Ex Arsenal players you used to love, but now hate

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Ex Arsenal players you used to love, but now hate

Post by DB10GOONER »

robbo10 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:25 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am
flash gunner wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:23 am
flash gunner wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:02 am
Tried to piss of a bunch of people that didnt care where he went (the board) by managing a team the supporters (apparently he was one of us) hate, nice one George. Used to love George before that but was absolutely gutted when he joined the scum

I will never forgive him for that. Ruined his rep
No one said he was perfect, Nostrilus Maximus. :D :wink:

He's just human. He lashed out like some of us do. I doubt he was trying to offend or piss off Gooners tbh, he probably never even considered that part of it. Having read GG's autobiography he comes across the way a lot of top managers do; focussed, obsessive, egotistical and with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Not perfect, but an Arsenal Legend to me. 8)
He was associated with the club for 30 years or more and didnt know managing the scum would piss people off? :shock:
I'm saying he probably didn't give too many fucks. As I say, at that level of manager/player there is a certain amount of ego/self-interest at play. He's not perfect.

Just like Wenger is n - ah, you know where that one is going! :lol: :wink:
I'm sure I read or heard him say himself,Charlie George was ready to join the scum,I wonder how the King of Islington would have been thought of after that........I think that was to spite the club too?
100% fact. He said it himself. And he was a boy from our terraces. :| Still an Arsenal Legend, mind. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:28 pm
I fécking always hated Sol Campbell, walked out on his boyhood club, just a mercenary from the Middlesex Pikey Swamp Dwellers who walked out on his Arsenal team mates at half time, took a few months off & then turns up ready for duty when a makeshift defence manages to get to a European Cup Final. :barscarf:

Then fúcks off for another lucrative mercenary contract with Dodgy Harry Twitchy boat at Portsmouth :cussing:

Then thinks he is a gifted thespian & goes off to Hollywood to become an actor, then returns to Arsenal as Wonga changes his principles about old has been players. :blah:

Then he tries to become a Tory bastard candidate for London Mayor :cussing:

Fúcking wanker! :box: Glad I always refused to sing his name! :barscarf:
Have you seen the show called (I think) "PL Legends" or "Legends of the PL"? The one on Campbell is ecrutiating to watch tbh. He genuinely thinks he was one of the worlds greatest footballers and also genuinely thinks he is now an erudite intellectual... :oops: :lol: He actually just comes across as a self-obsessed smug twat. :roll:

TBH I too could never really take to Sol. He was great for us in 02 and 04 and is still the only Gunner to score in the CL final but for me he is basically a mercenary bastard that sold out his club to join their arch enemy and, hilariously enjoyable as that was at the time, I never could fully trust or believe in such a cúnt. :censored:

Clash

Post by Clash »

I fécking always hated Sol Campbell, walked out on his boyhood club, just a mercenary from the Middlesex Pikey Swamp Dwellers who walked out on his Arsenal team mates at half time, took a few months off & then turns up ready for duty when a makeshift defence manages to get to a European Cup Final. :barscarf:

Then fúcks off for another lucrative mercenary contract with Dodgy Harry Twitchy boat at Portsmouth :cussing:

Then thinks he is a gifted thespian & goes off to Hollywood to become an actor, then returns to Arsenal as Wonga changes his principles about old has been players. :blah:

Top post!

That period you mention when Sol walked out - I think at the time was put down to his dad dying. The line was that he needed a break from being in the public eye. Fair enough, more important things than football etc. But then during this period of exile he shows up at the fucking BAFTAs. Taking the piss or what! :roll:

Then a few weeks later he apparently told Wenger he wanted to play abroad so Wenger let him go on a free ... only for Sol to end up at fucking Portsmouth. Taking the piss or what! :barscarf:

And in one of those PL Legends episodes DB10 mentions ... I'm sure Sol says when asked about what it was like playing with Thierry Henry ''you should ask Thierry what is was like playing with me'' ... or did I imagine that? I think he did say it. Taking the piss or what! :roll:

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

I almost had a bit of Road Rage with Sol Campbell. Think it was Spring 2002.

I was trying to pull out of a side road by the Tower of London. The first car gave me room but a Range Rover in the 2nd lane blocked me in, when it would have been easier to let me pull out.

I shouted something along the lines of "Oh you wanker" towards the Range Rover before realising that the driver was none other than our number 23. He sort of looked at me then sat staring straight ahead until the lights changed.

It was around 2pm on a weekday so I assume he had been to training and was heading into Central London to spend his ridiculous salary.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:02 am

I was trying to pull out of a side road by the Tower of London. The first car gave me room but a Range Rover in the 2nd lane blocked me in, when it would have been easier to let me pull out.

I shouted something along the lines of "Oh you wanker" towards the Range Rover before realising that the driver was none other than our number 23. He sort of looked at me then sat staring straight ahead until the lights changed.

It was around 2pm on a weekday so I assume he had been to training and was heading into Central London to spend his ridiculous salary.
You hard bastard. :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:34 am

Top post!

That period you mention when Sol walked out - I think at the time was put down to his dad dying. The line was that he needed a break from being in the public eye. Fair enough, more important things than football etc. But then during this period of exile he shows up at the fucking BAFTAs. Taking the piss or what! :roll:

Then a few weeks later he apparently told Wenger he wanted to play abroad so Wenger let him go on a free ... only for Sol to end up at fucking Portsmouth. Taking the piss or what! :barscarf:

And in one of those PL Legends episodes DB10 mentions ... I'm sure Sol says when asked about what it was like playing with Thierry Henry ''you should ask Thierry what is was like playing with me'' ... or did I imagine that? I think he did say it. Taking the piss or what! :roll:
Not sure what that programme was in but I do distinctly remember him saying something like that... :rubchin: :oops:

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:09 am

I was going to jump out and give him a damn good thrashing but decided pretty quickly that he'd probably knock me into next week. It was surreal though, sitting staring at him as he was trying to pretend I wasn't there.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:27 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:09 am

I was going to jump out and give him a damn good thrashing but decided pretty quickly that he'd probably knock me into next week. It was surreal though, sitting staring at him as he was trying to pretend I wasn't there.
:lol: :lol:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 pm
flash gunner wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:30 am
George Graham..... How could any true Gooner manage the scum? and to a trophy too.

Unforgivable
Terry Neil also managed Tottenham do you hate him too?
Loved GG loathed Terry Neil he's on odious cuntoid ,never forget him getting a stone on his head and running away from us at Winterslag one of the most chaotic beerfest wrecking crew away trips Ive ever ever been been on !

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Herd wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:59 am
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 pm
flash gunner wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:30 am
George Graham..... How could any true Gooner manage the scum? and to a trophy too.

Unforgivable
Terry Neil also managed Tottenham do you hate him too?
Loved GG loathed Terry Neil he's on odious cuntoid ,never forget him getting a stone on his head and running away from us at Winterslag one of the most chaotic beerfest wrecking crew away trips Ive ever ever been been on !
I remember as a kid being at a pre-season friendly at Dartford's old ground,Terry Neill was getting dogs abuse then,from the car park to the dug-out,he got fucking pelters all day,

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:56 am

Have you seen the show called (I think) "PL Legends" or "Legends of the PL"? The one on Campbell is ecrutiating to watch tbh. He genuinely thinks he was one of the worlds greatest footballers and also genuinely thinks he is now an erudite intellectual... :oops: :lol: He actually just comes across as a self-obsessed smug twat. :roll:

TBH I too could never really take to Sol. He was great for us in 02 and 04 and is still the only Gunner to score in the CL final but for me he is basically a mercenary bastard that sold out his club to join their arch enemy and, hilariously enjoyable as that was at the time, I never could fully trust or believe in such a cúnt. :censored:
Yeah but what a great wind up with the scum...absolutely loved it...

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Never liked Campbell not only for all the reasons mentioned but also because he was a bit shite
Here are a few examples! He was invariably a penalty waiting to happen!
His flinging elbow and subsequent red card against Utd cost us the title that season
The 2-4 defeat against Utd his ball straight to scholes? Set up their victory (this was during his believing he was a beckenbaur like sweeper)
His invitation to Rooney to dive over his leg ended the invincibles run
He was a brain dead footballer who relied solely on his speed and physique
His shiteness i believe contributed to ending what appeared to be a promising career for senderos

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Goonersid in "I hate England international" shocker :D

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

campbell is a man i would have severe trouble with if not for the fact he was and still remains a gooner. the bloke seems to be mentally deranged, his strange, fractious accounts of racism at roker park in an fa cup match in 1995 that have largely been proven to be incorrect, his sulk tantrum against wham, his certainty that his colour stopped him from becoming an england captain (he may have a point but the certainty to call the situation was a bit weird) plus his tory credentials paint him as a bit of a weirdo at best, wrong un at worst.

but he is a very interesting character, i do think his ego is so huge that he found a way to invent a way to excuse possible shortcomings in his own career, i mean he almost comes across as a bit of a psychopath. he took everything the scummers gave him in 2001 and didn't seem at all bothered by it, i wonder if he ever loved them, or loves us now. it seems his willingness to succeed drove him a bit mad really, who else would have made the move he did?

but to answer the thread, i can also say martin keown is a colossal *word censored*, shame he's so far up wenger's arse tbh. also a bit tired of hearing thierry on sky sports all the time, i love the man but i think he loves the sound of his own voice a bit too much, plus at the end of the day, he did do to us what other players have also done without coming under the same criticism, which sort of grates me because he calls himself an arsenal supporter, not so much a supporter in 2007.

paul merson strikes me as a strange bloke, keeps telling people he supports the rentboys but never made so much noise about it until last couple of years , maybe to curb some accusations of pro arsenal bias from rival fans. either way i wish he'd stop advertising the fact like its something to be proud of. ch*lsea scum :evil:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:05 pm
campbell is a man i would have severe trouble with if not for the fact he was and still remains a gooner. the bloke seems to be mentally deranged, his strange, fractious accounts of racism at roker park in an fa cup match in 1995 that have largely been proven to be incorrect, his sulk tantrum against wham, his certainty that his colour stopped him from becoming an england captain (he may have a point but the certainty to call the situation was a bit weird) plus his tory credentials paint him as a bit of a weirdo at best, wrong un at worst.

but he is a very interesting character, i do think his ego is so huge that he found a way to invent a way to excuse possible shortcomings in his own career, i mean he almost comes across as a bit of a psychopath. he took everything the scummers gave him in 2001 and didn't seem at all bothered by it, i wonder if he ever loved them, or loves us now. it seems his willingness to succeed drove him a bit mad really, who else would have made the move he did?

but to answer the thread, i can also say martin keown is a colossal *word censored*, shame he's so far up wenger's arse tbh. also a bit tired of hearing thierry on sky sports all the time, i love the man but i think he loves the sound of his own voice a bit too much, plus at the end of the day, he did do to us what other players have also done without coming under the same criticism, which sort of grates me because he calls himself an arsenal supporter, not so much a supporter in 2007.

paul merson strikes me as a strange bloke, keeps telling people he supports the rentboys but never made so much noise about it until last couple of years , maybe to curb some accusations of pro arsenal bias from rival fans. either way i wish he'd stop advertising the fact like its something to be proud of. ch*lsea scum :evil:

Can only really think of Figo and Mo Johnston who made moves that stirred up as much hatred from fans and he did remarkably well to deal with it.

However, he comes across as completely self absorbed and the way he flutters his eyes and closes them during interviews is quite un-nerving to me.