Goal of the premier league era vote

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
beck

Re: Goal of the premier league era vote

Post by beck »

brucers wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:26 pm
I think Bergkamp's goal against Leicester was better......surprised it's not made the cut (for whatever reason).
They did show bergkamp' s hat trick at Leicester on one of the build up shows to Friday's game
The thing is
It still rankles that we didn't win the game
The saving grace is we did the double that year anyway but it shows the mentality of a football fan
As great as it was when Sunderland beat Leeds to win the fa cup
Whenever they show clips I am transported back to the 9 year old me trying to throw my cushion on the pitch at hillsborough in the semi(do you remember when they used to sell you one to put on your seat?)

M3Gooner

Post by M3Gooner »

Pires vs Villa should also been considered I thought

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

3 goals in final 5...DB10 clear winner. Most influential player in 25 years of Premier League.

brucers

Post by brucers »

I know what you mean....a goal like that should get the rewards it deserves....3 points!

beck wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:11 pm
brucers wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:26 pm
I think Bergkamp's goal against Leicester was better......surprised it's not made the cut (for whatever reason).
They did show bergkamp' s hat trick at Leicester on one of the build up shows to Friday's game
The thing is
It still rankles that we didn't win the game
The saving grace is we did the double that year anyway but it shows the mentality of a football fan
As great as it was when Sunderland beat Leeds to win the fa cup
Whenever they show clips I am transported back to the 9 year old me trying to throw my cushion on the pitch at hillsborough in the semi(do you remember when they used to sell you one to put on your seat?)

brucers

Post by brucers »

....and quite rightly too.....Bergkamp's goal has been voted best.....although I still say it's 2nd to his Leicester goal!

jmp442

Post by jmp442 »

Not much between the Leicester goal and Newcastle one but think the Newcastle goal wins purely on the "what the fuck has he done there?' factor.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

jmp442 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:37 am
Not much between the Leicester goal and Newcastle one but think the Newcastle goal wins purely on the "what the fuck has he done there?' factor.
Exactly. Never saw anyone try that before or since. Back to goal push the ball with huge spin to your right, circle round the defender to your left to meet the ball as it spins right back into your path, strength to hold off the defender, drop the shoulder and slot it.... genius and technique on a different level. 8)

Wrighty had done the Leicester-style ball juggling goal against Everton so while DB's juggler against Leicester was brilliant, it didn't have that one-off moment of pure genius aspect that the Toon goal had.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

beck wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:18 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:39 am
beck wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:45 am
Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:18 pm
Rooney's goal was amazing - even more so given that it was the winner in a derby match BUT that goal by Dennis B was a once in a lifetime goal.

I've watched it hundreds of times but I still cannot fathom out exactly what he did. And more to the point - how were his brain and body able to work so quickly???

Truly an incredible goal.
Van persie's goal at charlton in 06/07 was better than that
Better than Bergkamp's??!! Are you fucking insane? :shock:
No! Better than rooneys
Adrian Durham ambulance chasing tub thumper believes bergkamps goal was an accident. What a melt
Apologies, misread your post. :D :wink:

We also have a big-nosed Monty Python Miroslav Klose-looking melt on here that thinks Bergkamp's Toon goal might have been a fluke, don't we Flash, huh? :banghead: :box: :censored:

:D :wink: :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 am
jmp442 wrote:
Exactly. Never saw anyone try that before or since. Back to goal push the ball with huge spin to your right, circle round the defender to your left to meet the ball as it spins right back into your path, strength to hold off the defender, drop the shoulder and slot it.... genius and technique on a different level. 8)

Wrighty had done the Leicester-style ball juggling goal against Everton so while DB's juggler against Leicester was brilliant, it didn't have that one-off moment of pure genius aspect that the Toon goal had. I
Exactly, no one tried it before, or since, a one off spur of the moment bit of genius. Not even Dennis tried it again.
He scored a similar juggler in the world cup a year later so it wasn't unique.

wibble

Post by wibble »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:37 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
jmp442 wrote:

Wrighty had done the Leicester-style ball juggling goal against Everton so while DB's juggler against Leicester was brilliant, it didn't have that one-off moment of pure genius aspect that the Toon goal had. I
Exactly, no one tried it before, or since, a one off spur of the moment bit of genius. Not even Dennis tried it again.
That's because he didn't mean it :wink:

brucers

Post by brucers »

Whilst I agree there is not much between them I think I prefer the Leics one for 2 reasons.....he juggled the ball from out of mid air. Secondly, I saw this as it happened whereas the Newcastle one I had heard about it and saw it knowing it was coming.
A more general thing about both goals, is the way he side foots them in (perhaps surprising the keepers) rather than blasting as many players would have.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wibble wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:05 pm
Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
jmp442 wrote:

That's because he didn't mean it :wink:
:pancho: :box:

:D :wink:

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
jmp442 wrote:

Shame on Dennis for scoring the same magnificent goal twice :barscarf: :barscarf:

Newcastle/Leicester/Argentina all have one thing in common - Dennis's genius. Which one is the best - it depends on which one I've seen last. But a 90 minute winner in the QF of a World Cup is pretty special.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

No comment

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
jmp442 wrote:

Wrighty had done the Leicester-style ball juggling goal against Everton so while DB's juggler against Leicester was brilliant, it didn't have that one-off moment of pure genius aspect that the Toon goal had.
dennis was, is and will always be a legend, he did things on the pitch others would not be able to conceive of let alone complete, i'll never forget the crowd in highbury going quiet when he got the ball in the 98 double season, you had zero idea what he was going to do with it but he just made you pay attention, we will never see his like again in red and white, he really played the game with his brain as well as his feet, unreal footballer.