As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bradywasking

Re: 89

Post by Bradywasking »

cardinal2011 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:09 am
I watched this tonight for the first time with my two boys (aged 6 and 11). To be honest I was a bit worried that they would get bored and feck off upstairs half way through to play the xbox (like most kids they live & breath the EPL!!).

I thought it was fantastic. More importantly my lads loved it too! They were really interested in seeing Highbury and how 'normal' the players were. During the final bits of the match they were jumping about the sofas, shouting for The Arsenal. They were buzzing at the end. Really glad I watched it with them now. I know it is silly but it gave me a nice little boost today. Hopefully they will actually experience moments like this themselves at some point in their lives.

No it's not silly that you got a boost from watching this with your boys. When posters on this forum talk about their children following Arsenal I always encourage it.
Your lads will understand Arsenal and what it means more from watching that film than one hundred live games on Sky or BT Sport.
I haven't seen the film yet but I know I will be receiving the DVD on Christmas day. With the exception possibly of Jack Wilshere there doesn't seem to me that we currently have one player that understands what being an Arsenal player is or should be. Yes they have (limited)ability but no character . I think playing in the Emirates doesn't help, the lack of accountability from the top doesn't help either. There are players who played for Arsenal and there are Arsenal players. Currently we have players playing for Arsenal back then and up to 2006 /08 we had Arsenal players..Posted this before but I will again. Dublin Evening Press Saturday May 27th 1989 highly respected journalist Con Houlihan wrote " The Liverpool fanatics were on the Kop, the Arsenal ones were on the pitch "...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:17 am
cardinal2011 wrote:
I watched this tonight for the first time with my two boys (aged 6 and 11). To be honest I was a bit worried that they would get bored and feck off upstairs half way through to play the xbox (like most kids they live & breath the EPL!!).

I thought it was fantastic. More importantly my lads loved it too! They were really interested in seeing Highbury and how 'normal' the players were. During the final bits of the match they were jumping about the sofas, shouting for The Arsenal. They were buzzing at the end. Really glad I watched it with them now. I know it is silly but it gave me a nice little boost today. Hopefully they will actually experience moments like this themselves at some point in their lives.

No it's not silly that you got a boost from watching this with your boys. When posters on this forum talk about their children following Arsenal I always encourage it.
Your lads will understand Arsenal and what it means more from watching that film than one hundred live games on Sky or BT Sport.
I haven't seen the film yet but I know I will be receiving the DVD on Christmas day. With the exception possibly of Jack Wilshere there doesn't seem to me that we currently have one player that understands what being an Arsenal player is or should be. Yes they have (limited)ability but no character . I think playing in the Emirates doesn't help, the lack of accountability from the top doesn't help either. There are players who played for Arsenal and there are Arsenal players. Currently we have players playing for Arsenal back then and up to 2006 /08 we had Arsenal players..Posted this before but I will again. Dublin Evening Press Saturday May 27th 1989 highly respected journalist Con Houlihan wrote " The Liverpool fanatics were on the Kop, the Arsenal ones were on the pitch "...
Will also be sitting down to watch this on Xmas day - and with my son (and probably my wife and daughter too). They know what it means to me. 8)

I remember that Con Houlihan line - never a truer word spoken. 8)

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Some vivid memories flashing back....

Rocky pumping his fist urging on his team mates

The Liverpool players surrounding the ref and then making him go to the linesman, deliberating for what seemed an eternity...until he eventually gave the goal

Steve McMahon putting up one finger to show 1 minute left

Shouting at Mickey Thomas to shoot, with Liverpool players closing in on both sides...he delayed until the very last second.....then chipped over Grobelar.....fucking magic......

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

cardinal2011 wrote:

It’s moments like that which live with you for the rest of your life - When I were a lad I used to read about the famous double team etc and wished I had been able to have seen them.......I’ve now seen better, Anfield 89, The title in 91, Copenhagen 94, Double in 98, A league season unbeaten.

:barscarf:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Watch last night. Really really enjoyed it and it brought back a lot of childhood memories.

The ITV intro for the football was :barscarf:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I insisted we watch it after lunch rather than the usual Disney crap. After 20 minutes my wife wandered off to do the washing up (Result!) and then my daughter gradually slumped from vertical to horizontal as she instasnapgramed her friends.

Reliving the memories was fantastic and the new footage was cool, but, as a work of film, I thought it was pretty average. To have no participation from LFC was a glaring hole and to only have the views of a couple of celebrity fans was disappointing. I would have liked to hear from true fans of both clubs before, during and after the match. It would have been good to her from neutral players as well.

Also, I don't think the mood of the fans was conveyed well enough. The players were all "we were winners, we never gave up etc ", but I remember leaving the ground after the Wimbledon game and it was like a funeral. One point at home from two home games against poor sides felt like the end of the world.

However, the end result was the same, and the emotions came flooding back. Seeing Wrighty in tears set me off as well.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:00 am
I insisted we watch it after lunch rather than the usual Disney crap. After 20 minutes my wife wandered off to do the washing up (Result!) and then my daughter gradually slumped from vertical to horizontal as she instasnapgramed her friends.

Reliving the memories was fantastic and the new footage was cool, but, as a work of film, I thought it was pretty average. To have no participation from LFC was a glaring hole and to only have the views of a couple of celebrity fans was disappointing. I would have liked to hear from true fans of both clubs before, during and after the match. It would have been good to her from neutral players as well.

Also, I don't think the mood of the fans was conveyed well enough. The players were all "we were winners, we never gave up etc ", but I remember leaving the ground after the Wimbledon game and it was like a funeral. One point at home from two home games against poor sides felt like the end of the world.

However, the end result was the same, and the emotions came flooding back. Seeing Wrighty in tears set me off as well.
Yes remember the feeling after those 2 home games, was it Wimbledon and Derby? might be wrong.....

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Redarmy wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:23 pm
GranadaJoe wrote:

Yes remember the feeling after those 2 home games, was it Wimbledon and Derby? might be wrong.....
No you are quite correct, we lost 1-2 to a Dean Saunders inspired Derby and drew 2-2 v the dons despite Nigel scoring a right foot rocket.

From having the title in the bag, we had thrown it away........ but wait a moment, there is still another game to play :barscarf:

“You haven’t got a prayer Arsenal” back page of one rag.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:

Agreed 100%. I enjoyed it because of what it tells, not how it tells it. But then Amy Lawrence fucking ruined Romford's biography so I should have expected anything she was involved with to be a touch amateurish tbh. Why they had TH14 on it is beyond me. Would have liked more interviews with genuine fans rather than "celebrity" bandwagon jumpers. It brought back great memories and the goosebumps were out as Thomas delayed that shot, and the new touchline footage was great, but it was not very well made at all... :|

I too remember after the Dons game and EVERY single Gooner thought we had fucked it and anyone (except GG) that says they didn't is either a liar or wasn't there. :lol:

beck

Post by beck »

I was there
I thought it had gone
But thank god there was no social media to go on and declare everything as shit
I never wrote off arsenal for pulling anything out the bag
That is a culture Wenger has engendered
He ain't having me

g60gooner

Post by g60gooner »

Just bought a copy on blu-ray. I wanted a nice reminder of what it was once like to support one of the greatest clubs in history.
I was 13 at the time and just remember being proud to support 'The Arsenal'. Great, down to earth, genuine and likeable players, great manager, amazing fans and a world famous ground with character. :barscarf:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

g60gooner wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:38 pm
Just bought a copy on blu-ray. I wanted a nice reminder of what it was once like to support one of the greatest clubs in history.
I was 13 at the time and just remember being proud to support 'The Arsenal'. Great, down to earth, genuine and likeable players, great manager, amazing fans and a world famous ground with character. :barscarf:
Those were the days. :barscarf:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Just got to watch it at last, really enjoyed it. One or two stand out moments Bould telling the others how GG told him he would make him (Bould) a defender..pass it on Stevie...and my anger at the Liverpool player's surrounding the referee and linesman after the first goal. I have seen this footage a thousand times but watching it on the DVD made my blood boil..All Liverpool players in the mix,O'Leary goes up to make his point and Nicoll,I think, pushes him away.
Maybe I am being unfair but watching it today I I,for the first time, felt the Liverpool players were using the emotion of the occasion to emotionally blackmail the officials..as I said maybe I am being unfair on them.
Great scenes at the end obviously , what a time to be an Arsenal fan.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

One thing it really brought back to me is how I could sit and listen to GG talk about The Arsenal (and football in general) for hours on end. 8)

GG has more charisma in his fingertip than any of the attention whore (Klopp, Conte) tosser (Moron-hio) snide (Wenger) and boarish (Fat Sam The Piedeophile) modern managers could ever hope to have. :roll: :censored:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:35 pm
One thing it really brought back to me is how I could sit and listen to GG talk about The Arsenal (and football in general) for hours on end. 8)

GG has more charisma in his fingertip than any of the attention whore (Klopp, Conte) tosser (Moron-hio) snide (Wenger) and boarish (Fat Sam The Piedeophile) modern managers could ever hope to have. :roll: :censored:
Completely agree.

George was able to get instructions on to the field and celebrate goals without acting like a coked-up twat.

:barscarf: