Ex Arsenal players you used to love, but now hate

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Ex Arsenal players you used to love, but now hate

Post by DB10GOONER »

Tits, or I'm deleting it.... :the_doris_2: :anyminute: :anyminute:

:D :wink:

wibble

Post by wibble »

I don't really hate any ex players.

But I do hate Wenger :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wibble wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:06 am
I don't really hate any ex players.

But I do hate Wenger :wink:
:barscarf: :lol:

worthing_gooner

Post by worthing_gooner »

Got to be Nasri for me. Looked really promising as a youngster, when he came in he was embraced at the club. Finally started putting in some unbelievable performances and then fucked off at the first sign of a bit of extra money.

For some reason that leaves a more bitter taste than the others. People like RVP and Cesc, there were mitigating factors. Clichy, Toure, Sagna, we'd already had the best years from. Nasri felt like a stab in the back and he's gone on to act like a right *word censored* ever since to be honest, which is a shame because due to his personality he's never fulfilled the promise he had as a youngster.

NickF

Post by NickF »

worthing_gooner wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:41 am
Got to be Nasri for me. Looked really promising as a youngster, when he came in he was embraced at the club. Finally started putting in some unbelievable performances and then fucked off at the first sign of a bit of extra money.

For some reason that leaves a more bitter taste than the others. People like RVP and Cesc, there were mitigating factors. Clichy, Toure, Sagna, we'd already had the best years from. Nasri felt like a stab in the back and he's gone on to act like a right *word censored* ever since to be honest, which is a shame because due to his personality he's never fulfilled the promise he had as a youngster.
Alway loved this quote by Gael Clichy:

"I really believe if you are a player who thinks only about money then you could end up at Manchester City"

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I remember the days when a good player leaving Arsenal or being sold by Arsenal equated with them taking a step down in their career. GG said it, many of the players of his playing and managerial eras have said it. The perception was the vast majority of good ex-Arsenal players did not go on to better things.

Nowadays nearly every good player that leaves goes onto win the PL or the CL. :(

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:21 am
I remember the days when a good player leaving Arsenal or being sold by Arsenal equated with them taking a step down in their career. GG said it, many of the players of his playing and managerial eras have said it. The perception was the vast majority of good ex-Arsenal players did not go on to better things.

Nowadays nearly every good player that leaves goes onto win the PL or the CL. :(
Said it then went an' did it :banghead:

RobG

Post by RobG »

I would put it more in the line of losing respect for them.

Bob Wilson maybe everyone's favourite for his charity work. But his defence of the current regime in all forms has long been difficult to take. Ditto Pat Rice. Although in fairness he has said nothing since leaving. But then what could he say ?

Keown's devotion to Wenger has left his credibility on a microscope slide. And Bouldy has just sold out, which is sad to see.

I like Merse on Soccer Saturday even if he won't ever win Mastermind. And I still admire TH even though he is - understandably- excessively diplomatic on Wengo. Wrighty blows hot and cold but at least he cares and doesn't hide it.

The closest I'd come to active dislike is not a player but our former Chairman Hill-Wood.
Up until the Dein bust up, he was a first class Chairman. Post the Dein bust up, he was a disaster. And having damned Kronke, he sold out to him entirely and followed him round like a lap dog. I will not forgive him for that. :cussing:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

RobG wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:40 pm
I would put it more in the line of losing respect for them.

Bob Wilson maybe everyone's favourite for his charity work. But his defence of the current regime in all forms has long been difficult to take. Ditto Pat Rice. Although in fairness he has said nothing since leaving. But then what could he say ?

Keown's devotion to Wenger has left his credibility on a microscope slide. And Bouldy has just sold out, which is sad to see.

I like Merse on Soccer Saturday even if he won't ever win Mastermind. And I still admire TH even though he is - understandably- excessively diplomatic on Wengo. Wrighty blows hot and cold but at least he cares and doesn't hide it.

The closest I'd come to active dislike is not a player but our former Chairman Hill-Wood.
Up until the Dein bust up, he was a first class Chairman. Post the Dein bust up, he was a disaster. And having damned Kronke, he sold out to him entirely and followed him round like a lap dog. I will not forgive him for that. :cussing:

I don't remember Pat saying anything before he left !! :lol:

RobG

Post by RobG »

:D :D

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Thierry Henry, fucking wanker, shit footballer, never liked him

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:42 pm
Thierry Henry, fucking wanker, shit footballer, never liked him
Same goes for that bloke Vieira. Don't know what anyone ever saw in him. Long legs, red cards - shite !!

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I don't get the logic in hating a player because he supports Wenger. If it's what he believes then that's fair enough. I completely disagree and want Wenger out but I don't hate people for saying what they truly believe.

However, I think it's fair enough to have a go at the many ex-players who flip-flop, who describe the team's performance as unacceptable but claim AW is the best man to sort it out one week then say he has to go when the tide seems to be turning, then revert the following week. Unfortunately, many of my heroes (IWWW, Keown etc) are in this camp. I hope they get in the Wenger out camp and stay there this time.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:40 pm
I don't get the logic in hating a player because he supports Wenger. If it's what he believes then that's fair enough. I completely disagree and want Wenger out but I don't hate people for saying what they truly believe.

However, I think it's fair enough to have a go at the many ex-players who flip-flop, who describe the team's performance as unacceptable but claim AW is the best man to sort it out one week then say he has to go when the tide seems to be turning, then revert the following week. Unfortunately, many of my heroes (IWWW, Keown etc) are in this camp. I hope they get in the Wenger out camp and stay there this time.
For me mate it's less about the liking Wenger and more the absolute awe some of them hold him in such as Keown.

I detest Keown as a pundit and a Wenger apologist but i can seperate that from his days as a player, i can also understand Wrights flip-flopping to a degree. I dont think i hate any of them just their inability to to be objective about anything he does and again Keown is the apotheosis in this.

I also don't really hate any of the ones who left for money and more, never having been in the dressing room none of us can say what was going on behind the scenes at the time and we all allowed our feelings for Arsenal and the way the moves were portrayed by our ever reliable media to colour our opinions of their decisions, many still do. Personally i feel now that i have seen the total deterioration of the club to where it is now that if i'd been one of those players i might of done the same thing, none of them have exactly been unsuccessful after their moves so much as those player choices felt like a stab in the back at the time i can view them in a more detached manner these days.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I never took to William Gallas and I think he was negative influence in the dressing room.
I didnt like Stewart Robson for walking out either.

In the case of those now in the media I think we and they have to seperate who they were and who they are.

Keown owes Wenger for getting him a medal in his last season . No one will forget the cheers as he came on with seconds to go. He isnt very bright but he is loyal to his old boss bless him.

Wrighty wears his heart on his sleeve bless him . He says what he thinks at the time.

Henry has taken big bucks to be in the media so he has to dish the dirt.

Pires doesnt know what to do with his life so he hangs out at Arsenal .

The merse got sold so he has no need to be loyal.

None really are expected to do enough of a hatchett job to remove TOF