Our diabolical midfield

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
worthing_gooner

Re: Our diabolical midfield

Post by worthing_gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:56 pm
worthing_gooner wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:41 pm
Talking of midfield, a little bit disappointed to see all the criticism of Ozil in the media and among some of our fans, yet again :roll: It's almost like we're trying to punish ourselves by forcing out our next best player after Sanchez.

"played like a deserter, hiding in plain sight"... in actuality he created four chances, two of which were absolutely gilt edged. But for 50 pence head Welbeck and a useless blazing strike from Bellerin he would've had at least one assist.

Frankly if he creates four goalscoring opportunities in every game, I couldn't give a flying fuck if he gets a deck chair out in the centre circle. The problem isn't Ozil, and if people don't wake up to that indisputable fact then he'll be off as well. Then not only will we be shite at the back still, we'll also be even more tepid going forward as well.
Wasting your time, mate. But you are 100% right. 8) Never mind that Ozil can open up a defence with a slide rule pass, never mind that he creates chances every game, never mind that he missed equalling Henry's assist record by 1 (even though he was still creating chances that our shit strikers didn't convert into assists) never mind all that - there are punters on here that will tell you he "doesn't run around enough". :lol: :lol:

We need Robbie Savage! :barscarf: :lol:

Now that I have gotten that facetiousness out of me... :D :wink: I think the problem with Ozil is that Wenger will never get the best from him or capitalise on what he proivides because Wenger has not got a clue how to build a team around a technically superb player with true vision. Ozil was the European assist record holder whilst at Madrid. I wonder why? The Madrid players were pissed off when the club sold him. You put a top top striker in front of Ozil, play him as a 10, add two top DM's and you win the PL. End of. 8)

Okay, also add a few decent defenders! :lol: :wink:

And a manager that isn't shit. :barscarf:
Exactly that! "He doesn't look interested"... seriously?! :D The problem is the dross he's surrounded with, not Ozil.

Just Imagine him in a midfield with a Vieira or a Makelele or a Kante or a Gilberto - someone who does the leg work, gets in the challenge before it reaches our back four, breaks up the play, and releases to the more creative midfielders like Ozil.

Imagine that he then had a striker like Henry ahead of him finishing off the numerous chances he creates every game.

"Yeah but he doesn't run around enough"... fuck off :roll:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

worthing_gooner wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:03 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
worthing_gooner wrote:
Talking of midfield, a little bit disappointed to see all the criticism of Ozil in the media and among some of our fans, yet again :roll: It's almost like we're trying to punish ourselves by forcing out our next best player after Sanchez.

"played like a deserter, hiding in plain sight"... in actuality he created four chances, two of which were absolutely gilt edged. But for 50 pence head Welbeck and a useless blazing strike from Bellerin he would've had at least one assist.

Frankly if he creates four goalscoring opportunities in every game, I couldn't give a flying fuck if he gets a deck chair out in the centre circle. The problem isn't Ozil, and if people don't wake up to that indisputable fact then he'll be off as well. Then not only will we be shite at the back still, we'll also be even more tepid going forward as well.
Wasting your time, mate. But you are 100% right. 8) Never mind that Ozil can open up a defence with a slide rule pass, never mind that he creates chances every game, never mind that he missed equalling Henry's assist record by 1 (even though he was still creating chances that our shit strikers didn't convert into assists) never mind all that - there are punters on here that will tell you he "doesn't run around enough". :lol: :lol:

Now that I have gotten that facetiousness out of me... :D :wink: I think the problem with Ozil is that Wenger will never get the best from him or capitalise on what he proivides because Wenger has not got a clue how to build a team around a technically superb player with true vision. Ozil was the European assist record holder whilst at Madrid. I wonder why? The Madrid players were pissed off when the club sold him. You put a top top striker in front of Ozil, play him as a 10, add two top DM's and you win the PL. End of. 8)

Exactly that! "He doesn't look interested"... seriously?! :D The problem is the dross he's surrounded with, not Ozil.

Just Imagine him in a midfield with a Vieira or a Makelele or a Kante or a Gilberto - someone who does the leg work, gets in the challenge before it reaches our back four, breaks up the play, and releases to the more creative midfielders like Ozil.

Imagine that he then had a striker like Henry ahead of him finishing off the numerous chances he creates every game.

He is no doubt a top quality player, but under Wenger shows his lazy side....allowed to drift into this complacency by never being challenged or to have someone bring the best out of him....some games he does look sadly disinterested

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Redarmy wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:09 pm
worthing_gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
worthing_gooner wrote:

He is no doubt a top quality player, but under Wenger shows his lazy side....allowed to drift into this complacency by never being challenged or to have someone bring the best out of him....some games he does look sadly disinterested
It's a fair point, mate. But I think that perceived "disinterest" is frustration at the shit around him. Sanchez has hissy fits, Ozil just gives up and drifts out of the game. Ozil from his time at Madrid is used to providing a tight pass into feet, getting it back and pushing it into space for an intelligent team mate to run onto or hit goalwards. Simple yet very intelligent football. Now he has Ramsey with the flicks and tricks, the Ox with his brainless runs that lose posession 99% of the time, and the likes of Elneny, Xhaka, Walcott and Welbeck that simply cannot think on the level that Ozil and Sanchez think on. Thus we see Ozil and Sanchez often ignoring their team mates and passing it between themselves.

worthing_gooner

Redarmy wrote:
worthing_gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
worthing_gooner wrote:

Completely agree with the point you're making, but I just think that again the problem isn't Ozil and this is just a very short sighted act of scapegoating which some of our own fans have jumped on board with. Ozil was creating chance after chance after chance last season, he's the top chances creator already this season and yet continually sees the likes of Welbeck and Giroud shooting at the keeper or over the bar or blazing wide. If Ozil isn't showing masses of enthusiasm, we simply cannot just sit here and say "oh he's not good enough, terrible attitude, sell him".

Address the cause, not the symptom!

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
worthing_gooner wrote:

Whenever I see David Silva shining for City I think what Ozil could be...and more. Ozil actually said how Mourinho used to give him absolute hell if he wasn't happy with him. Ozil is in a comfort zone now playing under the wrong manager and surrounded by the wrong players. Can you imagine him with a Wright, Henry or RvP in front of him?? Silva had Jesus & Aguero in front of him last season and the likes of Toure & de Bruyne alongside him. Ozil had Giroud & Walpott ahead of him & Ramsey & Coquelin alongside him.

Da Silva would also flounder at Arsenal

General

Post by General »

worthing_gooner wrote:

I'm not his biggest fan but I don't get the criticisms after the game either. Without question he's had some stinkers but Stoke wasn't one of them. A lot of it was instigated by Keown and Gerrard in the media and hook line sinker some fans bought into it. From afar it's easy to confuse him with Xhaka because they are both left footed until you realise this player is more agile and intelligent with the ball. Thanks to the 2 bumbling idiots in midfield all the creativity fell to him. Wonder why he gets no such criticisms playing for Germany where he's easily one of their best players.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

General wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:43 pm
worthing_gooner wrote:

I'm not his biggest fan but I don't get the criticisms after the game either. Without question he's had some stinkers but Stoke wasn't one of them. A lot of it was instigated by Keown and Gerrard in the media and hook line sinker some fans bought into it. From afar it's easy to confuse him with Xhaka because they are both left footed until you realise this player is more agile and intelligent with the ball. Thanks to the 2 bumbling idiots in midfield all the creativity fell to him. Wonder why he gets no such criticisms playing for Germany where he's easily one of their best players.
In fairness, the German fans are quite split on him, but I think some of that might be down to an ulterior motive in there somewhere.... :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:31 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
worthing_gooner wrote:

Whenever I see David Silva shining for City I think what Ozil could be...and more. Ozil actually said how Mourinho used to give him absolute hell if he wasn't happy with him. Ozil is in a comfort zone now playing under the wrong manager and surrounded by the wrong players. Can you imagine him with a Wright, Henry or RvP in front of him?? Silva had Jesus & Aguero in front of him last season and the likes of Toure & de Bruyne alongside him. Ozil had Giroud & Walpott ahead of him & Ramsey & Coquelin alongside him.

Silva is a good comparison. Another "creator" that isn't asked to peg around the gaff busting in tackles everywhere, but is allowed to do what he is good at; create. I've long compared Ozil to Bergkamp (no I don't think he is at THAT level :wink: ) but in the way that the press and some of our fans were giving Bergkamp shit and questioning his quality in that first season or two when he played with utter gash like Selley, McGolderick, Hartson and Hillier. Bergkamp just looked for Wrighty in the end as only Wrighty was near his level. And then when Vieira, Overmars and Petit (and later Henry and Pires) were added Bergkamp had players that could think and operate on his level and we saw the real Bergkamp.

You put Ozil in a team of top players and he will orchestrate a PL title for you.

NickF

Post by NickF »

General wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:43 pm
worthing_gooner wrote:

My problem with Ozil is that when he loses the ball he make zero effort to win it back, he just stands there. No one is asking him to put in loads of tackles but at least attempt to put yourself between the player and the goal. Especially against better sides where we might not much of the ball.

Agree with the comments that we should have built a team around Ozil and Sanchez instead of putting vastly inferior players around them.

Rush

Post by Rush »

I thought Neny was a CB :shock: say it aint so :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rush wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:40 pm
I thought Neny was a CB :shock: say it aint so :lol:
:lol:

Anyone can be a CB in Wengerworld. Anyone. Literally anyone. :dancingbanana: :fryingpan:

:D :wink:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Ozil would be best played in a free roaming role with a rock solid CDM and good box to box who can tackle, i want Ozil just inside our half ready to receive the ball and move things forward when we break up their play or roaming around the edge of their whole box looking to create chances for other players when we have the ball, i don't want him running up and down the pitch chasing players like a headless chicken because he is not able to and he'd be knackered all the time.

Ozil is a luxury player which most acknowledge but played correctly with the right players covering his obvious deficiencies it wouldn''t matter, unfortunately the midfield that has been put together is just nowhere near the quality required to allow Ozil to do his thing, as said above it's really not Ozil who's at fault but the players who've been put around him just not being good enough to cover him.

Part of the problem is also Sanchez, he is a dynamo, never stops running always causes problems for the opposition therefore looks to be more involved. People seem to miss the fact that Sanchez makes a lot of mistakes and very often gives the ball away by trying too much, usually trying to make up for others not being good enough it has to be said but i think Sanchez gets a lot more credit in this team than he'd get at other times due to the dross he has to play with.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:14 pm
Redarmy wrote:
worthing_gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
worthing_gooner wrote:

It's a fair point, mate. But I think that perceived "disinterest" is frustration at the shit around him. Sanchez has hissy fits, Ozil just gives up and drifts out of the game. Ozil from his time at Madrid is used to providing a tight pass into feet, getting it back and pushing it into space for an intelligent team mate to run onto or hit goalwards. Simple yet very intelligent football. Now he has Ramsey with the flicks and tricks, the Ox with his brainless runs that lose posession 99% of the time, and the likes of Elneny, Xhaka, Walcott and Welbeck that simply cannot think on the level that Ozil and Sanchez think on. Thus we see Ozil and Sanchez often ignoring their team mates and passing it between themselves.
Agreed its born out of frustration, and will probably lead to either Ozil or Sanchez or both leaving ....these 2 players could be in a Barcelona, PSG or Madrid team.....not sure about Xaha, Coquelin and Elney though :rubchin:

GTG

Post by GTG »

xisstential wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
worthing_gooner wrote:

Thing is im not so sure David Silva would flounder at Arsenal certainly not now we've got the movement that Lacazette can bring. When you watch Silva compared to Ozil the key thing is the desire to get on the ball. He goes looking for it all over the park and puts himself in pockets where he can do damage when he gets it. Ozil can do so much more but just isn't interested.

I certainly don't want to see him running around trying to be a Rooney type but what I do want to see is maximum effort in his own style of play, that is get on the ball as often as possible, move intelligently and produce telling passes or get himself into the box. Any player that loses possession should also try to win it back to a point. He just doesn't bother and doesn't provide those things on a consistent enough basis.

Stoke wasn't anywhere close to being his worst game for us though. As said by others hes on easy street

worthing_gooner

GTG wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:01 pm
xisstential wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
worthing_gooner wrote:

Thing is im not so sure David Silva would flounder at Arsenal certainly not now we've got the movement that Lacazette can bring. When you watch Silva compared to Ozil the key thing is the desire to get on the ball. He goes looking for it all over the park and puts himself in pockets where he can do damage when he gets it. Ozil can do so much more but just isn't interested.

I certainly don't want to see him running around trying to be a Rooney type but what I do want to see is maximum effort in his own style of play, that is get on the ball as often as possible, move intelligently and produce telling passes or get himself into the box. Any player that loses possession should also try to win it back to a point. He just doesn't bother and doesn't provide those things on a consistent enough basis.

Stoke wasn't anywhere close to being his worst game for us though. As said by others hes on easy street
That comment in bold is the nail on the head mate - sorry to single you out because this is a common view, but that's exactly the point - he's created more chances than anyone else in the PL in the opening two games, created four chances at the weekend, but for shite finishing he'd have got two assists. If people could put the ball in the net he'd be making critical contributions week in week out. I just don't buy this "not interested" argument. He could run around like Coquelin doing jack shit or bustle like Sanchez and give the ball away a hundred times, but people like Gerrard and Keown would be praising his willingness to run, even though he's contributing nothing.