Non League Day - 7 Oct

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SPARKSY

Non League Day - 7 Oct

Post by SPARKSY »

Tomorrow is your chance to get away from everything Arsenal and support your real local team.
Is anyone going down to support their local side and if so whats the game.
Remember these teams really do appreciate your support, unlike other bigger sides we could mention and you get to park right outside the ground, have a beer whilst watching the game and buy a burger from a van inside the ground :wink:

Enfield v Margate

NickF

Re: Non League Day - 7 Oct

Post by NickF »

Not non-league, but I've been supporting my local team Southend United all season.
The manager is the old Hull boss Phil Brown. Apparently because they've been close to the playoffs the last few years but fell away at the end, some supporters want to get rid of him. I said I could put them in touch with the people I use for banners!!!

One of the plus point about the ground is they actually have a pub inside it.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

NickF wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:28 pm
Not non-league, but I've been supporting my local team Southend United all season.
The manager is the old Hull boss Phil Brown. Apparently because they've been close to the playoffs the last few years but fell away at the end, some supporters want to get rid of him. I said I could put them in touch with the people I use for banners!!!

Phil Brown would put me off going....didn't he do the half time team talk in the centre circle...look at me, look at me...

Great to support the local team though...at leas the players care about the jersey.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Went to Church for the 10 year Remembear service for Dainton. Others went on the Fla March All ended up in the gunners with riders of the night avoided the away boys ,. My head still throbbing and the church bells are going of 50 yards away. Its Hell in Hampstead today.
used to watch fisher athletic in sarf London when my nephew played for them,and it was always a great day out !

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

SPARKSY wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:15 pm
Tomorrow is your chance to get away from everything Arsenal and support your real local team.
Remember these teams really do appreciate your support, unlike other bigger sides we could mention and you get to park right outside the ground, have a beer whilst watching the game and buy a burger from a van inside the ground :wink:

Enfield v Margate
Small world!
Margate are now my local team, due to officiating weekends makes it difficult to attend, but will get to a game or two.
Absolutely right on supporting your local team and its bloody good value for money...
A work colleague who happened to support Spurs "old school" not your idiots you have nowadays followed Enfield religiously, his lad played for them too, and we used to have long chin wags on the Non League scene as I was managing Chatham at the time...
Non League football actually brings together people who support Premier League rivals...
Well done to Enfield in their 2-1 win.... :barscarf:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

xisstential wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:11 pm

Great to support the local team though...at leas the players care about the jersey.
:banghead: Wish us in the Gooner Valley had a real team & club to support, instead of the current evil clown show starting Wonga & Wiggy :cussing:

Seems to be no inner London lower leagues clubs to support, only hoping & waiting for the day when our supporters start a AFC Arsenal 1886 breakaway fans owned club. :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:32 pm
SPARKSY wrote:

Enfield v Margate
Small world!
Margate are now my local team, due to officiating weekends makes it difficult to attend, but will get to a game or two.
Absolutely right on supporting your local team and its bloody good value for money...
A work colleague who happened to support Spurs "old school" not your idiots you have nowadays followed Enfield religiously, his lad played for them too, and we used to have long chin wags on the Non League scene as I was managing Chatham at the time...
Non League football actually brings together people who support Premier League rivals...
Chatham Town ? used to live just off the maidstone rd few hundred yards from there .never saw them plaay but watched the gills many times.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Herd wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:38 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
SPARKSY wrote:

Enfield v Margate
Small world!
Chatham Town ? used to live just off the maidstone rd few hundred yards from there .never saw them plaay but watched the gills many times.

I watched the Gills for a number of years. It definitely counts as non-league football.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
NickF wrote:

Phil Brown would put me off going....didn't he do the half time team talk in the centre circle...look at me, look at me...

It was indeed Lying Phil Brown and his fucking headmic and Tango tan that sat the players down on the pitch and went round the centre circle cúnting them off at half time. "Look at me look at me" tosser. An absolute prize fucking bell end. :oops: :roll: :censored:

Surprised he hasn't shown up yet on "celebrity" snigger Come Dancing or some other D-Lister shite... :roll:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:19 am
Herd wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:38 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
SPARKSY wrote:

Enfield v Margate
Small world!

I watched the Gills for a number of years. It definitely counts as non-league football.
Bloody hell!
See how Non League brings us together! :lol:
We will have to get together for a few bevvies at some stage, but yes I was at Chatham from 97-2001, started with the Youth, won the U'18s Kent Youth League South which had never been done, my star striker was Danny Kedwell who later joined AFC Wimbledon (supporters love him still) Gillingham and now at Ebbsfleet.
Went on to manage the reserves won the inaugural Kent Floodlit Trophy and moved on to Maidstone Utd...
Still involved with footie and absolutely love Non League!...
Was officiating down at Herne Bay on Saturday and this lad cracked a 45 yard volley top corner! was right beside him when he hit it, actually said to him as it left his foot "it's going in son" and it did...
Happy Days!....

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:26 am
xisstential wrote:
NickF wrote:

It was indeed Lying Phil Brown and his fucking headmic and Tango tan that sat the players down on the pitch and went round the centre circle cúnting them off at half time. "Look at me look at me" tosser. An absolute prize fucking bell end. :oops: :roll: :censored:

Surprised he hasn't shown up yet on "celebrity" snigger Come Dancing or some other D-Lister shite... :roll:
A very low calibre manager who started a spat with Lord Wenger about no handshakes :lol:
Punched above his weight and was found out at Hull and as for that embarrassingly crass stunt in the middle of the pitch, Bullard (who I like, even though he is nuts) derided the stunt by replicating the said incident during a goal celebration....
Now at Southend, still too high a level for him... :lol:

Narcissus.... 8)
Last edited by Allgunsblazin on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

augie

Post by augie »

Tbh I haven't gone to watch my local league of Ireland team (local is 30 miles away) in a long, long time now and I sometimes feel guilty about it because it is a club that is on it's knee's - I used to go watch them regularly back in the early 90s and they had a load of local lads in their team, but in recent years the majority of the players seem to be Dubliners that are not good enough for the big Dublin clubs, and now they even have a few portugese and Latvian players in the team :roll: I know that I am technically an outsider (given that I don't live in their town) but for me the club has lost it's links with the local community and it is sad to hear that the attendances at home games is pitiful :oops:

My eldest lad has recently joined their academy under 14 side and will hopefully be playing league of Ireland under 15 next season, and because of that I have started to take an interest in the club again - most of the kids are within a 30 mile radius of the club (as indeed are the older academy teams), so hopefully they can re-establish links with their community and build the club back up again

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

augie wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:06 am
Tbh I haven't gone to watch my local league of Ireland team (local is 30 miles away) in a long, long time now and I sometimes feel guilty about it because it is a club that is on it's knee's - I used to go watch them regularly back in the early 90s and they had a load of local lads in their team, but in recent years the majority of the players seem to be Dubliners that are not good enough for the big Dublin clubs, and now they even have a few portugese and Latvian players in the team :roll: I know that I am technically an outsider (given that I don't live in their town) but for me the club has lost it's links with the local community and it is sad to hear that the attendances at home games is pitiful :oops:

My eldest lad has recently joined their academy under 14 side and will hopefully be playing league of Ireland under 15 next season, and because of that I have started to take an interest in the club again - most of the kids are within a 30 mile radius of the club (as indeed are the older academy teams), so hopefully they can re-establish links with their community and build the club back up again
Always hard to get the numbers up, but it starts with youth teams and getting mums and dads Grandad's aunts and uncles through the turnstiles, I think with the modern game which is out of reach for a lot of supporters with those greedy prices there is a gap in the market, not as fashionable but within most supporters reach and a sense of community which is all but lost on the EPL.....

NickF

Post by NickF »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:26 am
xisstential wrote:
NickF wrote:

A very low calibre manager who started a spat with Lord Wenger about no handshakes :lol:
Punched above his weight and was found out at Hull and as for that embarrassingly crass stunt in the middle of the pitch, Bullard (who I like, even though he is nuts) derided the stunt by replicating the said incident during a goal celebration....
Now at Southend, still too high a level for him... :lol:

Narcissus.... 8)
To be honest, he is doing about as well as he (or anyone else) could do with Southend. The best we can hope for is pushing for promotion to the championship but we wouldn't actually stand a chance if we did get promoted as the difference between the rich and the poor in that league is massive. Southend average about 5000 to 7000 attendance. The frustration is that they get themselves to the playoff positions and then have a really bad April and drop out of contention (can't think who else does something similar :wink: ).

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
SPARKSY wrote:

Enfield v Margate
Small world!
Great game and well worth the win i must say :wink:
Being neighbours to Tottenham, Enfield has always been a hotbed of Spurs support. :banghead:
Can't have everything i s'pose :lol: :lol: