As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
herbert

Re: 89

Post by herbert »

Unfortunately I was one of the ten Arsenal supporters who was not there that night :cry:
But just looking at the thread title and those two numbers together 89 makes me smile :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

https://www.arsenal.com/news/89-film-ce ... ht-anfield

Perry talking mainly about the fact that George knew :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:57 am
Great thread. Very much looking forward to watching this.

When I talk about this now with other Arsenal fans who saw it I always ask them what they thing the best moment was. Everyone says Thomas' goal of course ... but really I think the final whistle was an even sweeter moment because that meant it was over :barscarf: That Liverpool team were the sort of sneaky bastards that could have made it 2-1 with a dodgy penalty or some lucky deflection so although I celebrated the goal like a lunatic ... I was then frozen with fear for another minute or so before going back into lunatic mode for the next several hours when the final whistle blew.

On another note I hope with this film that we get to see some footage that has never been seen before. I know there weren't 50 cameras in the ground back then but ITV must have some different camera angles they can release showing the different reaction of fans and players (of both sides) for the goal and final whistle. Annoys me they focused on Dalglish's gormless face. And I cant believe they stopped the cameras rolling after their programme ended.

Such a pity the lap of honour wasnt filmed (I've not even seen photos of it) but compared to the lack of coverage of the 1971 WHL game, I cant really complain too much. Winning the title on a Friday night. At Anfield. With a last minute goal. It does not and cannot get better than that :barscarf:
I’ve seen some photos from inside the dressing room afterwards, would love to see any footage that might exist.
I’m pretty sure Paul Davis was filming the parade celebration on his own recorder, that would make some great viewing too (although it might be 91 title ) Hard to remember when you win titles every other season.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Just as good as it gets as an Arsenal fan,the drama the circumstances unreal.

Walking out of Highbury after the 2-2 v Wimbledon after also losing to Derby 2-1 at home I felt as many did fuck me,our race is run.

I watched the game in TWO pubs with a five mates who were Arsenal fans and a mate that supports Liverpool...match going fans as well at the time all of us home and away...and yes my mate was at the semi-final in the leppings lane end.

Well going out that afternoon we all met up early singing Arsenal songs and just hoping just to win the game.

First half I have never felt as tense only our CL final has matched it since,sweating buckets,nervous and kicking every ball.

Smith scoring after a stalemate that GG imo would be his ideal gameplan make Liverpool nervous in what to do,it did....well the pub erupted,jumping around like mad a Friday night in the late 80's my mate fell into the standing jukebox which someone stopped from falling over ...pub landlord wasn't best happy,he was a sweaty sock with a soft spot for Liverpool,told us to leave...my mate the scouse one worked part time there told him to 'fuck off'even though he was gutted at going behind .Got sacked on the spot.

All ran down to another pub missed 5 mins or so and as it developed,just wanted that one more chance.

MT of course had a chance and we all thought to a man it was gone.

Well you all know how it panned out.Steve 'One minute' McMahon giving it,John Barnes sly slap of the hand to John Aldridge who was a total prick in rubbing the head of the Forest player that scored an own goal in the semi final replay all classless *word censored* .

David O'Leary went up to Aldridge and was looking to console him after the game got told to 'fuck off; karma...I loved it watching it back the next day.

Mickey T,ran through and kept his nerve,any Arsenal fan younger posters unreal,will I ever get that feeling again,I doubt don't know but what a special night.

What a weekend,walking on air couldn't describe it. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Looks awesome... hopefully they'll sell it in the Everton club shop just up the road from me as I can't imagine any other retailers in Liverpool stocking it.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Amazon are selling it for £19.99 DVD and £24.99 Blu Ray

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 am
oh no Amazon will be boycotted next :?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:20 am
supergeorgegraham wrote:
oh no Amazon will be boycotted next :?
Didn't you know the Heysel Stadium Tragedy was all Amazon's fault. :wink:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

this film is referred to on the Arsenal main site as "one of the greatest nights in our history" :lol:

yeah right up there with the heroic defeats to Bayern Munich and Barcelona in recent years :D

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MbCnRr3wbPg

Not belittling 89 , I hit my head on ceiling beam jumping out of a chair as Thomas went through but that night Highbury was unreal.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

herbert wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:36 pm
Unfortunately I was one of the ten Arsenal supporters who was not there that night :cry:
But just looking at the thread title and those two numbers together 89 makes me smile :barscarf:
That's two of us Herbert! I honestly had no idea the away end at Anfield could fit 40,000.... :lol: :wink:

Worst thing was I really really should have been. A "mate" (and I now use that term loosely) owed me a million favours for tickets and he'd promised me one for Anfield and that cúnt let me down badly. :censored: :box: :censored:

Watched it in a hotel bar in Dublin surrounded by a stag party from Liverpool who thank God were actually all victims fans so the banter and piss take, especially afterwards, were superb. :lol: 8)

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

The match was rearranged due to Hillsborough, we were due to play them in April. I was on holiday when the first game was to be played so didnt get a ticket and then was told only people who had a ticket for the first game would be allowed on this night...... So unfortunately in the times that i went all over the country to watch Arsenal i didnt go either :cry:

It worked out ok in the end, watched it at home with my Arsenal supporting dad who has now passed away so shared an extra special moment with him, so glad i did :)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

supergeorgegraham wrote:

It's a steal at that price apparently - Well everything is a steal in scouse land isn't it. :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:09 am
herbert wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:36 pm
That's two of us Herbert! I honestly had no idea the away end at Anfield could fit 40,000.... :lol: :wink:

Worst thing was I really really should have been. A "mate" (and I now use that term loosely) owed me a million favours for tickets and he'd promised me one for Anfield and that cúnt let me down badly. :censored: :box: :censored:

Watched it in a hotel bar in Dublin surrounded by a stag party from Liverpool who thank God were actually all victims fans so the banter and piss take, especially afterwards, were superb. :lol: 8)
I always wondered why you hated The Spudster Goat Molester so much! :? :wink:

herbert

Post by herbert »

flash gunner wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:50 am
The match was rearranged due to Hillsborough, we were due to play them in April. I was on holiday when the first game was to be played so didnt get a ticket and then was told only people who had a ticket for the first game would be allowed on this night...... So unfortunately in the times that i went all over the country to watch Arsenal i didnt go either :cry:

It worked out ok in the end, watched it at home with my Arsenal supporting dad who has now passed away so shared an extra special moment with him, so glad i did :)
I watched it with my dad to and if I could go back in time :rubchin: I would be of up to Liverpool the day before to beat the crowds and the m6 roadworks and more chance of a ticket :barscarf: oh and I would take my dad with me :lol: