Norwich Home 24th Oct 19:45

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Norwich Home 24th Oct 19:45

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:11 pm
General wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:27 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:56 pm
If it had been our entire PL first XI limping past Norwich then I'd agree it was shit but it was (mostly) the kids and the duds and to see a young player come on and immediately impact a game like that was superb, taken in and of itself. No shame in enjoying that for what it was.

We had Macey, Debuchy, Elneny, Holding, Nelson, Coquelin, Wilshere, Maitland-Niles, Walcott, Iwobi, Giroud.

With subs Osei-Tutu, Akpom, Da Silva, Nketiah, Sheaf, Willock, Iliev.
Would you have been surprised if it was our first team struggling against Norwich? Happy for the young lad but that's it really. I recall Jay Simpson performing similar heroics in this very same competition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... tball.html

Everything we saw yesterday has been played out ad nuseaum. Sometimes it feels like our fans are desperate to cling onto the slightest bit of excitement because we've been starved of real success for so long. I don't have a problem with people enjoying the game, I do when it's being made out like some earth shattering event .

This ^^^^^

We have had soooooo many young players turn in performances like the kid did last night only to then have a nothing career in the game afterwards - maybe it is understandable that we are so desperate for something/someone to suggest that we have a glorious future ahead of us, but it cannot hide the fact that he is at the moment just a young kid that has had a dream 35 mins in the pro game, and nothing more than that.
No doubt that I will be slated for saying this, but I thought that his attitude while celebrating his first goal was very, very poor - bad enough that he pushed a team-mate that was trying to celebrate with him, away not once but twice, but to then swear at him too is totally unacceptable imo. Again maybe my viewpoint is moulded by growing up supporting a club that was built on a team ethos above all else, but to me he looked like yet another cocky kid who is all about me me me :roll: :oops:
A couple of things. I think you and General are reading words that aren't there (again :lol: ). Who exactly is making it out to be "like some earth shattering event"? Not me. I said it was enjoyable to watch. It was. Don't really give a fuck if that doesn't fit with the "I hate everything Arsenal" agenda here tbh. And who exactly said that this kid will have anything other than (probably) a shit career after Wenger has ruined hiim? Again not me, didn't even imply it.

And augie, seriously, you play/played league football right? That celebration was 2 parts excitement and 1 part banter. He was "butting heads" with a team mate in the excitement of the moment with the adrenaline flowing. It's a bit of bravado, alpha posturing. You never did that after scoring a particularly important or enjoyable goal? I know I have done. Who knows what type of banter had gone on between those kids at training all week.

FFS lads, take a fucking day off. :roll: :lol:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:38 am
augie wrote:
General wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
If it had been our entire PL first XI limping past Norwich then I'd agree it was shit but it was (mostly) the kids and the duds and to see a young player come on and immediately impact a game like that was superb, taken in and of itself. No shame in enjoying that for what it was.

We had Macey, Debuchy, Elneny, Holding, Nelson, Coquelin, Wilshere, Maitland-Niles, Walcott, Iwobi, Giroud.

Would you have been surprised if it was our first team struggling against Norwich? Happy for the young lad but that's it really. I recall Jay Simpson performing similar heroics in this very same competition.

Everything we saw yesterday has been played out ad nuseaum. Sometimes it feels like our fans are desperate to cling onto the slightest bit of excitement because we've been starved of real success for so long. I don't have a problem with people enjoying the game, I do when it's being made out like some earth shattering event .

This ^^^^^

We have had soooooo many young players turn in performances like the kid did last night only to then have a nothing career in the game afterwards - maybe it is understandable that we are so desperate for something/someone to suggest that we have a glorious future ahead of us, but it cannot hide the fact that he is at the moment just a young kid that has had a dream 35 mins in the pro game, and nothing more than that.
No doubt that I will be slated for saying this, but I thought that his attitude while celebrating his first goal was very, very poor - bad enough that he pushed a team-mate that was trying to celebrate with him, away not once but twice, but to then swear at him too is totally unacceptable imo. Again maybe my viewpoint is moulded by growing up supporting a club that was built on a team ethos above all else, but to me he looked like yet another cocky kid who is all about me me me :roll: :oops:
A couple of things. I think you and General are reading words that aren't there (again :lol: ). Who exactly is making it out to be "like some earth shattering event"? Not me. I said it was enjoyable to watch. It was. Don't really give a fuck if that doesn't fit with the "I hate everything Arsenal" agenda here tbh. And who exactly said that this kid will have anything other than (probably) a shit career after Wenger has ruined hiim? Again not me, didn't even imply it.

And augie, seriously, you play/played league football right? That celebration was 2 parts excitement and 1 part banter. He was "butting heads" with a team mate in the excitement of the moment with the adrenaline flowing. It's a bit of bravado, alpha posturing. You never did that after scoring a particularly important or enjoyable goal? I know I have done. Who knows what type of banter had gone on between those kids at training all week.

I agree ...if the players can take every weekend off, we can take a day off :lol: :lol: :lol:

I find some of the goal celebrations part of "The modern Football Bollocks" tbh.....almost embarrassing....remember the ball under the jersey and the thumb in the mouth because the missus was pregnant celebration (cringe)

Who was the African player who crawled on all fours then lifted his leg, imitating pissing on the corner flag?? Sheer class.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

To be fair he has apologised to Joe Willock (the player involved) on twatter saying that emotions got the better of him which is fair enough.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:09 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:38 am
augie wrote:
General wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

This ^^^^^

I agree ...if the players can take every weekend off, we can take a day off :lol: :lol: :lol:

I find some of the goal celebrations part of "The modern Football Bollocks" tbh.....almost embarrassing....remember the ball under the jersey and the thumb in the mouth because the missus was pregnant celebration (cringe)

Who was the African player who crawled on all fours then lifted his leg, imitating pissing on the corner flag?? Sheer class.
:lol: :lol:

As far as celebrations go I hate the elaborate obvious "practised" ones - like the poxy gang "dap" handshake thing Divey ^^ Sandwich and those cúnts do. :oops: :roll:

I like just good old honest impulsive sweary ones like Sunderland in 1979. That footage of him wheeling away swearing his head off is classic. Looks to me (and admittedly I'm no lip reader :D ) like he is yelling "fucking yes you fucking cúnts!" :lol: 8)

Who was that player that did the dog pissing thing...? :rubchin:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Finidi George. Liam Boyce also did it apparently.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:48 am

Finidi George. Liam Boyce also did it apparently.
Ah yes! I could picture his stupid little head but could not recall the name. Did not know Boyce did it too.

Classy.

Like Fowler waving his arse at Le Saux and "snorting" the sideline. No wonder he's known as "DOG" in Victim City. :roll: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

My midget mod friend, you too should consider taking a day off - at no stage did I suggest that you were going OTT in your praise of the kid, so I'm not sure how or why you think that I was digging you out :?
Truth be told my comments were more generalized than anything else - some here (a few) have gone ott imo, but there have been many outside of this forum that are already hyping the guy way too quickly on the back of a 35 minute appearance.

Re the celebration thing, there is absolutely no way that pushing away a team-mate like he did can be classed as banter - like every player I have scored (relatively) important goals for my club and I know that emotion can get the better of people, but pushing a team-mate away is, for me anyway, a "fcuk off this is my moment" type of thing and I wouldn't be happy if I was his team-mate. The fact that he has since came out and apologized tells me that he has since looked at it and agrees that it didn't reflect well on him 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:36 pm
My midget mod friend, you too should consider taking a day off - at no stage did I suggest that you were going OTT in your praise of the kid, so I'm not sure how or why you think that I was digging you out :?
Truth be told my comments were more generalized than anything else - some here (a few) have gone ott imo, but there have been many outside of this forum that are already hyping the guy way too quickly on the back of a 35 minute appearance.

Re the celebration thing, there is absolutely no way that pushing away a team-mate like he did can be classed as banter - like every player I have scored (relatively) important goals for my club and I know that emotion can get the better of people, but pushing a team-mate away is, for me anyway, a "fcuk off this is my moment" type of thing and I wouldn't be happy if I was his team-mate. The fact that he has since came out and apologized tells me that he has since looked at it and agrees that it didn't reflect well on him 8)
Actually Baldilocks you agreed with General who quoted me in his giving out about the OTT reaction to young Eddie, so I think it was fair enough to assume you were cunting me and not in a nice sexy way either. :lol: :wink:

As for his apology, I'd doubt any young modern player would have the awareness to realise they were wrong. I'd say that apology was designed, written and posted by our PR dept. :wink:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

30 minutes to the draw

Live on twitter :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:27 pm
30 minutes to the draw

Live on twitter :barscarf:
:barscarf:

I'm fully engorged. :dancingbanana:

beck

Post by beck »

robbo10 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:10 pm
Thierry 3-8-99 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:02 pm
robbo10 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:57 pm
Thierry 3-8-99 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:31 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:29 pm
The kids are alright :barscarf:
More bloody pinball wizard with some of this shit :D
There's no substitute for experience,I can't explain how lucky Arsene is though. :lol: :wink:
yeah thought we said we won't get fooled again ...but
Maybe its just my generation who do.......
The current generation are big on who are ya's
Very classy when they can't open their mouths to support the team but give a championship teams fans who have travelled 116 miles on a Tuesday night grief
Makes me sad behind blue eyes

NickF

Post by NickF »

Draw was completely cocked up and they had to release a "pre-recorded" video.
Matches are:

Chelsea v Bournemouth

Arsenal v West Ham

Leicester v Manchester City

Bristol City v Manchester United

beck

Post by beck »

wibble wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:19 pm
robbo10 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:10 pm
Thierry 3-8-99 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:02 pm
robbo10 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:57 pm
Thierry 3-8-99 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:31 pm

More bloody pinball wizard with some of this shit :D
There's no substitute for experience,I can't explain how lucky Arsene is though. :lol: :wink:
yeah thought we said we won't get fooled again ...but
Maybe its just my generation who do.......
And we have the Substitute to thank for our progress
Substitutes been a legal matter in football for 50 years
Eddie kelly was one when he equalised in the 71 final
Got the only goal of our last home game v Stoke off the bench same season

Ian allinson equalised at Spurs in the league cup semi replay in 87

Martin Hayes only goal of game at boro in 89 from the bench

Kevin Campbell scored in the 1st leg v millwall in 92/93
Without it we would have gone out on aggregate league cup

Pires goal off bench v Sheffield Utd in the fa cup 04/05

Squad is god

beck

Post by beck »

Ray C wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:35 pm
Recording stopped at full time so never saw the winner. Total crap tonight. Norwich should have been 3 up & El Erny should have been sent off. I do disagree with a previous post that this was Feo's worst performance ever - he plays like this every time he 'rises' from the bench, & to make him captain - what a joke & insult to some of the greats of the past !. He wasn't alone. Lucky Arsenal again. :barscarf: :barscarf:
Just like when we nearly got knocked out by Sheffield Wednesday in the 78/79 fa cup till bradys late equaliser
You never see that on cup final day
Just his run and cross for Alan Sunderland to get the winner
Getting in the hat is everything

beck

Post by beck »

xisstential wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:01 am
Ray C wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:35 pm
Recording stopped at full time so never saw the winner. Total crap tonight. Norwich should have been 3 up & El Erny should have been sent off. I do disagree with a previous post that this was Feo's worst performance ever - he plays like this every time he 'rises' from the bench, & to make him captain - what a joke & insult to some of the greats of the past !. He wasn't alone. Lucky Arsenal again. :barscarf: :barscarf:
Spot on....I posted the question during the game if Norwich were going to rue all those missed chances. Absolutely no doubt Elneny should have been sent off as well.

But we go on, we look to the next game, we look to ourselves, this is what is important for us, important for our fans, it is not about me......... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Who is the weakest team left in the competition??.....they're up next...at home of course :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
No that pleasure fell to man Utd
The team that got hull city in the semi final last year when Liverpool were in the draw
We got( might as well give em the trophy already ) man city in last seasons fa cup semi
But keep that doom and gloom going