Sanchez

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
xisstential

Sanchez

Post by xisstential »

Ok, so now we are in a different place with him as he never got the transfer he wanted. So what do we think is going to happen??

I personally think he'll go in January. Nothing so far this season could have changed his mind, the loss to Stoke & the hammering at Liverpool could only have strengthened his desire to leave. He wants to play football, so if Wenger puts him on the field he will do what comes naturally to him but I do not for one moment believe he is doing it for Wenger or Arsenal. He is playing football where he is, because for the moment, he is stuck where he is. I don't think he cares whether we win, lose or draw. In fact I think he finds some of the stuff that goes on on the pitch genuinely comical. Come December we will be completely out of the running and City will probably still be well in the hunt, so why would he not still want to go there?? Plus, are AFC really going to eat the best part of 50k come next June, I can't see it. Thoughts!!

GTG

Re: Sanchez

Post by GTG »

The whole situation with Sanchez sums up Arsenal under Wenger.

Spend all summer saying he is staying. He comes back fakes an illness, finally gets some game time at Anfield and I reckon at that point Wenger realised his attitude was going to cause problems and decided to listen to what Man City were offering.

The £60m deal didn't get over the line due to the usual dithering now we are stuck with a player who is most likely very unpopular in the dressing room. I think it spoke volumes last week that Wenger chose to play him on Thursday night for 90 minutes rather than Sunday and the resulting performance (despite it only being a 0-0) showed that it was probably the right choice.

As much as I love watching a fully committed motivated Sanchez Im not convinced its for the good of the team that he plays any meaningful part in any important games anymore.

In the grand scheme of what will happen this season im not actually sure it makes a blind bit of difference :lol: we did fuck all in the league with him an ozil last season anyway.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Pretty much agree with both posts.

I think Sanchez may well leave in January … but I don’t think he is the sort of player to go through the motions waiting until he does leave. Wenger might use him less than in previous seasons but in desperate situations he will turn to him, which means I can still see Sanchez getting Wenger off the hook on a number of occasions.

Welbeck’s injury may well mean Sanchez gets more time on the pitch than was planned (although you should always plan for a Welbeck injury :roll: ).

It so often seems that Wenger’s mis-management perversely work in his favour rather than coming back to bite him on the arse the way he deserves it to. And so on it goes where we cannot get rid of the fucker no matter what he does :banghead:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Fuck him,and his Flu :lol: ,and his torn stomach muscle, :lol: ,and his feeling a bit tired. :lol:
Just another in a long line of players with their eye on the next big payday,who have little or no loyalty to the club that they currently play for,other than that of a shop window and stepping stone to their next big money move,(cue Onebard with a Monkees you tube video of relevant song).

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:05 pm
Fuck him,and his Flu :lol: ,and his torn stomach muscle, :lol: ,and his feeling a bit tired. :lol:
Just another in a long line of players with their eye on the next big payday,who have little or no loyalty to the club that they currently play for,other than that of a shop window and stepping stone to their next big money move,(cue Onebard with a Monkees you tube video of relevant song).
Just another in a long list of players who have spotted Wenger for the fraud he is and will go to a proper top team and win trophies. By proper I mean a team that actually challenges for titles and has ambition. I don't think it's about money, we would have bust the bank to keep him, he wants to win trophies. Very ungrateful, considering Wenger made him the player he is today :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:34 pm
Rugby Gooner wrote:
Just another in a long list of players who have spotted Wenger for the fraud he is and will go to a proper top team and win trophies. By proper I mean a team that actually challenges for titles and has ambition. I don't think it's about money, we would have bust the bank to keep him, he wants to win trophies. Very ungrateful, considering Wenger made him the player he is today :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:
You had me with you right up till you said "Very Ungrateful"...If we had a proper manager as in one who can manage a world famous club / team and actually show progession year on year and season on season, a manger who still understood the game and wasn't stuck back in pre- 2002 - Then yes I firmly believe Alexis would stay.

It is all down to wenger and his utterly redundant approach to managing a football cub, especially a world famous club like Arsenal FC... Sadly under his tenure of the past 12 seasons not only have we gone backwards but we have regressed to the point where it will take 4 - 6 seasons to get back amongst the top prem & european teams and for any in-coming manager to undo all the bad, lazy, softy, money before trophies habits that are reeking havoc in the club we all love.

The shadow that wenger casts has now done more harm than any good he ever once did.

augie

Post by augie »

GTG wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:28 pm
The whole situation with Sanchez sums up Arsenal under Wenger.

Spend all summer saying he is staying. He comes back fakes an illness, finally gets some game time at Anfield and I reckon at that point Wenger realised his attitude was going to cause problems and decided to listen to what Man City were offering.

The £60m deal didn't get over the line due to the usual dithering now we are stuck with a player who is most likely very unpopular in the dressing room. I think it spoke volumes last week that Wenger chose to play him on Thursday night for 90 minutes rather than Sunday and the resulting performance (despite it only being a 0-0) showed that it was probably the right choice.

As much as I love watching a fully committed motivated Sanchez Im not convinced its for the good of the team that he plays any meaningful part in any important games anymore.

In the grand scheme of what will happen this season im not actually sure it makes a blind bit of difference :lol: we did fuck all in the league with him an ozil last season anyway.

I am a big sanchez fan. I think that technically he is somewhere between average and good, but he really plays with passion and a will to win that no other player in our squad comes close to matching. Saying all that, I still absolutely believe that we should have sold him last month and there is no way we should be writing off the approx. £60m that we MIGHT get for him and ozil in January. However let me just say that if you believe that bit in red that you posted, then I presume you wouldn't let ozil near the stadium on matchdays - sulking or not, I would still pick him every day of the week over ozil

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:34 pm
Ok, so now we are in a different place with him as he never got the transfer he wanted. So what do we think is going to happen??

I personally think he'll go in January. Nothing so far this season could have changed his mind, the loss to Stoke & the hammering at Liverpool could only have strengthened his desire to leave. He wants to play football, so if Wenger puts him on the field he will do what comes naturally to him but I do not for one moment believe he is doing it for Wenger or Arsenal. He is playing football where he is, because for the moment, he is stuck where he is. I don't think he cares whether we win, lose or draw. In fact I think he finds some of the stuff that goes on on the pitch genuinely comical. Come December we will be completely out of the running and City will probably still be well in the hunt, so why would he not still want to go there?? Plus, are AFC really going to eat the best part of 50k come next June, I can't see it. Thoughts!!
Good post Chris. Sanchez pretty much sums up where Arsenal are going wrong. But you didn't mention the two most annoying things about this :-

1. Once again we have a world class player, a genuine game changer but he is surrounded by mediocrity. We'll never win any big prize if we don't retain and build upon players like Sanchez, RVP, Fabregas, Arshavin etc.

2. Sanchez will be blamed and scapegoated by many, despite.the truth being that he is the world beater and his manager is a serial loser.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:48 pm
xisstential wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:
You had me with you right up till you said "Very Ungrateful"...If we had a proper manager as in one who can manage a world famous club / team and actually show progession year on year and season on season, a manger who still understood the game and wasn't stuck back in pre- 2002 - Then yes I firmly believe Alexis would stay.

It is all down to wenger and his utterly redundant approach to managing a football cub, especially a world famous club like Arsenal FC... Sadly under his tenure of the past 12 seasons not only have we gone backwards but we have regressed to the point where it will take 4 - 6 seasons to get back amongst the top prem & european teams and for any in-coming manager to undo all the bad, lazy, softy, money before trophies habits that are reeking havoc in the club we all love.

The shadow that wenger casts has now done more harm than any good he ever once did.
Wenger has/is driving our club off a cliff,but the point I was trying to also make is that all these people wailing because sanchez wants to leave seem to forget that we have lost a lot better players than him in the past,so my feeling is,if you want to leave then do so.Close the door on your way out.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

xisstential wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:
I never said,or have ever said,that Wenger made Sanchez the player he is today.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:21 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:48 pm
xisstential wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:

Wenger has/is driving our club off a cliff,but the point I was trying to also make is that all these people wailing because sanchez wants to leave seem to forget that we have lost a lot better players than him in the past,so my feeling is,if you want to leave then do so.Close the door on your way out.

I think the really worrying issue is where-as before we had a bargaining chip (CL football) to attract decent players we dont have that anymore,so where Wenger had the luck/charm/bullshit to get Sanchez or Ozil before I think he's now going to find it hard to dupe people to come to the club,I mean how many savvy players would look at Arsenal now as a serious contender? and I'm not talking good players,I'm talking world class players,I wonder when we'll see another truly world class player at Arsenal,

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Um, lads... I'm pretty sure xisstential was being just a tad facetious when he wrote "Very ungrateful, considering Wenger made him the player he is today".

:lol:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:42 am
Um, lads... I'm pretty sure xisstential was being just a tad facetious when he wrote "Very ungrateful, considering Wenger made him the player he is today".

:lol:
You got it...somebody got it...I'm so happy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guys I was being sarcastic and not accusing any of you of that. I don't think even the most rabid AKB would make that claim .

Would they........ :roll: :wink: :roll:

JoshIM2150

Post by JoshIM2150 »

Couldn't agree more with the first post.
Do you think there is any chance he will stay after Jan though?
City said they would make a lower offer than what they did already. Do you think Arsenal might try to play hardball which will lead to negotiations just falling apart?

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

In Wengers head he probably still thinks he can persuade him to stay!

At the start of the summer I was in favour of keeping him even if he didn't renew as I think he is just so important to the team, but given our transfer window was even more of a balls up than usual I changed my mind in August and felt we should have sold him as we will need bucket loads of cash next summer to stand still with all the out of contract players we'll have, plus the "illness and injury" excuses are already surfacing

Get the feeling we will actually be quite active in January, particularly if we do decide to move him on and we are languishing outside the top four (which seems very likely at this point).