GABRIEL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
HARLOW GOONER

GABRIEL

Post by HARLOW GOONER »

So long Gabriel. Don't forget your toothbrush!

TeeCee

Re: GABRIEL

Post by TeeCee »

Yeah, we need the space in the dressing room!!

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Another Wenger success story

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:23 am
Indeed, bought for £15m, hardly played, not good enough and sold for £10m -Arsene knows :barscarf: :roll:

Midz

Post by Midz »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:04 pm
Eboue-Why? wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:23 am
Indeed, bought for £15m, hardly played, not good enough and sold for £10m -Arsene knows :barscarf: :roll:
You have to look at it from a business point of view. Wenger only lost £5m on a player we had all season and played at least 4 games so for him (AW) that's not bad. :barscarf:

Midz

Post by Midz »

Wonder if we can rid ourselves of anyone else before deadline day?

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Of the million reasons to criticise Wenger, his incompetence when it comes to any aspect of the defensive side of the game, is just embarrassing. When is the last time he has bought a proper CB, who can actually defend? Even Koscielny makes crazy mistakes.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Midz wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:08 pm
Wonder if we can rid ourselves of anyone else before deadline day?
That's where most of our activity, if any, will take place. We've got some right old deadwood to get rid of. And c :censored: s like walcott. :barscarf:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

BFG4 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:22 pm
Of the million reasons to criticise Wenger, his incompetence when it comes to any aspect of the defensive side of the game, is just embarrassing. When is the last time he has bought a proper CB, who can actually defend? Even Koscielny makes crazy mistakes.
He got Campbell for free,and I doubt if he was for sale Wenger would have paid money for him,Toure was ok,but only ok in the context of the utter fucking dross that Wenger has bought as "centre backs",his record of buying successful centre backs must be woeful,even Vermailen looked half sensible when he came and under Arsene's and Arsenal's fantastic coaching he went backwards very quickly,what I've seen from young Holding is promising but I have no doubt Wenger will destroy him and his confidence pretty soon,

Gabriel was shit,and is shit,whether the bloke can speak fucking English or not,not being able to speak a language shouldnt make you a fucking coward or a liability on the pitch.

Sean

Post by Sean »

It always surprises me when we sell a player on so 'soon'. Like Gervinho. Normally under TOF, the player takes his wages until his contract expires.

It's a shame our infamous lack of coaching never got anything out of Gabriel. There may have been a player in there, but it would never happen here. His language issues didn't help.

Another defensive success for TOF :roll:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Initially, I thought he reminded me of a Keown type defender, until he played against Costa and Caroll, then he turned out to be worst than Stepanovs. To make it worse he wasn't even a ball playing Brazilian CB, as a redeming feature. Pleased he's gone, I'd rather have Chambers at CB to call upon than Gabriel. Good luck to him.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:27 pm
Initially, I thought he reminded me of a Keown type defender, until he played against Costa and Caroll, then he turned out to be worst than Stepanovs. To make it worse he wasn't even a ball playing Brazilian CB, as a redeming feature. Pleased he's gone, I'd rather have Chambers at CB to call upon than Gabriel. Good luck to him.
Bit harsh.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Under even a half-decent manager he would probably have been a good player. Under the worst manager in Europe, he was only going to stagnate.

jmp442

Post by jmp442 »

Had a few good games (FA cup semi prob best) but another player just not good enough.

Another example of great scouting by us. Gabriel and Virgil Van Dijk both 26, both signed for Arsenal and Southampton in 2015 (Gab in Jan, VVD in summer) and Gabriel cost 11.3m and VVD cost 13m.

Gabriel just gone to Valencia for 10m and Southampton will most likely receive a world record fee for a defender when they sell VVD.

worthing_gooner

Post by worthing_gooner »

jmp442 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:54 am
Had a few good games (FA cup semi prob best) but another player just not good enough.

Another example of great scouting by us. Gabriel and Virgil Van Dijk both 26, both signed for Arsenal and Southampton in 2015 (Gab in Jan, VVD in summer) and Gabriel cost 11.3m and VVD cost 13m.

Gabriel just gone to Valencia for 10m and Southampton will most likely receive a world record fee for a defender when they sell VVD.
Prob says more about our coaching and tactical set up than the players themselves to be honest. Didn't rate Gabriel much, but he had the attributes needed to be a decent PL defender and he did have a couple of decent games so it was in there.