A return to the 80s........the early 80s

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Step

A return to the 80s........the early 80s

Post by Step »

I may be a bit strange but I am getting a degree of warped pleasure out of our current predicament!

In the early 80s we were the classic sleeping giant slumbering along under the late great Don Howe regularly being beaten by the mighty powers of Stoke, Oxford Utd , Man City (who were a proper crap team back then due to the lack of ridiculous funding which has propelled them, like Chelski to 'big' club status even though they are merely small rich clubs).

Back in those days the wins were a real treat and away days to the likes of Villa in the League cup were mighty occasions followed by hoards of true Gooner fans.
The trouble was we were totally unpredictable. We followed a great away draw at Villa in that semi by losing the home leg when I believe a certain Paul Mariner was played at centre back (nice one Don)

It is the same now. The Manager doesn't have a clue (and hasn't done for the last 8+ years), the players lack any spirit/motivation (again Arsene's fault) with the win bonus unfortunately a thing of the past. The players pick up the bucks regardless of performance and the 'boss' doesn't have the balls to drop the non performers. A vicious circle.

Can you imagine a situation where Tony Adams and David Rocastle were dropped from an Arsenal game because England had failed to qualify for the world cup? If Sanchez and Ramsay really are that weak minded what the hell are we doing trying to hold onto them?
I don't think they are. The problem once again is Wenger . He sees things that others don't because quite frankly they don't exist.

The writing was on the wall the last day of the 2015/16 season when the Spuds blew up and the deluded home fans celebrated like we had won the league.. The management hierarchy rested on their laurels and didn't heed the obvious warning. We have got what we deserved for the short sitedness.
~I hate to say it but The Spuds are at the moment a huge cut above us. They are going in the right direction under the right manager with a determined squad. We were stagnating. now we are declining and will continue to do so under this clueless cretin.

Enjoy the wins as and when they come but don't expect more than two on the trot.

sk-gtfo

Re: A return to the 80s........the early 80s

Post by sk-gtfo »

I was born in the early 80's :lol:

I'm not sure it's the same though, the money really has corrupted the game now and it is difficult to see how we can ever get back to the top of the game without direction from the top, I'm not so sure about the "these things go in cycles" theory which may have been correct in the past, since the Russian gangster arrived at CSKA Fulham in 2003 they have since always been near the top, United likewise have not really fallen away for long, due to their massive commercial revenue, not to mention City who have £1 trillion behind them.

Spurs are punching well above their weight for now but I suspect long term they will probably end up on a similar level to us and Liverpool fighting for 4th as the burden of their new stadium restricts their ability to pay the sums the top players demand. Overall I'm just f*cking bored stupid now, the football is crap and everything is soooo predictable, maybe not from game to game but certainly from season to season.

At least in the 80's we didn't have to worry about billionaire's and their attitude basically dictating the future of your club, it might have been crap but there was always hope that a decent manager could come in, sign good players from the lower leagues etc. and you could rise to the top, it just feels like now unless you have A. a billionaire (many x over) and B. one that actually wants to win on the field, if you don't have both of these you are also rans and can forget any hope of winning the title/cl barring a massive fluke (Leicester).

:censored:

General

Post by General »

Step wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 pm
I may be a bit strange but I am getting a degree of warped pleasure out of our current predicament!

In the early 80s we were the classic sleeping giant slumbering along under the late great Don Howe regularly being beaten by the mighty powers of Stoke, Oxford Utd , Man City (who were a proper crap team back then due to the lack of ridiculous funding which has propelled them, like Chelski to 'big' club status even though they are merely small rich clubs).

Back in those days the wins were a real treat and away days to the likes of Villa in the League cup were mighty occasions followed by hoards of true Gooner fans.
The trouble was we were totally unpredictable. We followed a great away draw at Villa in that semi by losing the home leg when I believe a certain Paul Mariner was played at centre back (nice one Don)

It is the same now. The Manager doesn't have a clue (and hasn't done for the last 8+ years), the players lack any spirit/motivation (again Arsene's fault) with the win bonus unfortunately a thing of the past. The players pick up the bucks regardless of performance and the 'boss' doesn't have the balls to drop the non performers. A vicious circle.

Can you imagine a situation where Tony Adams and David Rocastle were dropped from an Arsenal game because England had failed to qualify for the world cup? If Sanchez and Ramsay really are that weak minded what the hell are we doing trying to hold onto them?
I don't think they are. The problem once again is Wenger . He sees things that others don't because quite frankly they don't exist.

The writing was on the wall the last day of the 2015/16 season when the Spuds blew up and the deluded home fans celebrated like we had won the league.. The management hierarchy rested on their laurels and didn't heed the obvious warning. We have got what we deserved for the short sitedness.
~I hate to say it but The Spuds are at the moment a huge cut above us. They are going in the right direction under the right manager with a determined squad. We were stagnating. now we are declining and will continue to do so under this clueless cretin.

Enjoy the wins as and when they come but don't expect more than two on the trot.
So in a summary Wenger the fuck out.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Step wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 pm

Not having a pop at you Step but mate you were doing brilliantly right up until the bit in red. I posted this on the Red Star thread, works here too. :lol:

Fuck all this "they are a superb team with a superb manager" horseshit some supposed Gooners are posting on here. They are a pack of feral cúnts that are having a "golden" period of wow qualifying once or twice in 20 years for a shit CL competition, finishing above us once in 20+ years and still winning nothing. Pull your fucking heads in ffs. Porkychubbino will be managing back in Spain within a couple years and they will slip back to being the shit mid table nothings they've been for over half a century. Golden period? Golden shower more like.

Your comments on Wenger are bang on. If we can keep this to a "reflections of past decades" kinda thread and not just a Wengerfest then we'll try not merge it, but if it turns into just another Wenger thread.... well, you fuckers know what's gonna happen... :D :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Retro Arsenal...I like it!

Cech = Jennings
Bellerin= Samson
Wilshere= Stewart Robson
Ozil= Charlie Nicholas
Ramsey= Brian Talbot
Holding= Tommy Caton Rip
Monreal = Pat Rice
Xhaka= Vladimir Petrovic
Iwobi= Graham Rix
Koscielny= David O'Leary
Giroud= Paul Mariner
Lacazette = Tony Woodcock
Coquelin= Steve Williams
Walcott= David Price

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

These are Spurs' halcyon years. And I'd still be happy to wager they'll end up with fuck all from them other than "pushing hard" in the league and a few decent European games.

Money has absolutely corrupted football and the reason why we have maintained top 4 for so long is that clubs who would have overtaken us (Everton, Spurs, Southampton) pay about 25-50% of the wages we do and are similarly handicapped in terms of transfer fees. It's unthinkable that teams could rise from nowhere to become the best around (like Clough) or that massive teams could fade away into obscurity.

Bottom line is Spurs haven't got the financial and commercial clout to regularly be competing. You can't expect to challenge teams year in year out who spend double (or more) than you every year, and are simply bigger clubs in some instances.

And they're Spurs for fucks sake.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Great decade, Wenger out, you know the drill DB :lol:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

northbank123 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:46 am
These are Spurs' halcyon years. And I'd still be happy to wager they'll end up with fuck all from them other than "pushing hard" in the league and a few decent European games.

Money has absolutely corrupted football and the reason why we have maintained top 4 for so long is that clubs who would have overtaken us (Everton, Spurs, Southampton) pay about 25-50% of the wages we do and are similarly handicapped in terms of transfer fees. It's unthinkable that teams could rise from nowhere to become the best around (like Clough) or that massive teams could fade away into obscurity.

Bottom line is Spurs haven't got the financial and commercial clout to regularly be competing. You can't expect to challenge teams year in year out who spend double (or more) than you every year, and are simply bigger clubs in some instances.

And they're Spurs for fucks sake.
Sounds about right, depends what happens when they likely get sold some time further down the line, probably when their stadium debt has come down a significant amount, hopefully a greedy American investor might sniff around, how about it Stan?.

:twisted:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:38 am

Cech = Jennings
Bellerin= Samson
Wilshere= Stewart Robson
Ozil= Charlie Nicholas
Ramsey= Brian Talbot
Holding= Tommy Caton Rip
Monreal = Pat Rice
Xhaka= Vladimir Petrovic
Iwobi= Graham Rix
Koscielny= David O'Leary
Giroud= Paul Mariner
Coquelin= Steve Williams
Walcott= David Price
A bit harsh on Pricey :shock: :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

herbert wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:45 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:38 am

Cech = Jennings
Bellerin= Samson
Wilshere= Stewart Robson
Ozil= Charlie Nicholas
Ramsey= Brian Talbot
Holding= Tommy Caton Rip
Monreal = Pat Rice
Xhaka= Vladimir Petrovic
Iwobi= Graham Rix
Koscielny= David O'Leary
Giroud= Paul Mariner
Coquelin= Steve Williams
Walcott= David Price
A bit harsh on Pricey :shock: :D
:lol:

And downright insulting to the great Kenny Sansom. :box: :wink:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Yep Sansom was a thoroughbred,Bellerin is a yearling :D

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Bellerin is the best full back we have at the club, like Sansom was in the early '80's.

Brightonnxtround

Post by Brightonnxtround »

All this shite banding about Kane being a world class striker and Real Madrid want him and are willing to pay 150 mill , wait until the World Cup
World class strikers score goals against the best defences in the world
And he has one huge disadvantage as my daughter kept saying while watching him play
Tuesday night , .Hes so fucking ugly ...... :?

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

and jennings deserves a LOT more respect than to be compared to that helmet cech

Brightonnxtround

Post by Brightonnxtround »

Redstar stadium doubles as athletic stadium yet they still manage to create an atmosphere :banghead: