and he should have been hammered for it but got away with what should have been a sending off at a key moment in a big game. Certainly hasn't been permanently branded as a diver unlike the likes of Pires and Eduardo.

The Dele Alli example works both ways - he is consistently one of the biggest cheats the PL has ever seen in terms of diving, yet I've never heard any pundits say "what a talent but it's such a shame he feels the need to cheat" or anything along those lines. It's not about refs (I'm not suggesting that these players get given penalties which foreign players wouldn't), it's about media rhetoric.

For what it's worth (and as I've said above), based on the ignorance of Bale's constant diving and the good public image which the footballing media still peddle of Giggs then the good grace extends to Welshmen too!

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

northbank123 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 pm
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:00 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:49 am
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:42 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:05 am
A new phrase introduced into the English football vocabulary by the BBC commentator on MOTD. last night.."Pretending to lose your footing"...as in Alli's dive, also known as cheating if you are not wearing the white of Tottenham and England..
Why do you have to bring England in to it every fucking time :roll:
Because high profile English players (and based on Bale Welsh players too) get a horrendously easy ride for cheating. Bale, Rooney, Gerrard and Alli all regularly dived, the first and the last especially.

Whereas players like Pirès, Ronaldo and Suarez were all branded cheats and carried stigma for it for the rest of their careers.

The FA won’t ban Kane just like they didn’t have the bottle to ban Shearer when he was their best striker. And just like they appealed Rooney’s ban which covered the first few games of the last World Cup even though they would have slapped a club player with an extra ban for a frivolous appeal for doing the same.
Well forgive me for thinking wilshere is English and an international because he was called a diver by sky and bbc pundits one a few games ago when they said he should have received a second yellow.

This is some kind of myth that is nonsense, take for instance deli Ali, how many times has he been booked for diving? 7 probably so the English refs don't go easy on him then.

I thought that Wilshere got an easy ride really - everybody had forgotten about it by the next day. It was a shit and obvious dive and he should have been hammered for it but got away with what should have been a sending off at a key moment in a big game. Certainly hasn't been permanently branded as a diver unlike the likes of Pires and Eduardo.

The Dele Alli example works both ways - he is consistently one of the biggest cheats the PL has ever seen in terms of diving, yet I've never heard any pundits say "what a talent but it's such a shame he feels the need to cheat" or anything along those lines. It's not about refs (I'm not suggesting that these players get given penalties which foreign players wouldn't), it's about media rhetoric.

For what it's worth (and as I've said above), based on the ignorance of Bale's constant diving and the good public image which the footballing media still peddle of Giggs then the good grace extends to Welshmen too!
The obvious reason wilshere has not been branded a diver is because he isn't so I can't see the point there tbh.

I did post a comment about bale after I saw your post because I was answering bwk and I quoted the excuses commentators made for him.

I Have though heard pundits slate Ali for diving of which yes he is one of the worst I've seen for it in the pl BUT the reason I can't watch Spanish football is because Ali would be the norm in their game, same as Italian football and every B Munich team I've seen too.

Whatever anyone thinks or says on here diving was definitely brought over by foreign players, the South Americans were doing it back in the 50's and if youve ever had the misfortune to watch the african cup of nations then you you will see olympic standard diving.

But yes we now have our own divers too.

Brw watford just got a pen and chavs down to 10 nen 8)

And it was a dive and a foreigner and the commentators have given him the benefit of the doubt :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

No doubt the Russki will fire Conte should this game end like this and the AKB luvvies and journos such as Cross and Barclay will declare how football's gone mad. The Chavs will carry on regardless, appoint a new messiah who will probably win more pots before ending in similar fashion 2-3 years down the line.

Still who wants 'short term' success for 13 years eh? :D

Much better to stick with the same sad old duffer for that entire period and never compete for a title......but at least we can say how loyal we are to our managers and do things 'the right way', so that's ok then

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:04 pm
No doubt the Russki will fire Conte should this game end like this and the AKB luvvies and journos such as Cross and Barclay will declare how football's gone mad. The Chavs will carry on regardless, appoint a new messiah who will probably win more pots before ending in similar fashion 2-3 years down the line.

Much better to stick with the same sad old duffer for that entire period and never compete for a title......but at least we can say how loyal we are to our managers and do things 'the right way', so that's ok then
Yep, Anceotti or Max Allegri to the Chavs. Success follows. We get stuck with this stupid *word censored* for another year. Haven't we seen all this before with Guardiola and the rest. Fuck me, it's depressing.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Yep, Anceotti or Max Allegri to the Chavs. Success follows. We get stuck with this stupid *word censored* for another year. Haven't we seen all this before with Guardiola and the rest. Fuck me, it's depressing.
Carefree wherever you may be - we are the Kings of Stability :roll: the same record droning on and on and on.

Perryashburtongroves

StuartL wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:42 pm
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Carefree wherever you may be - we are the Kings of Stability :roll: the same record droning on and on and on.
Champions of net spend, you know what we are.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Think this has hastened the end of Conte. Frightening how badly things have gone south there recently.

LeftfootlegendGooner

You can see from cuntes' face that he is resigned to getting the old heave no, so different from seeing him run up and down the line like a lunatic.

Strange because he's normally barking out orders for 90 minutes but he was just stationary for the most part, probably realised the players have given up.

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

That will be Conte off then :lol:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:59 pm
You can see from cuntes' face that he is resigned to getting the old heave no, so different from seeing him run up and down the line like a lunatic.

Strange because he's normally barking out orders for 90 minutes but he was just stationary for the most part, probably realised the players have given up.
He should try sitting down for 90mins fiddling with a zip - he’s get a job for life somewhere

LeftfootlegendGooner

StuartL wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 pm
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:59 pm

He should try sitting down for 90mins fiddling with a zip - he’s get a job for life somewhere
Well tbf Wenger does get up to have a go at the 4th official so give him some credit.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Are sky sports going to display subtitles now they have carragher and Rooney as pundits at the same time :| :lol:

Perryashburtongroves

Chavs losing to Bournemouth and then Watford makes me wonder whether they have found their real level again.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Watching the game last night you have to wonder if conte is being forced to play luiz and bakayoko because they are garbage.

NickF

Post by NickF »

I know it is academic as Wenger will still be here in a hundred years time like one of those heads-in-a-jar from futurama, but would we have Conte as a manager?