As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
xisstential

Re: 89

Post by xisstential »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... newcomment

Makes my blood boil...seriously!!

Wenger probably discouraged it, how he must hate that, probably convinced himself it never really happened.

Chips and Chocolate

Post by Chips and Chocolate »

Morning everyone,

Bit of a strange request but I don't suppose anyone has got one or two spares for the screening at Crouch End Picturehouse this Saturday? Left it too late to book and there were only three left for our group :?

Thanks!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Should have been obligatory viewing for all teams especially the youth ones . Wouldn't expect the ""superstars "" to go because as far as their reactions to the supporters go we know their shit don't stink.

worthing_gooner

Post by worthing_gooner »

Watched this last night and I must admit I was well impressed. It's beautifully made, not just covering the footballing side, but cleverly integrating some of the culture of the late 80s with loads of footage from the era, very nostalgic! It's not Arsenal propaganda in any sense of the word, Liverpool were given fair dues as the team to beat at that time and the film includes clips from both sides in the run up to that final game at Anfield, plus of course respectful and sombre coverage of Hillsborough.

What was most telling but probably least surprising is the fact that these guys were absolute winners but ultimately very much in touch with the fans at the time. The current crop of players wouldn't be fit to lace their boots and if you'll be hard pressed to find anything that illustrates the change in football culture since the Premier League cash cow was invented. No bells and whistles, just proper football. It's a great watch!

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

worthing_gooner wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:16 pm
Watched this last night and I must admit I was well impressed. It's beautifully made, not just covering the footballing side, but cleverly integrating some of the culture of the late 80s with loads of footage from the era, very nostalgic! It's not Arsenal propaganda in any sense of the word, Liverpool were given fair dues as the team to beat at that time and the film includes clips from both sides in the run up to that final game at Anfield, plus of course respectful and sombre coverage of Hillsborough.

What was most telling but probably least surprising is the fact that these guys were absolute winners but ultimately very much in touch with the fans at the time. The current crop of players wouldn't be fit to lace their boots and if you'll be hard pressed to find anything that illustrates the change in football culture since the Premier League cash cow was invented. No bells and whistles, just proper football. It's a great watch!
That summer I travelled down to HMV in oxford street for the video (ask your parents kids) launch, where George, Tony, Rocky and Richardson were in attendance and signing copies, all were very gracious, happy to chat to the fans - different times.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

I understand why Rocky was sold because he was carrying an injury and Leeds would pay 2 Million for him. You can argue that he had a very good final season with us and if you could turn back time wouldn't it have been better for us to have him for another couple of seasons.
What I don't know is why GG also sold Thomas to Liverpool because after they both went we played long ball and became a very successful cup team but not very competive in the Premier League.

Clash

Post by Clash »

I've had this for a couple of weeks and resisted watching it because I wanted to some family and a few mates round to watch it with first time. Took ages to get a night fixed but finally got to see it on Saturday ...

However, I will need to watch it again because once the ''wives'' or ''partners'' got wind of this planned lads get together they of course feigned interest and insisted on coming along too.

This might sound bad but my intention was to have no women there ... and for the exact reason was the fear of what did actually happen i.e. that they wouldnt just shut up and listen and instead feel the need to natter throughout. Inane comments like ''look at those shorts'', or ''who's that? '' every time a new face appeared. The worst comment was about Highbury ... 'looks a bit pathetic doesnt it'' :banghead: :banghead: And then of course during the finale the crucial subject of local parking permits came up :censored:

Anyway from what I saw it was really good and I wont say too much yet because I expect a lot of you are getting it from Christmas :)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:33 pm
I've had this for a couple of weeks and resisted watching it because I wanted to some family and a few mates round to watch it with first time. Took ages to get a night fixed but finally got to see it on Saturday ...

However, I will need to watch it again because once the ''wives'' or ''partners'' got wind of this planned lads get together they of course feigned interest and insisted on coming along too.

This might sound bad but my intention was to have no women there ... and for the exact reason was the fear of what did actually happen i.e. that they wouldnt just shut up and listen and instead feel the need to natter throughout. Inane comments like ''look at those shorts'', or ''who's that? '' every time a new face appeared. The worst comment was about Highbury ... 'looks a bit pathetic doesnt it'' :banghead: :banghead: And then of course during the finale the crucial subject of local parking permits came up :censored:

Anyway from what I saw it was really good and I wont say too much yet because I expect a lot of you are getting it from Christmas :)
:shock: :banghead:

You no throw the womans out into the yard bruh? :lol: :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Watched it, so good I watched it again. Never tire of seeing Micky Thomas's goal. The bigger the screen the more beautiful it is.
Wrighty on Rocky is incredibly moving.
Despite earlier comments on this thread Hillsborough is given a respectful mention. It was too big a news event to ignore and it was good to hear a players perspective.
As an extra I was hoping that the match and goals of the season would be on it.
I look forward to the sequel 91. Now that really was a season to savour. Two points and all that...

Blade

Post by Blade »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:07 pm
xisstential wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:41 pm
Desire...technical ability...never giving up. ... Words no longer used at AFC

Wenger has introduced...handbrake, lacking sharpness, mentally fatigued, hunger index, leetle niggle, loook, values...........

.............. special circumstances, leggy, gwate spiwit, leetul beet ............
"I belieeeveee..."

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:05 am

Wenger probably discouraged it, how he must hate that, probably convinced himself it never really happened.
Probably never knew anything about it....and not bothered

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:45 am
xisstential wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:05 am

Probably never knew anything about it....and not bothered
Wenger probably watched the clip of MT's goal and said "Loook... but why does Thomas not pass....?" :roll: :lol:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Very good film, captures the times, glorious old Highbury, the players spirit and connection with the fans.....fantastic times

Imagine the current lot after winning the title drive back to North London to have a drink with the fans at 2:00am ....

So many things come out of this film, the bond between the players, what a great manager George Graham was instilling that belief in the players

some will write off as nostalgia....but they will never really know

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

I'm looking forward to seeing this and watching good football because very little on display this year. Has the match been restored because the dvd I have is ok but very grainy and old just like myself tbh

cardinal2011

Post by cardinal2011 »

I watched this tonight for the first time with my two boys (aged 6 and 11). To be honest I was a bit worried that they would get bored and feck off upstairs half way through to play the xbox (like most kids they live & breath the EPL!!).

I thought it was fantastic. More importantly my lads loved it too! They were really interested in seeing Highbury and how 'normal' the players were. During the final bits of the match they were jumping about the sofas, shouting for The Arsenal. They were buzzing at the end. Really glad I watched it with them now. I know it is silly but it gave me a nice little boost today. Hopefully they will actually experience moments like this themselves at some point in their lives.