Giroud

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Giroud

Post by Gunner Rob »

Well done Olivier Giroud - awarded at the FIFA world football awards tonight in London :barscarf:

Jumpers For Goalposts

Re: Giroud

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:06 pm
Well done Olivier Giroud - awarded at the FIFA world football awards tonight in London :barscarf:
Sorry mate but I can't share your joy in any award to this show pony. He sums up modern Arsenal.

He is a second tier striker, more concerned with his image and his pay packet. Not a patch on Aguero, Costa, Lewandowski, Jesus, Messi, Ronaldo and others.

The sight of Giroud celebrating wildly after finishing 4th or cupping his ear to us after ending a goal drought still makes me cringe

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

The Puskas Award. :roll:

What an insult to one of the greatest players of all time to have the ear cupping lamppost win an award dedicated to him.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:15 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:06 pm
Sorry mate but I can't share your joy in any award to this show pony. He sums up modern Arsenal.

He is a second tier striker, more concerned with his image and his pay packet. Not a patch on Aguero, Costa, Lewandowski, Jesus, Messi, Ronaldo and others.

The sight of Giroud celebrating wildly after finishing 4th or cupping his ear to us after ending a goal drought still makes me cringe
The ear cupping didn't even come after he ended his personal goal drought which I think ran for about 14 matches.... it came after he chested the ball down and another Arsenal player slotted home. This male model then ran to the crowd who had been giving him the bird, cupping his ear. And the Arsenal players do it because Wenger allows it.

Him & Walcott came on as subs the other day and they looked like 2 male models going on a photo shoot. You wanna weep......

Wenger's Arsenal.

REB

Post by REB »

well deserved. what a fantastic goal :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

FFS we get it lads. Everything is shit. Everyone is shit. :barscarf: :roll:

It was a brilliant goal that had me for one up and cheering. No matter who scored it. Giroud deserved the award. The award was for the goal, it's not some kind of backhanded condoning of Wenger. Jesus Christ, this place has absolutely gone to the fucking dogs tbh. We destroyed the chav in the FA Cup final and all it raised here from some was moans about Wenger. Take some joy in something Arsenal related. You are Arsenal fans first and foremost.

Honestly, and I've said this before, if you are now at a stage where you hate Wenger more than you love Arsenal, where every little thing Arsenal-related is poison to you, then really you need to consider taking a break from it all for a while because that cannot be good for your mental health.

And yeah yeah blah blah I know it's all his fault because of the impact he is now having on the club. We all want the old has-been gone, but he is going nowhere soon. Don't let him ruin everything.

We have a bit of an issue here tbh. Most of our full time mods have packed up and fucked off. They are sick of reading the same repetative negative fucking stuff on almost every thread. Fine, you say, let them go... but the problem is we now have only a couple of mods active enough to read every post on every thread and keep the place open. This place was shut down once before because of a couple of innocent jokes, it is only ever one stupid post away from the owner saying "fuck this I don't need the hassle" and shutting it down permanently.

The tone needs to change around here. I would suggest we keep the Wenger-hate to the Wenger thread and not pollute every other thread by comparing and relating to Wenger everything that happens. We don't want to mod this forum like the old official forum where any post off-topic was deleted etc. But tbh if you guys cannot exercise some self-control we might have to look at something like that. And that would be a real shame because what made this forum different was always the random nature of the threads and the sense of humour of the posters - and the light touch of the mods played a big part in that.

Rant over, bitches. :wink:

GTG

Post by GTG »

It was one hell of a goal up there with some of the greatest we've ever scored.

The sour taste for me is not that Giroud scored it because he does frustrate me with all the antics we've all mentioned in the past. Its the fact that he's clearly capable of a lot more.

If he does fuck off in January or the summer I'd be very interested to see how his career goes.

Can another manager get more out of him in a more disciplined environment?

When you look back at some of the goals hes scored for us there are some peaches in there to be fair.

Mind you some of the misses...... :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GTG wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:57 am

The sour taste for me is not that Giroud scored it because he does frustrate me with all the antics we've all mentioned in the past. Its the fact that he's clearly capable of a lot more.

If he does fuck off in January or the summer I'd be very interested to see how his career goes.

When you look back at some of the goals hes scored for us there are some peaches in there to be fair.

Agreed. But for me he's a second tier striker. Not shit, like some on here say, but he is not a top striker. At that level they all more or less are technically top notch, the thing that puts some in the top tier is consistency, the mental strength to impliment their technique game after game. Giroud doesn't have that.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

GTG wrote:

Go??.... He won't go. He should have gone to Everton in the window, he could have become an absolute hero there. He would have been a definite starter every week and probably have saved Koeman his job as well.I actually think Everton wouldn't be sitting where they are if Giroud had gone there, he is not a top striker, fitting for a top club but he does get goals, not hatfuls but he does get them.And Everton desperately need somebody, ANYBODY, up front. Giroud would have been a fit.

Just shows have nice it is at AFC that players would rather sit on the bench in a safe secure enviroment, where nothing around you is ever going to change but you are not going to win anything either.

Giroud will stay at Arsenal until his career is finished, if he was going to leave he would have left in the window. The really good players, the standout ones, those are the one's who leave.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:10 am
GTG wrote:

Go??.... He won't go. He should have gone to Everton in the window, he could have become an absolute hero there. He would have been a definite starter every week and probably have saved Koeman his job as well.I actually think Everton wouldn't be sitting where they are if Giroud had gone there, he is not a top striker, fitting for a top club but he does get goals, not hatfuls but he does get them.And Everton desperately need somebody, ANYBODY, up front. Giroud would have been a fit.

Just shows have nice it is at AFC that players would rather sit on the bench in a safe secure enviroment, where nothing around you is ever going to change but you are not going to win anything either.

Giroud will stay at Arsenal until his career is finished, if he was going to leave he would have left in the window. The really good players, the standout ones, those are the one's who leave.
That's a fair assessment. Giroud is typical of so many modern players, it's about the money, not the ambition to win trophies. It used to be that trophies were the real reward for a footballer and the money was a nice (but secondary) bonus on top of winning medals. That has been flipped on its head now. Money first... trophies and medals secondary...

If anyone has read Ray Parlour's absolutely **shit "autobiography" the bit that stands out is how the young players of his generation took huge pride in just getting into the Arsenal reserves, and how driven so many of them were to win things. He states that, even as a full pro, when a new contract was put in front of him by GG he just signed it, didn't worry about the tiny pay increase, just signed it, because he was so honoured and proud to be an Arsenal player.

**I say his autobiography is "shit" because it is ghost written by Amy Lawrence who is an appallingly shit writer. It is really turgid reading and even stories that should be piss funny have the humour sucked out of them by her leaden writing style. :roll: :censored:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:27 am
xisstential wrote:
GTG wrote:

That's a fair assessment. Giroud is typical of so many modern players, it's about the money, not the ambition to win trophies. It used to be that trophies were the real reward for a footballer and the money was a nice (but secondary) bonus on top of winning medals. That has been flipped on its head now. Money first... trophies and medals secondary...

If anyone has read Ray Parlour's absolutely **shit "autobiography" the bit that stands out is how the young players of his generation took huge pride in just getting into the Arsenal reserves, and how driven so many of them were to win things. He states that, even as a full pro, when a new contract was put in front of him by GG he just signed it, didn't worry about the tiny pay increase, just signed it, because he was so honoured and proud to be an Arsenal player.

**I say his autobiography is "shit" because it is ghost written by Amy Lawrence who is an appallingly shit writer. It is really turgid reading and even stories that should be piss funny have the humour sucked out of them by her leaden writing style. :roll: :censored:
Shame about his book, I've not read it but met Ray and he has some great funny stories and I found him entertaining, should have gotten someone better than Amy Lawrence.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

I was in Chester le street with my mackem mate when he scored that goal and promptly picked him up running round shouting "what a goal".

It was great improvisation from a player that can produce some very good goals but seems satisfied with a bit part role which sums him up really.

I remember Ramsey tried something similar a few games afterwards the prick, it was as if they were betting each other that Ramsey couldn't copy it, forget about The Arsenal winning you just go out fuck about, it's only a game after all :roll:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:44 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:27 am
xisstential wrote:
GTG wrote:

Shame about his book, I've not read it but met Ray and he has some great funny stories and I found him entertaining, should have gotten someone better than Amy Lawrence.
Soaked in Likker Alan Brazil perhaps :? :lol: :lol:

NickF

Post by NickF »

Am i right in thinking that it didn't even win goal of the month?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

NickF wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:26 am
Am i right in thinking that it didn't even win goal of the month?
yes :lol:

this was a "FIFA" awards do though so of course corruption for this award would be rife :wink:
I reckon as Kroenke is probably in town for the Arsenal AGM he probably bunged the orgnaisers a few quid so that Arsenal could collect at least 1 trophy :lol: