CROWDFUNDING - WENGER GONE, NOW REMOVE KROENKE

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: CROWDFUNDING - REMOVE WENGER & KROENKE

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:50 pm
General wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:37 pm
I laugh when fans suddenly get this urge to protest and all that crap after we lose a game. What exactly is the objective? To vent anger or somehow get the immovable object to get sacked? Or perhaps to get Kroenke to list his shares on Amazon and sell up? We had our chance to protest properly last season, the objective was clear, but most decided to do nothing. They deserve everything they're getting now.
It was exactly the same last year, lose at Palace 3-0 and they're calling for Wenger's head. The next week a poor 2-1 win away at Boro and there is nothing. This is supposedly our most passionate supporters and they are quite happy to flip-flop.

I read on The Gooner report of Watford they were calling for Wenger's head again but guaranteed a win on Thursday and that will be forgotten. Until our support realise it is not just about the last result we will never move on.

Even if you believe that Kroenke is the bigger evil, fine, but at least have the courage to protest every week, not just when results are bad.

I would be quite happy to protest outside the AGM but unless a decent number commit, there is no point.
Lads, this is nothing new really. Historically football fans have always been fickle as fuck - even the so called old school genuine supporters "back in the day". There is a funny scene in the movie "ID" that was written in specifically to show this; the crowd are giving the player Jimmy Edwards dogs abuse and then he scores. The chanting instantly changes from "Fuck off Edwards, fuck off Edwards" etc etc to "There's only one Jimmy Edwards, one Jimmy Edwards". :lol:

I think we also just need to accept that we are still the minority in wanting Wenger removed, at least at the moment with an FA Cup trophy under our belt and the season so early in. That will swing based on results as we all know. How much of a swing? TBH I've said this before, the Cult of Wenger is so strong I think we could finish 8th and win nothing and we'd still be in the minority - it would be a big minority sure, but still a minority. Even relegation would only illicit cries of "Who else could get us back up to the PL?" and "He's earned the right to fix things" etc etc... :|

General

Post by General »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 am
NickF wrote:
General wrote:
I laugh when fans suddenly get this urge to protest and all that crap after we lose a game. What exactly is the objective? To vent anger or somehow get the immovable object to get sacked? Or perhaps to get Kroenke to list his shares on Amazon and sell up? We had our chance to protest properly last season, the objective was clear, but most decided to do nothing. They deserve everything they're getting now.
It was exactly the same last year, lose at Palace 3-0 and they're calling for Wenger's head. The next week a poor 2-1 win away at Boro and there is nothing. This is supposedly our most passionate supporters and they are quite happy to flip-flop.

I read on The Gooner report of Watford they were calling for Wenger's head again but guaranteed a win on Thursday and that will be forgotten. Until our support realise it is not just about the last result we will never move on.

Even if you believe that Kroenke is the bigger evil, fine, but at least have the courage to protest every week, not just when results are bad.

I would be quite happy to protest outside the AGM but unless a decent number commit, there is no point.
Lads, this is nothing new really. Historically football fans have always been fickle as fuck - even the so called old school genuine supporters "back in the day". There is a funny scene in the movie "ID" that was written in specifically to show this; the crowd are giving the player Jimmy Edwards dogs abuse and then he scores. The chanting instantly changes from "Fuck off Edwards, fuck off Edwards" etc etc to "There's only one Jimmy Edwards, one Jimmy Edwards". :lol:

I think we also just need to accept that we are still the minority in wanting Wenger removed, at least at the moment with an FA Cup trophy under our belt and the season so early in. That will swing based on results as we all know. How much of a swing? TBH I've said this before, the Cult of Wenger is so strong I think we could finish 8th and win nothing and we'd still be in the minority - it would be a big minority sure, but still a minority. Even relegation would only illicit cries of "Who else could get us back up to the PL?" and "He's earned the right to fix things" etc etc... :|
We are a minority amongst a minority and that's the problem. Wanting Wonga out is one thing, doing something about it is another.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

General wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:46 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 am
NickF wrote:
General wrote:

We are a minority amongst a minority and that's the problem. Wanting Wonga out is one thing, doing something about it is another.
True. But I also think we need to accept that the WOB are seriously split on how best to achieve this. Some believe protesting is the way forward and blame poor attendance at protests for the lack of success of same. It's a bit too easy to say people are lazy because they won't turn up to protests - we have to accept not everyone thinks the protest is a good idea. Some believe that protest march's will not work because the owner is so disconnected from the fans and only cares about money, and so those WOB believe only a full financial bycott would force the owners hand.

NickF

Post by NickF »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:22 pm
True. But I also think we need to accept that the WOB are seriously split on how best to achieve this. Some believe protesting is the way forward and blame poor attendance at protests for the lack of success of same. It's a bit too easy to say people are lazy because they won't turn up to protests - we have to accept not everyone thinks the protest is a good idea. Some believe that protest march's will not work because the owner is so disconnected from the fans and only cares about money, and so those WOB believe only a full financial bycott would force the owners hand.
But you have to be realistic, that is never going to happen.

From personal experience I believe there is a large element of lazy. I lost count of the number of times during the marches people watching you walk pass would say "well done, he has to go" but do nothing themselves. Ditto with banners in the stadium.

What is the answer? Who knows, but I do know Kroenke is in London soon for the AGM (and probably the LA Rams game) so it would be a great time to let him know how we feel.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:48 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:22 pm
But you have to be realistic, that is never going to happen.

From personal experience I believe there is a large element of lazy. I lost count of the number of times during the marches people watching you walk pass would say "well done, he has to go" but do nothing themselves. Ditto with banners in the stadium.

What is the answer? Who knows, but I do know Kroenke is in London soon for the AGM (and probably the LA Rams game) so it would be a great time to let him know how we feel.
Whether it happens or is realistic or not is not the point, I'm just commenting on what people believe is the best thing to do. It is just as correct as saying protest march's are not a realistic option because of the owner not giving two shits about the fans. We are basically hostages to fortune, and the only one that will decide our future is Wenger. All we can do really is what our own consciences tell us. For me I won't give the club another penny if I can help it until Wenger is gone and probably until Kroenke is gone. It won't achieve anything, but it will make me feel... I dunno.... "better" maybe ain't the right word... maybe it will help me feel less powerless... :|

General

Post by General »

I respect the guy who bins his season ticket just as much as the next person who turns up for the protests. I agree there's split amongst WOBs on how best to convey the message. My issue is with the WOBs who simply do nothing and there are plenty of them. As Nick points out its utter laziness.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

General wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:12 pm
I respect the guy who bins his season ticket just as much as the next person who turns up for the protests. I agree there's split amongst WOBs on how best to convey the message. My issue is with the WOBs who simply do nothing and there are plenty of them. As Nick points out its utter laziness.
its down to Arsenal never being disastrously bad. look at Everton this season.
Wenger has never got Arsenal as bad as that.

at the AGM this week the FA Cup and Community Shield will be on the table.
there will be a nod to our 100% record in the Europa League, another nod to our (likely) QF appearance in the League Cup.
the 3 league losses will be glossed over as "accidents" just like the AKB do.

for Wenger and the board another "successful" season is developing.

General

Post by General »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:28 am
General wrote:

there will be a nod to our 100% record in the Europa League, another nod to our (likely) QF appearance in the League Cup.

Yup. Wonga has an endless supply of lifelines. I mentioned in the Everton thread whether those who wanted to protest at the AGM still have the enthusiasm.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:
General wrote:

A couple of mouser supporting colleagues always throw this shit at me; "What do Arsenal fans want? Wenger won you 3 FA Cups in 4 years. You are all like spoiled brats. You are not entitled to win the PL every season. Most other clubs would be thrilled to have had Wenger with his success for 20+ years."

Drives me fucking nuts. I counter with, "yes but those other teams were not moved from their traditional (and beautiful) home stadium to a big soulless bowl with increased ticket prices on a promise of 'competing with Europe's elite'. Those teams have not had to witness the same avoidable mistakes in the transfer market and on the pitch for the last decade, or listen to the half truths and outright lies about finances, or witness the terrible soul destroying tedium of Groundhog Season year after year after year...."

This is usually met with either blank stare or "yeah but he won you 3 PL and 7 FA Cups. Any other team would be blah blah blah...." :banghead: :roll:

NickF

Post by NickF »

General wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:05 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
General wrote:

Yup. Wonga has an endless supply of lifelines. I mentioned in the Everton thread whether those who wanted to protest at the AGM still have the enthusiasm.
I would (but then I'm not fickle) but what is the likelihood of getting any numbers, after yesterday - virtually zero.
The problem is that after the top 6, the dropoff is quite large so we are never really ever going to drop much lower.

For me, this seasons top 4 will be City, scum plus 2 out of Chelsea, Victims, United and us. Really down to who can win a few games.
However as last season proves, finishing outside the top 4 doesn't make the slightest difference to Wenger's job. :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 am
General wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
General wrote:

I would (but then I'm not fickle) but what is the likelihood of getting any numbers, after yesterday - virtually zero.
The problem is that after the top 6, the dropoff is quite large so we are never really ever going to drop much lower.

For me, this seasons top 4 will be City, scum plus 2 out of Chelsea, Victims, United and us. Really down to who can win a few games.
However as last season proves, finishing outside the top 4 doesn't make the slightest difference to Wenger's job. :banghead:
What's hilarious (in all the wrong ways) about that is that for the last decade, Wenger, the Board, the media and the AKB have all used that CL qualification/4th Place Virtual Trophy to justify why he should stay in the job. And then when he finally fails outright to deliver that.... well, hey ho suddenly it doesn't matter aymore and is no longer the qualifying criteria it used to be.... :roll: :censored:

#movethegoalposts

:banghead: :roll:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:00 pm
NickF wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 am
General wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
General wrote:

What's hilarious (in all the wrong ways) about that is that for the last decade, Wenger, the Board, the media and the AKB have all used that CL qualification/4th Place Virtual Trophy to justify why he should stay in the job. And then when he finally fails outright to deliver that.... well, hey ho suddenly it doesn't matter aymore and is no longer the qualifying criteria it used to be.... :roll: :censored:

#movethegoalposts

I can't see us in the CL anytime soon, so Europa will become our new CL, the goalposts will actually get replanted.

And what we are seeing is a false dawn, a skewed picture really.... The top clubs are clashing ...Liverpool have played everybody now, City have seen off the Chavs & 'pool, the scum play Mancs this weekend and have played chavs and 'pool already...so essentially they are taking points off each other. Meanwhile, besides getting hammered by 'pool & getting a point at the bridge, we are struggling with the middle and lower teams, dropping points we will never make up.

That is about to change, with City, scum, Mancs & in the fairly near future and I think by Christmas we will be a ways off 4th. After this weekend we have City, then fortunately for him, a break, the scum, then Burnley away and Huddersfield home with Europa fixtures in between for good measure, including a terrifying night for his petals in Cologne. Those 4 league games...?? I wouldn't be surprised if we come out of those with 4 points, maybe even less.I don't think we will get near the Manc clubs or the scum...or even chavs. Liverpool are a lottery..so I see us finishing 5th or 6th..but that will be accepted by his followers as he has kept us in Europe. Our new Europe (Remember we have brand new goalposts)

As an aside I have extended the DONATION page to the end of November...not because I think money is going to be pouring in but because I do not want it released yet as we are nowhere near the protest stage, especially after putting high flying Everton to the sword......

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:00 pm

#movethegoalposts

There is a simple explanation really - the new PL TV money means that CL football is less important financially than it was, Wenger timed it perfectly to fall out of the CL really, actually when we lose Sanchez and probably Ozil as well our wage bill will likely remain near static which may actually increase our margin despite our exit from Europe's premier club competition.

To get back in the CL the PLC might have to 'risk' spending over the odds, much better to just hope for the best on the field, while maintaining an upward trajectory in the market.

Arsene Stanley PLC - a name you can trust for your investment portfolio.

:barscarf:

Sean

Post by Sean »

it's disgusting how brazenly the goalposts were moved. The centrepiece of TOF's mythology, especially during the nine year drought, was the endless VT qualifications, despite never winning the fucker itself. Now with the obscene TV money coming into the game in the last few years, the VT suddenly means fuck-all. Coming 5th should have shown him up, shown that it was finally time to go, but the media glossed over it. Now the EL is the new normal and he won't even bother competing for that.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Sean wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:55 pm
it's disgusting how brazenly the goalposts were moved. The centrepiece of TOF's mythology, especially during the nine year drought, was the endless VT qualifications, despite never winning the fucker itself. Now with the obscene TV money coming into the game in the last few years, the VT suddenly means fuck-all. Coming 5th should have shown him up, shown that it was finally time to go, but the media glossed over it. Now the EL is the new normal and he won't even bother competing for that.
The other main argument in defence of Shit for Brains was that despite the trophy drought we always played lovely, attractive football. Can anyone honestly say that is the case now when you look at some of the other top sides in this country and overseas? From the dribs and drabs I've watched this season, the football has been utter dross. Boring, robotic, sideways passing going nowhere and a midfield that reminds me of the Hillier and Morrow days - paceless mongs like Xhaka, Elneny and Coquelin, with a sprinkling of Twirly, the modern day Stefan Schwarz i.e. made to look better than he is courtesy of the fact he's playing alongside total c.unts. Even in that 9 year drought we usually had some half decent midfielders capable of quick passing and good on the ball. We have 1 now - Wilshere - and he can't get ahead of that list of pricks mentioned above. Honestly, if you compare our football to the likes of the vermin and City, can anyone say its anywhere near as exciting?