As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: 89

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:35 pm
One thing it really brought back to me is how I could sit and listen to GG talk about The Arsenal (and football in general) for hours on end. 8)

GG has more charisma in his fingertip than any of the attention whore (Klopp, Conte) tosser (Moron-hio) snide (Wenger) and boarish (Fat Sam The Piedeophile) modern managers could ever hope to have. :roll: :censored:
Well said mate. Couldnt agree more.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Watched this today for the first time. I'm sure it's already been mentioned on here but the two things that really struck me are:-

1. How fantastically George Graham prepared the team for this match. I didn't think it was possible to love GG any more - but I do now.

2. How the players celebrated with the fans afterwards. Superb!!! Can you imagine the current shower of prima donnas wanting to spend even 1 second with us????

And watching THAT goal still brings me to tears. Pathetic I know but what a day. What a goal. What a team. What a Club!!!!

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

1989. Just those numbers in that order in any context mean one thing. I was just a kid but remember everything about that night. Absolutely everything. Being a Friday night and the start of half-term holidays, I had to wait a whole week to go back to school to revel in the glory of it all.

wibble

Post by wibble »

Got it for Xmas but not watched it yet. Do I qualify for the sewing machine?

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Great days, great Team, makes the decline all the more painful :twisted: :banghead:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

wibble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:15 pm
No 8)

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

Great as that win was and the team, if this forum was around then we would have been moaning in the previous few weeks calling them bottlers and writing Graham out.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Every time this subject comes up I’m lucky enough and privileged to be able to say ‘I was there’

Clash

Post by Clash »

corkbarry wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 am
Great as that win was and the team, if this forum was around then we would have been moaning in the previous few weeks calling them bottlers and writing Graham out.
There is no way people would have called for Graham to go. The players might have been labelled bottlers by some but I think acknowledging they were inexperienced would have been the overriding view. I still remember the great reception they got after the Wimbledon home game when they walked round the pitch and David Rocastle said it was one of the things that inspired them for the Anfield game.

I understand your point though. If our team now had to win 2 games at home to the modern equivalent of Derby and Wimbledon to win the title and only picked up a point .... they would be battered for it. But this team would never be in that position ... they havent been for 13 seasons .... and that's why they and the manager are so disliked.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:04 am
corkbarry wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 am
There is no way people would have called for Graham to go. The players might have been labelled bottlers by some but I think acknowledging they were inexperienced would have been the overriding view. I still remember the great reception they got after the Wimbledon home game when they walked round the pitch and David Rocastle said it was one of the things that inspired them for the Anfield game.

I understand your point though. If our team now had to win 2 games at home to the modern equivalent of Derby and Wimbledon to win the title and only picked up a point .... they would be battered for it. But this team would never be in that position ... they havent been for 13 seasons .... and that's why they and the manager are so disliked.
I agree Clash. I also think it should be pointed out that it took most of this forum nearly a decade of Wenger making the same mistakes over and over to get to the point where the vitriol is almost constant. I think one of the few things people can't accuse the majority of posters on here of being is "fickle".

Anyway, we can't compare the two eras like for like as we were a very different club with very different fans back then.

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

Just had the blu ray arrive from Amazon. Can’t wait to re-live my youth watching Mickey T do his thing

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

wibble wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:15 pm
If you had said "got it for Xmas but FORGOT to watch it" you would have been in with a chance.

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

Watched this yesterday and can’t say I was blown away. Not many highlights or goals from the season, the GG speech was actually after the fight at Man U rather than before the Victims F.C. match and wtf was with the dedication to the Scouse 96 at the end?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Kingralph wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:33 pm
Watched this yesterday and can’t say I was blown away. Not many highlights or goals from the season, the GG speech was actually after the fight at Man U rather than before the Victims F.C. match and wtf was with the dedication to the Scouse 96 at the end?
I was too slightly disappointed with it, mainly due to having not enough different footage that I hadn't seen - all the match footage is already out there and the dressing room scenes would have been better had they lasted longer than 10 seconds. Nice to see the likes of Lukic being interviewed as hardly seen him since he left.
Nice to see the town hall trophy lift etc included as that was all part of a great weekend. :barscarf:

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Not seen it yet but it's on it's way on Blu ray. Will be watching it next Saturday evening and loving it.