Money

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bunting14

Re: Money

Post by Bunting14 »

Neilers C wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:10 am
Can't get away from fair play destruction these days. I still think City will hit a bad patch and fingers crossed it results in Pep just walking away, something you could never really rule out anyway to be honest.
To be honest I rather City win the league than United, Spurs, Chelsea or Liverpool.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bunting14 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 am
Neilers C wrote:
Can't get away from fair play destruction these days. I still think City will hit a bad patch and fingers crossed it results in Pep just walking away, something you could never really rule out anyway to be honest.
To be honest I rather City win the league than United, Spurs, Chelsea or Liverpool.
Me too. Citeh are certainly the lesser of 5 evils.... :|

And before anyone jumps in, yes, I do realiase that is how far we have fallen now that we are wishing a pimped no mark club like citeh win it because they are the less cúnty of all the other clubs, and because we can't win it ourselves... :roll:

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

That's What I Want :dance:

Clash

Post by Clash »

I dont hate Man City anywhere near as much as I hate the others for some reason. Maybe because they got their funds when I was past caring. However, when people tell me I hate Chelsea because of Abramovich etc. then I tell them that's bollocks ... I hated them already. For many, many reasons ... and I would still hate them if they were languishing in the lower leagues with crowds of 11,000 struggling to fill the Kerry Dixon stand.

What I hate now though is that my hatred for the people who run Arsenal and my hatred for what they've turned Arsenal into has kind of diluted my hatred of the others. I don't mean I've warmed to them ... just that I hate pretty much everyone in football now. Its all sort of blurred into one big lump of hatred whereas in the past it used to be so black and white who to like and who to hate.

Maybe in the past I was naive but I really did think Arsenal stood for something that other clubs didnt and I was really proud to say I was an Arsenal supporter. I loved that in London we still stood head and shoulders above the rest of the London clubs even if we didnt have the best team in London. And I loved that we were the only club from the south that could compete with the big northern clubs. The northern media and pundits praised us through gritted teeth when Graham was our manager and it felt so good when we rammed their criticisms back down their throats.

And of course Highbury had a touch of class that places like Anfield and Old Trafford just couldnt emulate. Only perhaps Ibrox, Villa Park and Goodison even came close and with those grounds it was only one stand or one side of the ground that had something.

In this modern money obsessed era I am no longer all that proud to say I am an Arsenal fan. In fact I dread being introduced to someone as one because I just dont want to talk about football to ''fellow fans'' in case they are one of the new breed that I despise. And I dont like talking to ''rival fans'' who think telling me what great football we play is pleasing to me. Its make me want to vomit.

Money has destroyed the sporting side of the game and the partisan, tribal part of it too really. Because how can fans of the top clubs have any pride or take any satisfaction from their teams spending hundreds of millions every year just buying success. Just like a doped up athlete winning a gold medal ... who gives a fuck!! If Mourinho wins the title for instance ... so fucking what! He's just spent and spent until he's got it right. All meaningless really.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:43 pm
I dont hate Man City anywhere near as much as I hate the others for some reason. Maybe because they got their funds when I was past caring. However, when people tell me I hate Chelsea because of Abramovich etc. then I tell them that's bollocks ... I hated them already. For many, many reasons ... and I would still hate them if they were languishing in the lower leagues with crowds of 11,000 struggling to fill the Kerry Dixon stand.

What I hate now though is that my hatred for the people who run Arsenal and my hatred for what they've turned Arsenal into has kind of diluted my hatred of the others. I don't mean I've warmed to them ... just that I hate pretty much everyone in football now. Its all sort of blurred into one big lump of hatred whereas in the past it used to be so black and white who to like and who to hate.

Maybe in the past I was naive but I really did think Arsenal stood for something that other clubs didnt and I was really proud to say I was an Arsenal supporter. I loved that in London we still stood head and shoulders above the rest of the London clubs even if we didnt have the best team in London. And I loved that we were the only club from the south that could compete with the big northern clubs. The northern media and pundits praised us through gritted teeth when Graham was our manager and it felt so good when we rammed their criticisms back down their throats.

And of course Highbury had a touch of class that places like Anfield and Old Trafford just couldnt emulate. Only perhaps Ibrox, Villa Park and Goodison even came close and with those grounds it was only one stand or one side of the ground that had something.

In this modern money obsessed era I am no longer all that proud to say I am an Arsenal fan. In fact I dread being introduced to someone as one because I just dont want to talk about football to ''fellow fans'' in case they are one of the new breed that I despise. And I dont like talking to ''rival fans'' who think telling me what great football we play is pleasing to me. Its make me want to vomit.

Money has destroyed the sporting side of the game and the partisan, tribal part of it too really. Because how can fans of the top clubs have any pride or take any satisfaction from their teams spending hundreds of millions every year just buying success. Just like a doped up athlete winning a gold medal ... who gives a fuck!! If Mourinho wins the title for instance ... so fucking what! He's just spent and spent until he's got it right. All meaningless really.
Superb post, Clash. Says it all. 8) 8)

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Exactly how I feel Clash.

For a few years after we were sold the Emirates dream, I hated Chelsea even more than usual because of the pimp money from the dirty Russian gangster but now that has subsided a lot, perhaps like in your case due to the growing hate towards our own regime which is all about money first and sport second, at least with the Chavs it's the other way around even if it is a bit 'cheaty'.

I was sick to death of the Chelsea/United duopoly that followed our "austerity years" and if it's now going to be a City/United (with possibly Chelsea and Spurs as the darkhorse) then f*ck me I'm done.

Only watched one game on TV this season so far, I expect by this stage next season it will be zero. We are not even trying so why should I?.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Neilers C wrote:
Why would he walk away ?

Has he got integrity ? Would he feel that he has failed ?
Can't he just blame something else, like the 4th official, or sterling being devalued ( that's a monatary / city joke )

General

Post by General »

Difficult to hate the oil clubs when we are supporting the biggest scam in world football aka Arsenal Football Club.

When the opportunity finally presented itself to put some credibility to this self funding model we limped 10points behind the mighty Leicester City.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Lets be honest with the financial clout of the top 4/5 and i include us in that there is no way any other club can compete or break into the top 5 places any more, i know people will mention Leicester but lets be honest that was a total fluke season, all the top clubs were shit and they put together an unbelievably consistent team but if even one of the top 4/5 had been firing they wouldn't have got near the title. Look what happened after, they have been dismantled by the money rich clubs over a couple of seasons.

There is not one club outside those top 5 that come near to the others in terms of finances, not even the Spuds so pretty much barring the odd absolute fluke the top 5/6 slots are locked out. Again this becomes self fulfilling because without the extra finance we and the others were able to launder from either the Oil Barons or ECL over the year no other club unless someone absolutely minted buys them will ever come close to challenging, so the football itself has actually become almost insignificant in the modern era, money is everything.

This is pretty much the same in all the top 5 european leagues, 2 or 3 absolutely dominant teams for about 20 years constantly generating money, money, money or with an unbelievably rich benefactor injecting cash and none of the smaller teams can realistically compete so the football itself becomes irrelevant and to a degree even academies become pointless. We dont make footballers anymore, we just buy them from elsewhere with the odd exception.

Not the best worded post but it i hope you get the point :rubchin:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Peeman wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:10 pm
That's What I Want :dance:
The best things in life are free, but you can keep 'em for the birds and bees.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKwsLoBX0AANE4F.jpg

Kroenke and our shareholders will be happy, money is the name of the game, next season without Sanchez and Ozil that will make up for the lost CL revenue.

We are in a strong financial position and are a sound investment for all our shareholders, that is what we're about after all..

Arsene Stanley PLC - a name you can trust for your pension investments.

:barscarf: :censored:

NickF

Post by NickF »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:15 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKwsLoBX0AANE4F.jpg

Kroenke and our shareholders will be happy, money is the name of the game, next season without Sanchez and Ozil that will make up for the lost CL revenue.

We are in a strong financial position and are a sound investment for all our shareholders, that is what we're about after all..

Arsene Stanley PLC - a name you can trust for your pension investments.

:barscarf: :censored:
So we bring in £422m and spend just under £200m on wages, although this does not include champions league bonuses. No wonder the players and manager always look so interested towards the end of the season with that push for 4th.

More bullshit from Gazidis I see, "Our ambition is clear - to win major trophies". :roll: