OVERMARS - Director of Football

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SPUDMASHER

OVERMARS - Director of Football

Post by SPUDMASHER »

The BBC are reporting that Marc Overmars has been appointed as director of football from next season.

One can only assume that TOF has sanctioned this and we'll be the only club in Europe where the DoF reports to the team manager.
Either that or TOF is planning on dying around May 2018 and this will actually be over his dead body.

SteveO 35

Re: OVERMARS - Director of Football

Post by SteveO 35 »

SPUDMASHER wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:32 am
The BBC are reporting that Marc Overmars has been appointed as director of football from next season.

One can only assume that TOF has sanctioned this and we'll be the only club in Europe where the DoF reports to the team manager.
Either that or TOF is planning on dying around May 2018 and this will actually be over his dead body.
If it is true then sadly it will be another ex-Gooner, who I absolutely loved back in '98, turn into a complete Keown/Bould style Wenger melt and spoil every good memory I ever had of him. Can you imagine an ex-Wenger player suddenly being his boss? Would never happen would it.......so as you say, it's more like to be reverse management with Overmars being groomed (in a non Adam Johnson way) to take over from his Lord and Master in a couple of years

Herd

Post by Herd »

Yup thats what this club needs ,more layers of highly paid Yes boss men .

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Replacing Wenger would be wonderful news!...But of course that will not happen!...
The old boy has shown signs for over fucking 11 seasons that he cannot attract top players with the imminent departure of Sanchez and Ozil...
Bit late though, damage has already been done...

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:43 am
SPUDMASHER wrote:

If it is true then sadly it will be another ex-Gooner, who I absolutely loved back in '98, turn into a complete Keown/Bould style Wenger melt and spoil every good memory I ever had of him. Can you imagine an ex-Wenger player suddenly being his boss? Would never happen would it.......so as you say, it's more like to be reverse management with Overmars being groomed (in a non Adam Johnson way) to take over from his Lord and Master in a couple of years

Agree with all that - why bother bringing in a DOF when the manager has openly dismissed the role of DOF's in football ? Of course the answer is that this is yet another token gesture of appointing someone in an attempt to be seen as modernizing the set-up in the club, but the reality is that overmars will only be another addition to the mute powerless list of staff answerable to le cock :roll: :evil: :evil: :censored:

NickF

Post by NickF »

I guess someone has explained to the old *word censored* what a director of football is.

He was quite clear last season that he wouldn't work with one. This means either the story is BS or Wenger's leaving at the end of the season. :pray:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:43 am
SPUDMASHER wrote:

^^^ THIS TEN-FOLD ^^^

Coz there is NO WAY wenker will allow anyone to rock his nice little boat and his £10million+ a year for failing time and time and time again. :evil:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

NickF wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:57 am
I guess someone has explained to the old *word censored* what a director of football is.

He was quite clear last season that he wouldn't work with one. This means either the story is BS or Wenger's leaving at the end of the season. :pray:
Awww don't get me hoping again Nick - It's the feckin' hope that KILLS.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

With Dick Law gone I suppose this is his replacement as his transfer negotiations or non negotiations more like were pretty fucking vacant!
Mind you one of the reasons Overmars left Ajax was that they sold his major signing Davinson Sanchez to Spurs, tbh he will have to get used to that with Lord Wenger.... :cussing:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

A story I read over here says that he'll join as a coach not DoF.

I loved him as a player and would love to see him back at the club.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:33 pm
A story I read over here says that he'll join as a coach not DoF.

I loved him as a player and would love to see him back at the club.
I would make that about right and should he follow in Lord Wengers slippers, he will be known as
"Jacques of all trades, master of none"

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Underwhelming, low profile, token gesture.

Arsene Stanley PLC to a tee.

:roll:

General

Post by General »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:05 pm
With Dick Law gone I suppose this is his replacement as his transfer negotiations or non negotiations more like were pretty fucking vacant!
Mind you one of the reasons Overmars left Ajax was that they sold his major signing Davinson Sanchez to Spurs, tbh he will have to get used to that with Lord Wenger.... :cussing:
From what I've read the Ajax fans don't rate him. Overmars that is.

wibble

Post by wibble »

General wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:57 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Do they rate Dick?!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wibble wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:58 pm
General wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:57 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Do they rate Dick?!
They are from Amshterdamsh - they'll try anything once! :lol: