Ex Arsenal players you used to love, but now hate

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Ex Arsenal players you used to love, but now hate

Post by Clash »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:18 pm
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:05 pm
campbell is a man i would have severe trouble with if not for the fact he was and still remains a gooner. the bloke seems to be mentally deranged, his strange, fractious accounts of racism at roker park in an fa cup match in 1995 that have largely been proven to be incorrect, his sulk tantrum against wham, his certainty that his colour stopped him from becoming an england captain (he may have a point but the certainty to call the situation was a bit weird) plus his tory credentials paint him as a bit of a weirdo at best, wrong un at worst.

but he is a very interesting character, i do think his ego is so huge that he found a way to invent a way to excuse possible shortcomings in his own career, i mean he almost comes across as a bit of a psychopath. he took everything the scummers gave him in 2001 and didn't seem at all bothered by it, i wonder if he ever loved them, or loves us now. it seems his willingness to succeed drove him a bit mad really, who else would have made the move he did?

but to answer the thread, i can also say martin keown is a colossal *word censored*, shame he's so far up wenger's arse tbh. also a bit tired of hearing thierry on sky sports all the time, i love the man but i think he loves the sound of his own voice a bit too much, plus at the end of the day, he did do to us what other players have also done without coming under the same criticism, which sort of grates me because he calls himself an arsenal supporter, not so much a supporter in 2007.

paul merson strikes me as a strange bloke, keeps telling people he supports the rentboys but never made so much noise about it until last couple of years , maybe to curb some accusations of pro arsenal bias from rival fans. either way i wish he'd stop advertising the fact like its something to be proud of. ch*lsea scum :evil:

Can only really think of Figo and Mo Johnston who made moves that stirred up as much hatred from fans and he did remarkably well to deal with it.

However, he comes across as completely self absorbed and the way he flutters his eyes and closes them during interviews is quite un-nerving to me.
The brilliant Michael Laudrup had already done the Barcelona to Madrid thing before Figo and was hated for it but yeah those other two moves certainly stirred up hatred as well and you have to wonder what these players are thinking. They know beforehand that it's gonna cause trouble but they do it regardless. It's not like they needed the money and had nowhere else to go.

That thing you mentioned about Sol is him deep in thought. He's very intelligent you know, and that's his way of letting us know :roll:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:11 pm
Goonersid in "I hate England international" shocker :D
:lol:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:18 pm
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:05 pm
campbell is a man i would have severe trouble with if not for the fact he was and still remains a gooner. the bloke seems to be mentally deranged, his strange, fractious accounts of racism at roker park in an fa cup match in 1995 that have largely been proven to be incorrect, his sulk tantrum against wham, his certainty that his colour stopped him from becoming an england captain (he may have a point but the certainty to call the situation was a bit weird) plus his tory credentials paint him as a bit of a weirdo at best, wrong un at worst.

but he is a very interesting character, i do think his ego is so huge that he found a way to invent a way to excuse possible shortcomings in his own career, i mean he almost comes across as a bit of a psychopath. he took everything the scummers gave him in 2001 and didn't seem at all bothered by it, i wonder if he ever loved them, or loves us now. it seems his willingness to succeed drove him a bit mad really, who else would have made the move he did?

but to answer the thread, i can also say martin keown is a colossal *word censored*, shame he's so far up wenger's arse tbh. also a bit tired of hearing thierry on sky sports all the time, i love the man but i think he loves the sound of his own voice a bit too much, plus at the end of the day, he did do to us what other players have also done without coming under the same criticism, which sort of grates me because he calls himself an arsenal supporter, not so much a supporter in 2007.

paul merson strikes me as a strange bloke, keeps telling people he supports the rentboys but never made so much noise about it until last couple of years , maybe to curb some accusations of pro arsenal bias from rival fans. either way i wish he'd stop advertising the fact like its something to be proud of. ch*lsea scum :evil:

Can only really think of Figo and Mo Johnston who made moves that stirred up as much hatred from fans and he did remarkably well to deal with it.

However, he comes across as completely self absorbed and the way he flutters his eyes and closes them during interviews is quite un-nerving to me.
He has a large family, remember one scum fan giving him grief and got beaten to a pulp by Sol Campbells Brothers

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:09 am
Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:02 am
I almost had a bit of Road Rage with Sol Campbell. Think it was Spring 2002.

I was trying to pull out of a side road by the Tower of London. The first car gave me room but a Range Rover in the 2nd lane blocked me in, when it would have been easier to let me pull out.

I shouted something along the lines of "Oh you wanker" towards the Range Rover before realising that the driver was none other than our number 23. He sort of looked at me then sat staring straight ahead until the lights changed.

It was around 2pm on a weekday so I assume he had been to training and was heading into Central London to spend his ridiculous salary.
You hard bastard. :lol: :wink:
Never get angry with other motorists, coz you never know if they have a shank or shooter like that man Noye!....

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:51 am
robbo10 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:25 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am
flash gunner wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:23 am

No one said he was perfect, Nostrilus Maximus. :D :wink:

He's just human. He lashed out like some of us do. I doubt he was trying to offend or piss off Gooners tbh, he probably never even considered that part of it. Having read GG's autobiography he comes across the way a lot of top managers do; focussed, obsessive, egotistical and with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Not perfect, but an Arsenal Legend to me. 8)
He was associated with the club for 30 years or more and didnt know managing the scum would piss people off? :shock:
I'm saying he probably didn't give too many fucks. As I say, at that level of manager/player there is a certain amount of ego/self-interest at play. He's not perfect.

Just like Wenger is n - ah, you know where that one is going! :lol: :wink:
I'm sure I read or heard him say himself,Charlie George was ready to join the scum,I wonder how the King of Islington would have been thought of after that........I think that was to spite the club too?
100% fact. He said it himself. And he was a boy from our terraces. :| Still an Arsenal Legend, mind. 8)
A bit of insight into how ''Derby stole George from Spurs' here:'

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/f ... rby-340317

herbert

Post by herbert »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:48 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:51 am
robbo10 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:25 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am
flash gunner wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 am

He was associated with the club for 30 years or more and didnt know managing the scum would piss people off? :shock:
I'm saying he probably didn't give too many fucks. As I say, at that level of manager/player there is a certain amount of ego/self-interest at play. He's not perfect.

Just like Wenger is n - ah, you know where that one is going! :lol: :wink:
I'm sure I read or heard him say himself,Charlie George was ready to join the scum,I wonder how the King of Islington would have been thought of after that........I think that was to spite the club too?
100% fact. He said it himself. And he was a boy from our terraces. :| Still an Arsenal Legend, mind. 8)
A bit of insight into how ''Derby stole George from Spurs' here:'

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/f ... rby-340317
I never knew that he was that close to signing for the vermin :cussing: It was bad enough seeing him in a Derby shirt :shock: