Winning the PL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Eboue-Why?

Re: Winning the PL

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Merge it Luke

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:25 pm
Merge it Luke
:shock:

Yoda maybe, but Luke? Now that literally would be stretching it/him :wink:

Clash

Re: House Prices.

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:06 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:14 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:23 am
Same as usual, if (when) this turns into a Wenger thread it'll be getting merged... :wink:
Okay..so let's turn it into a thread about House Prices.

I wonder how much wenger's Gaff is worth? :rubchin: :D

Why ? Is he selling up ?? :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :wink:
I bet Wenger would be a nightmare for estate agents. They'd have their idea of what his house was worth based on various criteria they use ... but he'd probably have his own valuation based on him being a massive :censored: :roll:

Re the topic question ... I don't think enough people at the club have the mentality to win the title anymore. I think that was proved beyond doubt in 2015-16 when Arsenal couldn't take advantage of all the other recent title winners having dreadful seasons.

I think that season more than any other showed that all we really do aim for is top 4. Usually there are excuses to hide behind for not winning the title but when it became clear that the title was there for the taking that season, nobody at Arsenal was prepared. Of course even without any excuses, Wenger kept his job :roll:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:22 am
augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Same as usual, if (when) this turns into a Wenger thread it'll be getting merged... :wink:

I bet Wenger would be a nightmare for estate agents. They'd have their idea of what his house was worth based on various criteria they use ... but he'd probably have his own valuation based on him being a massive :censored: :roll:
He would no doubt put in loads of low offers for various different properties, and dither over which one he actually wants and when a price was agreed would suddenly drop it the day before completion expecting the other seller to just crumble and accept it.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

More chance of plaiting fog than us winning the title

I said at the start of the season we'd finish 7th and only Everton's complete disaster of a start has made me think we could creep up to 6th. As Rodders has said, we slip further back each season........champions became regular runners-up, before a decade of VTs, then 5th......6th/7th will be the new normal under Wenger and it will continue to decline each year as another wealthy owner/ambitious club joins what was previously a closed group of 2 or 3 clubs

The wig wearing c.unt has no ambition to change anything as long as Arsene FC keeps churning in the profit.

Doomed to an ever lowering of standards

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:53 pm

I said at the start of the season we'd finish 7th and only Everton's complete disaster of a start has made me think we could creep up to 6th. As Rodders has said, we slip further back each season........champions became regular runners-up, before a decade of VTs, then 5th......6th/7th will be the new normal under Wenger and it will continue to decline each year as another wealthy owner/ambitious club joins what was previously a closed group of 2 or 3 clubs

The wig wearing c.unt has no ambition to change anything as long as Arsene FC keeps churning in the profit.

Yeah and the majority of gooners will just recondition themselves to this, perhaps I'm being "too entitled" but it's not for me, if we can't be bothered to even try and challenge because we have a profit driven owner then I want no part of any of it, you have to think what is the point, surely?.

Honestly think it's just as likely we'll get relegated under Kroenke as it is we'll win the title, not in the next 2-3 seasons but give him a decade..

:banghead:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:05 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:53 pm

Yeah and the majority of gooners will just recondition themselves to this, perhaps I'm being "too entitled" but it's not for me, if we can't be bothered to even try and challenge because we have a profit driven owner then I want no part of any of it, you have to think what is the point, surely?.

Honestly think it's just as likely we'll get relegated under Kroenke as it is we'll win the title, not in the next 2-3 seasons but give him a decade..

:banghead:
It's not being "entitled" mate - not when the club ripped up 93 years of history in the promised quest to compete with Europe's elite. Not when the CEO tells everyone 2 years ago that the new commercial deals were going to give us the firepower to buy just about any player in the world, that we were no longer a club that needed to sell its top players, and a club that rakes in £3m+ per home game. My interest has gone simply because so has the interest of the people who own and run the club. Arsenal have never won the European Cup/CL and probably never will......but that didn't stop me from going week in, week out for 20 years or so. The directors of the club used to be people that cared about it. These days its a bunch of fucking yank c.unts who couldn't give two shits about what fans think, least of all those who don't purchase 4 grand Club Level tickets

I went 17 years without Arsenal winning the league, and some of our older fans have probably gone even longer than that. I went when we a UEFA Cup finish was a success along with the odd cup win. I went when we played in front of 15000 in the League Cup, and I know a good few on here that did too. I simply refuse to pay a single penny to a club owned by non-club people, run for non-club people, and who lie to the people who do pay good money every week.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

The better question is, has the club any ambition to attempt to win the league? I would be ok with us never winning the league, if i thought the club made a genuine attempt at winning it, but we clearly don't. I remember back to the 07/08 season, and we were top going into the new year, but faced the problem of Adebayor going to the African cup of nations. Everyone told Wenger to buy a striker, but he knew best, and the season went up in smoke, when Eduardo had his leg broken by that *word censored* Taylor. Fast forward to the following January, and when the VT was in doubt, he bought Arshavin. That told me everything about the club's so called ambition.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:53 am
Clash wrote:
augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

He would no doubt put in loads of low offers for various different properties, and dither over which one he actually wants and when a price was agreed would suddenly drop it the day before completion expecting the other seller to just crumble and accept it.
Then he'd be driving around with his old woman pointing at all the expensive lovely houses saying "I almost bought that one"
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Oh and winning the league again?
NEVER
GONNA
HAPPEN

Clash

Post by Clash »

robbo10 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:52 pm
StuartL wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:53 am
Clash wrote:
augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Then he'd be driving around with his old woman pointing at all the expensive lovely houses saying "I almost bought that one"
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
:lol: :lol: at both you and StuartL

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

BFG4 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:43 pm
The better question is, has the club any ambition to attempt to win the league? I would be ok with us never winning the league, if i thought the club made a genuine attempt at winning it, but we clearly don't. I remember back to the 07/08 season, and we were top going into the new year, but faced the problem of Adebayor going to the African cup of nations. Everyone told Wenger to buy a striker, but he knew best, and the season went up in smoke, when Eduardo had his leg broken by that *word censored* Taylor. Fast forward to the following January, and when the VT was in doubt, he bought Arshavin. That told me everything about the club's so called ambition.
That sums it up nicely - 4th place was more important than winning the title, just shows what we have become - a corporation that's first and primary target is to make it's shareholders (owner) richer, if we win stuff along the way great, but it doesn't really matter and none of them are going to 'risk' trying to actually go after glory on the field.

We failed to gain CL qualification last season and this summer Wenger makes another net profit on transfers, I don't believe much in coincidence, he is clearly playing along with Kroenke in all this which is part of the reason he still has a job.

Playing in the same league as teams with owners as ambitious as City and Chelsea and with United being so massive financially in their own right, as well as slightly ambitious owners at Spurs and Pool, who knows maybe Usmanov at Everton soon?, we are royally f*cked now.

Who will be our 'star' players next season? - Ramsey and Lacazette?. :roll:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

No, not even when OGL goes.

As long as the Wiggy *word censored* and his sycophants are running the club we could have the best manager in the world currently and he would not win the league.

No matter how good a manger is he needs an excellent support network at the club to be able to do his job properly, not just the coaching staff and players but the lawyers, commercial people, bean counters, the board, CEO and chairman and we are deficient in every department as a footballing club, our comercial deals are poor in comparison to our 'so called' rival clubs, our ability to attract top talent is draining season after season, our scouting network seems to be non-existent, our academy is a joke and looks to be even worse next year when BGV takes over.

Simply put we are not a football club anymore, we are a commercial entity. The business of football is very different from most other types of business and whilst for a number of years we have been ambling along nicely, share price rising, money comfortably growing we are not competitive with the 3 big PL leagues clubs anymore, Chavski, Shitty and the Scum are streets ahead of us these days and we are light years behind the big European clubs.

I find this hard to take from where we were not so long ago but over the last couple of years i've had a wake up call, i look about the PL and realise we are not competitive in nearly every essential department in terms of requirements for football success. We like to look through rose-tinted glasses as Arsenal fans but lets be honest its what 6-7 years since we had our last real tilt at the title and 13 coming on 14 since we actually won the thing, we didn't get out of the R16 in the CL for the last 7 years and have now dropped into the Junior competition.

As long as the club, sorry business has an attitude of stock piling money and being 'self sustaining' we will not be able to compete with the big 3, if they can afford to throw around 150-200M and we are looking to make a profit in the transfer market it doesn't matter who you are as a manager you're fucked :banghead:

Sean

Post by Sean »

Never again, whilst TOF and Wiggy are here stinking the place out, which could drag into decades :banghead:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

BFG4 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:43 pm
NO

To be fair to Kroenke he has actually stated this. Yes he is a :censored: but he does at least say things as they are.
For some reason though the majority of our fanbase seem to be under the impression that we do try and win it each year! :lol: :lol: deluded or what!

Midz

Post by Midz »

Curious as to why this is posted on an Arsenal forum.