Shakespeare Sacked..

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Shakespeare Sacked..

Post by Clash »

Agree with the back-stabbing bastard comments! The fat prick can now safely return to the nonentity he always has been now instead of basking in Ranieri's glory.

Also agree with the overatted playwright thing flash mentioned.

One of the many things I hate is when you tell someome you dont like Shakespeare they very patronisingly let you know that its because you dont understand it. Apparently its not possible to be intelligent and to not like Shakespeare. Its like food snobs. Even thought beans on toast tastes far better than most of the fancy overpriced meals you get served up at many upmarket places you're only revealing your own ignorance by claiming it is overatted. I worked with a bloke once who went to see Moulin Rouge on his own ... probably just so he could tell people he'd seen it. He told me it nicely that ''it wouldnt be your cup of tea''. He also let everybody know when he'd had evening out at the Globe Theatre for some 3 hour Shakespeare play. Shakespearean culture gets on my nerves. People may well say I lack the vocabulary to express my thoughts without resorting to abuse and swearing. You know what I say to these people? I tell them to fuck off!

NickF

Post by NickF »

Clash wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 am

One of the many things I hate is when you tell someome you dont like Shakespeare they very patronisingly let you know that its because you dont understand it. Apparently its not possible to be intelligent and to not like Shakespeare. Its like food snobs.
I really enjoy watching Shakespeare at The Globe during the summer and for a fiver it is probably the best value in London. You are right though there is a lot of snobbery about it. In the last few years there has been a lot of problems at The Globe because the producer dare to do modern adaptations of the plays. There are a lot of people that seem to think Shakespeare should only be done in doublet and hose as that was how it was done in Shakespeares time (leaving aside that that was the fashion of the day).

As for your other point, I love eating outing at michelin-star restaurants so maybe I'm a food snob as well. :D

At the end of the day, if you prefer beans on toast to grouse or don't like Shakespeare, who am I to argue.

augie

Post by augie »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:18 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:20 am
xisstential wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:02 am
augie wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:14 pm
Rugby Gooner wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:38 pm
Et tu Brute. :barscarf:
The :censored: deserved it after stabbing Ranieri in the back.A few of the players should also be put to the metaphorical sword as well.

Absolutely - the fat w**ker has spent the last 12 months strutting around like he was the best manager in the world, but the reality is that he took over a successful squad put together by ranieri and steve walsh but who had started to think that they were better than they actually are 8)
Kinda like what Wenger did, except Wenger had a lot of genuine world class players and a lot more money, opportunities & resources to keep his illusionary status going for another decade.....and beyond.
Just a tad revisionist there, mate. Wenger inherited one genuine world class player, Bergkamp. Yes he inherited a very very good back 5 that laid the basic foundation for his early success, but let's be honest, none of them were genuine world class. He brought in the genuine world class talents of Overmars, Vieira, Pires and Henry and the top class talents of Freddie, Petit, Campbell, Edu and Gilberto etc.
That back five were world class as a unit and TONY ADAMS was definitely world class in his own right without a shadow of a doubt :wink:

Absolutely agree 100% - our back 4 might not have been world class footballers, but there were 100% world class defenders ad I would argue that world football hasn't seen as good a defence since those days (the ac milan backline marshalled by baresi might be close, but still not AS GOOD imo). Keepers are judged on saves and presence when deciding if they are world class, but it seems that all outfield players are judged on the one criteria and as such are expected to have massive skill and vision to be viewed as world class, which is why the van dijk's of this world are (in my opinion at least) being valued way above their defensive abilities

Clash

Post by Clash »

NickF wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:13 am
Clash wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 am

One of the many things I hate is when you tell someome you dont like Shakespeare they very patronisingly let you know that its because you dont understand it. Apparently its not possible to be intelligent and to not like Shakespeare. Its like food snobs.
I really enjoy watching Shakespeare at The Globe during the summer and for a fiver it is probably the best value in London. You are right though there is a lot of snobbery about it. In the last few years there has been a lot of problems at The Globe because the producer dare to do modern adaptations of the plays. There are a lot of people that seem to think Shakespeare should only be done in doublet and hose as that was how it was done in Shakespeares time (leaving aside that that was the fashion of the day).

As for your other point, I love eating outing at michelin-star restaurants so maybe I'm a food snob as well. :D

At the end of the day, if you prefer beans on toast to grouse or don't like Shakespeare, who am I to argue.
Admittedly I was exaggerating the beans on toast thing :D ... but I'm not meaning to knock things other people enjoy. If your enjoyment is genuine, which it is, then that's great. And its refreshing to hear someone who likes Shakespeare not try and educate someone who doesnt.

Its more the people who feign enjoyment of the stuff that they think will show they have good taste that annoy me. Plenty of those around. Probably a few in the Emirates these days :roll:

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

Just a tad revisionist there, mate. Wenger inherited one genuine world class player, Bergkamp. Yes he inherited a very very good back 5 that laid the basic foundation for his early success, but let's be honest, none of them were genuine world class. He brought in the genuine world class talents of Overmars, Vieira, Pires and Henry and the top class talents of Freddie, Petit, Campbell, Edu and Gilberto etc.
That back five were world class as a unit and TONY ADAMS was definitely world class in his own right without a shadow of a doubt :wink:

Absolutely agree 100% - our back 4 might not have been world class footballers, but there were 100% world class defenders ad I would argue that world football hasn't seen as good a defence since those days (the ac milan backline marshalled by baresi might be close, but still not AS GOOD imo). Keepers are judged on saves and presence when deciding if they are world class, but it seems that all outfield players are judged on the one criteria and as such are expected to have massive skill and vision to be viewed as world class, which is why the van dijk's of this world are (in my opinion at least) being valued way above their defensive abilities
Making the disticntion betweeen a world class footballer and a world class defender is interesting. Is there an argument to say that if you are a world class footballer then you are not at the back playing in defence? Paulo Maldini might blow that argument ... but I prefer the term 'world class' to be reserved for a select few and usually defenders are not in that elite.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Clash wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:36 am
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Making the disticntion betweeen a world class footballer and a world class defender is interesting. Is there an argument to say that if you are a world class footballer then you are not at the back playing in defence? Paulo Maldini might blow that argument ... but I prefer the term 'world class' to be reserved for a select few and usually defenders are not in that elite.
Wenger undoubtedly brought in some terrific players as, for one reason or another, he was tapped into that French market. But his success was built on that back 5.

A lot of our problems after The Invincibles stemmed from the fact that he thought we didn't need a defensive midfielder, never bothered to replace Viera and never found a decent, coherent back 4. Our defence these days is comical at times.

I don't care how good you are going forward, if you cannot defend, you are going to get found out. Just look at Liverpool....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
xisstential wrote:
augie wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:14 pm

Absolutely - the fat w**ker has spent the last 12 months strutting around like he was the best manager in the world, but the reality is that he took over a successful squad put together by ranieri and steve walsh but who had started to think that they were better than they actually are 8)
Kinda like what Wenger did, except Wenger had a lot of genuine world class players and a lot more money, opportunities & resources to keep his illusionary status going for another decade.....and beyond.

Don't agree with either of you (which is a bonus :D :wink: ). As a unit they were superb, the best the English game has seen, as a unit, but as players (which was the criteria we were using) none of them were "genuinely world class" players. Not even TA6. No shame in that and no degradation of Adams, he was at times a top old Div 1 and then PL player, but never genuinely world class.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

I agree - but these definitions are nearly all next to useless in what is a team game.

Unless it's Bergkamp - who stands alone. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:28 pm
I agree - but these definitions are nearly all next to useless in what is a team game.

Unless it's Bergkamp - who stands alone. 8)
Amen. 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:11 pm
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
xisstential wrote:

Don't agree with either of you (which is a bonus :D :wink: ). As a unit they were superb, the best the English game has seen, as a unit, but as players (which was the criteria we were using) none of them were "genuinely world class" players. Not even TA6. No shame in that and no degradation of Adams, he was at times a top old Div 1 and then PL player, but never genuinely world class.
Well what I'm about to tell I am 100 per cent sure you've heard many times, "you're wrong" :lol:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

scfc64 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:40 am
flash gunner wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:21 am
Well over rated as a manager and a playwright

Told you the standard doesn't get any better Nut flush
He's Bard :dancingbanana:
:lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:46 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Well what I'm about to tell I am 100 per cent sure you've heard many times, "you're wrong" :lol:
Fuck! My missus has hacked Lefty's account! :shock:

:D

LeftfootlegendGooner

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:34 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:37 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT, put up those gimp photos or we are getting divorced! :worried:

LeftfootlegendGooner

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:11 am
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:37 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT, put up those gimp photos or we are getting divorced! :worried:

The ones with Spuddy in the corner of the room stroking the goat :rubchin: :lol: