As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
g60gooner

Re: 89

Post by g60gooner »

Interview with GG, about 'that game', and The Arsenal of today. You just know he wants to let rip and say more. God I love this guy, even if he did manage the scum.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -interview

NickF

Post by NickF »

Great article, thanks for posting. It also talks about "modern Arsenal".
Graham has been invited to watch Arsenal play Tottenham a week on Saturday. He will be in an Arsenal box but his disillusionment with the club’s stagnation is obvious when I ask if he followed the recent farcical AGM where the chairman Sir Chips Keswick refused to answer questions about Stan Kroenke’s ownership or future strategies.

“I don’t bother because nothing changes. What’s the point? There’s no board at Arsenal. There are questions they’re obviously not going to answer. I heard [chief executive Ivan] Gazidis say they were over-performing. Over-performing?” Graham snorts in disbelief.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

g60gooner wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:13 pm
Interview with GG, about 'that game', and The Arsenal of today. You just know he wants to let rip and say more. God I love this guy, even if he did manage the scum.

as time goes on only Herbert Chapman can rival George Graham for the title of Arsenal's greatest manager.

Wenger will go down in history as the manager who destroyed Arsenal, whilst having a decent few years to start with.

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:28 am
g60gooner wrote:

as time goes on only Herbert Chapman can rival George Graham for the title of Arsenal's greatest manager.

Wenger will go down in history as the manager who destroyed Arsenal, whilst having a decent few years to start with.
George Graham all day long.
I was lucky enough to be at Anfield that night, sat behind that goal. Best night by a country mile in all my Arsenal supporting years.
He gave us 1 of our only 2 European trophies, brought us us first trophy in 8 years, our first league title in 18 years, first team ever to win both domestic cups. 6 major trophies in 8 years.
Don't tell me Wenger is our greatest manager.

brucers

Post by brucers »

I'll probably keep my eyes on any crowd scenes....to see if I'm in it!

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

g60gooner wrote:

Thanks for posting that mate. Brilliant read. I will always, always love George Graham - took a sleeping giant back to the top, gave us back our pride, left under a cloud but had laid the foundations for more success. Definitely my best years following Arsenal.

I love what George says about Wenger "He's been good for English football . . . . . . ." Which is a polite way of saying he's past it :lol:

This is our club!

Post by This is our club! »

Saw this and felt compelled to post, Georgie Graham’s Red and White Army, my formative years wen I was able to go on my own. Loved him and the team, 89, the greatest footballing night of my life, never to be bettered. In my opinion this felt better to me than the invincibles. Looking back, still feel more for Graham than Wenger. I detest Wenger now, totally tarnished.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:51 am
Still the greatest moment ever. And NOTHING will ever match it or even come close. :barscarf: 8)

Had to catch an early morning taxi to the airport last week and the driver had talkshyte on - And those 2 inbred *word censored*.s one a FATDRUNKSLOB the Other a CRIMCUNT - brazil & barton - were trying to make out that the Aguero goal against QPR was as 'definitive' in the history of football.

There will NEVER EVER be another 'It's Up For Grabs Now' moment EVER Ever....ever!

They were also comparing the current man $hitty team and unbeaten run to The Invincibles..

What a pair of brainless, talentless CUNNTTTSSSS!

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:34 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Still the greatest moment ever. And NOTHING will ever match it or even come close. :barscarf: 8)

Had to catch an early morning taxi to the airport last week and the driver had talkshyte on - And those 2 inbred *word censored*.s one a FATDRUNKSLOB the Other a CRIMCUNT - brazil & barton - were trying to make out that the Aguero goal against QPR was as 'definitive' in the history of football.

There will NEVER EVER be another 'It's Up For Grabs Now' moment EVER Ever....ever!

They were also comparing the current man $hitty team and unbeaten run to The Invincibles..

The only thing vaguely comparable was united's European Cup final in '99. They must have felt very similar to us in '89

city QPR is nowhere near :x

Clash

Post by Clash »

flash gunner wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:20 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:34 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

The only thing vaguely comparable was united's European Cup final in '99. They must have felt very similar to us in '89

city QPR is nowhere near :x
Agreed about the City game. I've heard people make the case that it was more dramatic because they needed 2 injury time goals. But people forget 10 man relegation threatened QPR relaxed after learning they were safe. We were playing a team fighting for the same thing we were. As you say mate, nowhere near.

Man United also needed 2 late goals but even that doesnt compare really. Thomas' goal was the difference between us and our opponents on the same pitch winning or losing. In contrast, Solskjaer's goal was the difference between Man United winning or extra time ... which would maybe be followed by penalties ... meaning either United or Bayern could still have won it. Dramatic yes but again not anywhere near as crucial.

Clash

Post by Clash »

g60gooner wrote:

To repeat what others have said, thanks for posting this. Great interview.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Football hadn't been invented in 89 so the city goal wins.

:barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:28 am
g60gooner wrote:

He won't though, mate. History, the media, and most people in the game will remember him as the "visionary" that built modern Arsenal, that changed our style, made us a world known name, that revolutionised our aprzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... :yawn: :roll:

To us the genuine Arsenal supporters that have supported the club all our lives he will go down as the man that helped Wiggy and the Board ruin the once proud and storied Arsenal Football Club and turned it into a business. :censored: :x

GTG

Post by GTG »

Amazing read. Really looking forward to watching this.

I often say to the mrs "god I wish I was old enough to be watching football back then".

It was about 5 years later that I started going a young lad to watch football and the difference between then and now is just unbelievable.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

https://www.ourscreen.com/film/89

For me it is the Greatest moment in Football (and Sporting) History. End Of.