Ex Arsenal players you used to love, but now hate

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bob Bayliss

Re: Ex Arsenal players you used to love, but now hate

Post by Bob Bayliss »

You have to remember that Keown and Lee Dixon are both on the payroll as Legends Tour hosts. So it's unrealistic to expect them to use their media platform to say what they really think about the old fraud. Other ex-players, such as Thierry, Wrighty, Merse and Charlie Nick have no such worries and are generally more critical.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:29 am
You have to remember that Keown and Lee Dixon are both on the payroll as Legends Tour hosts. So it's unrealistic to expect them to use their media platform to say what they really think about the old fraud. Other ex-players, such as Thierry, Wrighty, Merse and Charlie Nick have no such worries and are generally more critical.
I agree with the bit in red. But of those named there, Henry Wrighty and Merse have all flip flopped at one time or another... :lol: :wink:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, why do Gooners expect ex-players to view Wenger the same way we do and to publicly cúnt him? Wenger (in their eyes) is the man that extended many of their careers, he led them to trophies and medals, he was a father figure and mentor to many of them etc, they (mostly) aren't Gooners just ex-employees, they still bump into him regularly at various golf, charity and social occasions and at games etc. Hating them because they won't publicly cúnt a man that benefited their careers (no matter how much some on here hate to admit that he did) is a bit silly tbh. :roll:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:13 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:
I agree with the bit in red. But of those named there, Henry Wrighty and Merse have all flip flopped at one time or another... :lol: :wink:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, why do Gooners expect ex-players to view Wenger the same way we do and to publicly cúnt him? Wenger (in their eyes) is the man that extended many of their careers, he led them to trophies and medals, he was a father figure and mentor to many of them etc, they (mostly) aren't Gooners just ex-employees, they still bump into him regularly at various golf, charity and social occasions and at games etc. Hating them because they won't publicly cúnt a man that benefited their careers (no matter how much some on here hate to admit that he did) is a bit silly tbh. :roll:
Of those I listed, I don't know why any of them other than obviously Thierry would have any cause to feel any sense of personal obligation to Wenger. Wrighty was a late starter and was still carrying the attack when Wenger arrived. As soon as he brought Anelka through Wrighty's days were numbered and he was summarily offloaded to West Ham at the end of the 98 double season in which he played only a cameo role after the early matches. Merson was never going to be someone Wenger had any time for or patience with, and he offloaded him to Middlesbrough at the earliest opportunity. He was hardly a father figure or mentor to either of those two, and some of the other ex-players on media duty such as Charlie Nick and Smudger were well before his time.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:13 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:

Of those I listed, I don't know why any of them other than obviously Thierry would have any cause to feel any sense of personal obligation to Wenger. Wrighty was a late starter and was still carrying the attack when Wenger arrived. As soon as he brought Anelka through Wrighty's days were numbered and he was summarily offloaded to West Ham at the end of the 98 double season in which he played only a cameo role after the early matches. Merson was never going to be someone Wenger had any time for or patience with, and he offloaded him to Middlesbrough at the earliest opportunity. He was hardly a father figure or mentor to either of those two, and some of the other ex-players on media duty such as Charlie Nick and Smudger were well before his time.
Obviously I wasn't refering to those three. I'm refering to players that actually played under him for a good chunk of their career (or had particular success under him). Keown, Bould, Anelka, Vieira, Petit, Dixon, Winterburn, Parlour, Bergkamp, Overmars - there's a huge list of ex players that in theory could publicly bad mouth him but don't and won't (apart from the odd carefully worded comment from Adams and Vieira and one or two others). My point is that's their right - whilst we might not like it, I think "hating" them for it is silly.

bobbybigb

Post by bobbybigb »

Had the greatest respect for David OLeary who had a fantastic career with us and always gave the impression that he was Arsenal through and through. I found his reaction and unbridled joy when manager at dirty Leeds when playing us stunk. Sure he wanted to beat us, that was his job but i felt he showed no respect for the Arsenal and us supporters . He went down in my estimation after that

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

bobbybigb wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:13 am
Had the greatest respect for David OLeary who had a fantastic career with us and always gave the impression that he was Arsenal through and through. I found his reaction and unbridled joy when manager at dirty Leeds when playing us stunk. Sure he wanted to beat us, that was his job but i felt he showed no respect for the Arsenal and us supporters . He went down in my estimation after that
Oh me too, man. That day he ran up the pitch celebrating like a mad man after he had beaten us and effectively handed the title to manure... I just stood there and went "you fucking arsehole..." He was a legend to me as an Oirish Gooner but he went down in my estimation that day too. :|

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:26 am
bobbybigb wrote:
Oh me too, man. That day he ran up the pitch celebrating like a mad man after he had beaten us and effectively handed the title to manure... I just stood there and went "you fucking arsehole..." He was a legend to me as an Oirish Gooner but he went down in my estimation that day too. :|
I am prepared to overlook that and remember the loyalty he showed us when Stapleton and Brady buggered off in the early 80s and he stayed with a team in decline rather than accept the sort of lucrative offer that he could have commanded from Europe's top teams. I also vividly recall the scenes after the 79 Cup Final, when the aforementioned two went up to collect their medals wearing ManUre shirts, and O'Leary again insisted on wearing the yellow shirt.

I'll forgive him a little dance up the touchline for all of that.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:44 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
bobbybigb wrote:
I am prepared to overlook that and remember the loyalty he showed us when Stapleton and Brady buggered off in the early 80s and he stayed with a team in decline rather than accept the sort of lucrative offer that he could have commanded from Europe's top teams. I also vividly recall the scenes after the 79 Cup Final, when the aforementioned two went up to collect their medals wearing ManUre shirts, and O'Leary again insisted on wearing the yellow shirt.

It was a lot more than a little dance up the touchline. I've never cared really either way about players "respecting" their former clubs by not celebrating goals against them. But there is a line. Barndoor crossed it at citeh. O'Leary crossed it at Dirty Leeds. I certainly don't hate O'Leary for it but I lost a lot of respect for him that day.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Respect for those Irish lads, Stapleton, Oleary and of course the magic Liam Brady

although never really liked Jennings he was spurs through and through, seemed a decent fella though

as for Adebayor he is a low life scum bag

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:44 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
bobbybigb wrote:

Never hated O'Leary for the way he reacted against us whilst manager at Leeds. It was his job, its all this respect shit about players scoring against ex-clubs and not celebrating, I find that more disrespectful for the club they are currently playing for. Barndoor's celebration was different as the fucker sprinted the full length of the pitch to celebrate in front of us travelling supporters.
O'Leary donated his medals collection all won at Arsenal to the museum which shows me he's actually very proud of his achievements at the club. Given that he was overlooked for the manager's job after Graham was sacked probably left a nasty taste in his mouth, after all the years of loyal service to the club. (A bit like the way Adams has been treated).

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Nos89 wrote:. Barndoor's celebration was different as the fucker sprinted the full length of the pitch to celebrate in front of us travelling supporters.
Apart from Greedy for the above ridiculous twattish run there really isnt any ex Arsenal player I hate- Ive been disappointed in a few, Kennedy and Stapleton, as well as RVP.

BUT the more recent departures can increasingly be understood. Even Cole,- would he honestly have been one of the greatest LBs England have had if he had stayed with us :oops:.
Theres so many who've left to win titles, its simply embarrassing. At the 2015 Community shield match a few Citeh supporters were giving lip- among other things saying we are a feeder club. That stuck in my thinking- sadly thats where we are now :evil:
:oops: :oops:

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

He admits to hitting SAF with the pizza. One of the reasons I loved him :lol:

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/the-toe-poke/ ... ery-solved

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Paul Merson - retarded fuckwit. About as funny as a triple hernia.......ha ha ha yeah Cinnamon Jackson just hit the beans on toast.....funny if you're aged 12 or under. Chavski loving prick still bitter about being sold on 99 goals despite the fact that the club stood by him through all his troubles. Grade A asshole

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Keown has become a complete prick who sums up everything that has kept Wanker in a job for 10 years too many.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 pm
Paul Merson - retarded fuckwit. About as funny as a triple hernia.......ha ha ha yeah Cinnamon Jackson just hit the beans on toast.....funny if you're aged 12 or under. Chavski loving prick still bitter about being sold on 99 goals despite the fact that the club stood by him through all his troubles. Grade A asshole
If you dislike Merson so much I must ask if you have read his autobiography? He comes across as a deeply intellectual and spiritual guy who always put his family ahead of his own problems, self interest and greed.

Oh, hang on... no, he comes across as the absolute polar opposite of all that. :lol: