As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: 89

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:23 am
JoshIM2150 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:21 am
Trailer looks great. I've always heard highly on this event!

Would love to dive into more of AFC's historic past
Could be the biggest understatement you will read on this forum! :coffeespit: :D
For anyone who was alive at the time, this was the greatest Arsenal moment ever.
Amen too. 8) Even The Invincibles (which was amazing) doesn't come close to Anfield 89 for me. 8)

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:29 pm
NickF wrote:
JoshIM2150 wrote:

Could be the biggest understatement you will read on this forum! :coffeespit: :D
For anyone who was alive at the time, this was the greatest Arsenal moment ever.
Amen too. 8) Even The Invincibles (which was amazing) doesn't come close to Anfield 89 for me. 8)
its funny but I will always associate the Invincibles season with a failure - the CL league loss to Chelsea.
that was the year we should have become the first London team to win the CL. it is ironic that Chelsea beat us to that record.

JoshIM2150

Post by JoshIM2150 »

Haha reading all of the above just gave me the chills.

Great to read some positive posts on here for a change :wink:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
NickF wrote:
JoshIM2150 wrote:

So true!
We according to the Fake News had no chance, a draw or 1 goal defeat (have I got that one right as the working out of goal averages/difference may have been different then) would still see the scallies win the league...
Then as Thomas skipped towards goal, time stood still!.....
Fucking luv it! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:03 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
NickF wrote:
JoshIM2150 wrote:

So true!
We according to the Fake News had no chance, a draw or 1 goal defeat (have I got that one right as the working out of goal averages/difference may have been different then) would still see the scallies win the league...
We had to win by two clear goals to match their goal difference and win the league on goals scored. Even a 1-0 win for us was not enough. They were 3 points ahead with a goal difference of +39 against our +35. Two nil win meant equal on points and goal difference but we then won it because we scored more goals. It'll never come down to the wire like that again despite how SlySports try to big up Citeh's last day PL win... :roll:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:54 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
NickF wrote:
JoshIM2150 wrote:

So true!
We had to win by two clear goals to match their goal difference and win the league on goals scored. Even a 1-0 win for us was not enough. They were 3 points ahead with a goal difference of +39 against our +35. Two nil win meant equal on points and goal difference but we then won it because we scored more goals. It'll never come down to the wire like that again despite how SlySports try to big up Citeh's last day PL win... :roll:
:

Let's see, nah they had +37.....And we ended up with +37, goals scored won the day, think smudger was top scorer with 22.
Nice to look at it again :barscarf:
P GD Home Away
W D L F A W D L F A
1 Arsenal 38 76 +37 10 6 3 35 19 12 4 3 38 17
2 Liverpool. 38 76 +37 11 5 3 33 11 11 5 3 32 17

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:36 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
NickF wrote:

So true!
:

Let's see, nah they had +37.....And we ended up with +37, goals scored won the day, think smudger was top scorer with 22.
P GD Home Away
W D L F A W D L F A
Which bit are you saying "nah" to? You've lost me there... :rubchin: I'm talking about before the game when I say they had +39 and we had +35. Our two goals made it equal on +37. The next bit of your post actually reads like you are agreeing with me. :lol:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:43 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:36 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

So true!
:

P GD Home Away
W D L F A W D L F A
Which bit are you saying "nah" to? You've lost me there... :rubchin: I'm talking about before the game when I say they had +39 and we had +35. Our two goals made it equal on +37. The next bit of your post actually reads like you are agreeing with me. :lol:
All clear....

As mud....
Explain the offside law!... :lol: :wink:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:28 pm
flash gunner wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:02 pm
NickF wrote:
JoshIM2150 wrote:

maybe the best moment of their life not just Arsenal related
Amen. 8)

I remember seeing a documentary on 89 a few years ago and Alan Davies said something like "Anfield 89 changed my life, maybe even saved my life". Now obviously he wasn't being literal but I kinda felt the same at the time. It was a real crossroads moment in our history. It had looked like we would blow our best chance of winning the title in 18 years, the poxy media were already hinting that the rot had set in and GG was going to leave or be sacked or break the team up etc etc and I think there was a certain quiet but real fear among many Gooners that we were heading back down that long dark tunnel to mid table sleeping giant mode again... :|

And then that one magical night changed all of it. :barscarf: 8)

Y'know, thinking back to it all, it strikes me how much a part of my life The Arsenal were at the time, how obsessed with, and in love with, the club I was. And it saddens and shocks me to realise how I no longer even feel fully connected to the club and that my obsessive love for everything Arsenal has been withered away by the last 10 year of Kim Jong-Wenger's reign... :( :|
Same with me
Arsenal were the most important thing in my life back then, no question they came first over friends and family
( no wife (ex now) or kids back then.
I remember exactly where I was that night - row 2 of the Anfield Road stand :barscarf: :barscarf:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

They wanted to interview some of the fans but found wading through the 50,000 Arsenal fans who were there was all too much :lol: :wink: :barscarf:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

I remember a bloke, aggressive dickhead who I dint particularly like, spouting some rubbish in our local pub about Arsenal only winning "that auld league" whereas "Liverpool had won the championship (FA Cup)" ..
I was working that night but took an extended break and went to a pub....I went in and asked a bloke who was what was the score ? He replied " 1-0"..." to who?" I asked..." the others" he replied..
What a story...great story about Jamie Carragher as a child helping his dad and uncle ( Evertonians) write Arsenal and anti Liverpool slogans on walls etc..May be an urban myth but still a a nice one to tell all the misty eyed Liverpool fans that spout clichés about all their local players growing up on the Kop...

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

What is the reaction from Liverpool over this.? Remember some of their fans moaning about Arsenal's 20th anniversary commerative away shirt in 08/09...The said it was insensitive to the victims of Hillsborough..

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:08 am
What is the reaction from Liverpool over this.? Remember some of their fans moaning about Arsenal's 20th anniversary commerative away shirt in 08/09...The said it was insensitive to the victims of Hillsborough..
Everything is. :roll:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:04 am
I remember a bloke, aggressive dickhead who I dint particularly like, spouting some rubbish in our local pub about Arsenal only winning "that auld league" whereas "Liverpool had won the championship (FA Cup)" ..
I was working that night but took an extended break and went to a pub....I went in and asked a bloke who was what was the score ? He replied " 1-0"..." to who?" I asked..." the others" he replied..
What a story...great story about Jamie Carragher as a child helping his dad and uncle ( Evertonians) write Arsenal and anti Liverpool slogans on walls etc..May be an urban myth but still a a nice one to tell all the misty eyed Liverpool fans that spout clichés about all their local players growing up on the Kop...
I went to Anfield in '91 too when Merson scored and we won 1-0 pretty much giving us the championship and we got the bus back to the station loads of Everton fans came out of their houses and clapped us through the streets :D :barscarf:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Great thread. Very much looking forward to watching this.

When I talk about this now with other Arsenal fans who saw it I always ask them what they thing the best moment was. Everyone says Thomas' goal of course ... but really I think the final whistle was an even sweeter moment because that meant it was over :barscarf: That Liverpool team were the sort of sneaky bastards that could have made it 2-1 with a dodgy penalty or some lucky deflection so although I celebrated the goal like a lunatic ... I was then frozen with fear for another minute or so before going back into lunatic mode for the next several hours when the final whistle blew.

On another note I hope with this film that we get to see some footage that has never been seen before. I know there weren't 50 cameras in the ground back then but ITV must have some different camera angles they can release showing the different reaction of fans and players (of both sides) for the goal and final whistle. Annoys me they focused on Dalglish's gormless face. And I cant believe they stopped the cameras rolling after their programme ended.

Such a pity the lap of honour wasnt filmed (I've not even seen photos of it) but compared to the lack of coverage of the 1971 WHL game, I cant really complain too much. Winning the title on a Friday night. At Anfield. With a last minute goal. It does not and cannot get better than that :barscarf: