This seasons target

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: This seasons target

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:18 am
NickF wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:15 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:49 am

I suppose tbh I'd point a lot of this back at the owner of the club and my previous posts that the Wenger-Hate "almost excuses" the owner of his responsibilities to set the tone, lead the club, demand performance and success from the manager and other club employees. We will always drift along without strong motivated ownership first and foremost. I think no one can deny that a real football man coming in as our new owner would probably sack or force "retirement" on Wenger as a priority. The bewigged cúnt won't. It's a bit of a catch 22 really... until Wenger goes we are in this mode of drifting aimlessly, and even then we might still be fucked because the current owner will not demand from the new manager anything other than what Wenger currently delivers... :( :|
I would hope, somewhat naively, that the new manager would have it within himself to push for the best regardless of the owner.
Just think that the likes of Mourinho, Pep etc. wouldn't be content to drift as Wenger seems to have for years despite the resources available to him.

We all know that Kroenke isn't going to put his hand pocket yet last year we made around £400m which invested wisely we have us at least challenging.
Absolutely, we all would. But what if he isn't? There is no gurantee. What if Wenger (likely) has some say in his appointment? We could be stuck with Wenger Part 2 for another 10 to 20 years.... :| Leadership has to come from the top. The owner has to set the tone. I'll always believe that.

The thing is, that as things stand, an awful lot of fans will tolerate/accept what wenker is delivering every season, but I don't think that those same people will give the same unconditional support for a different manager - we have all heard the bullsh*t "he has earned the right" spewed out by some c.unts, but the next manager wont have earned the right to decide and that is where things could get interesting 8)

Anyway, to answer the original question, finishing in top 4 is the ONLY aim - the club wont publicly admit that, but we all know from past experience that nothing else matters and especially so this season having been cast into the spursday night wilderness :roll: :oops: :oops:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

To win the Europa league as a way of getting back in the "be all and end all", I think unless we look like getting 4th then we will prioritise the EL, of course if we are firmly in place in the top 4 then we will dump the EL like a shot.

Personally though, I don't give a toss.

:roll:

GTG

Post by GTG »

What will probably happen is we will still look like being in contention for the top 4 (mainly due to other clubs inconsistencies) then the Europa will reach knockout stage, we will field a weakened team.... get dumped out. Then proceed to hit a shit run of form in the league and finish 6th.

That is the way I see things heading because lets be honest theres literally fuck all planning gone into this season.

You also have to factor in the disruption thats going to come in January when Ozil and Sanchez are discussing potential moves away.

GTG

Post by GTG »

As for the fa cup who knows whats going to happen there. We could win it or get knocked out the second we draw a tidy side. Given the fact we beat 2 of the best teams in it in the semis and final last year its impossible to call what will happen there.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

GTG wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:01 pm
As for the fa cup who knows whats going to happen there. We could win it or get knocked out the second we draw a tidy side. Given the fact we beat 2 of the best teams in it in the semis and final last year its impossible to call what will happen there.
I think we've been using up more than our fair share of luck with the draws in the FA cup over the last 4 years, I think we might get lucky in the Coco pops cup this time though, this is what we built the Emirates for.. :roll:

The treble is on - Charity shield, EL and coco pops.

:barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:07 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:18 am
NickF wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:15 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:49 am

I suppose tbh I'd point a lot of this back at the owner of the club and my previous posts that the Wenger-Hate "almost excuses" the owner of his responsibilities to set the tone, lead the club, demand performance and success from the manager and other club employees. We will always drift along without strong motivated ownership first and foremost. I think no one can deny that a real football man coming in as our new owner would probably sack or force "retirement" on Wenger as a priority. The bewigged cúnt won't. It's a bit of a catch 22 really... until Wenger goes we are in this mode of drifting aimlessly, and even then we might still be fucked because the current owner will not demand from the new manager anything other than what Wenger currently delivers... :( :|
I would hope, somewhat naively, that the new manager would have it within himself to push for the best regardless of the owner.
Just think that the likes of Mourinho, Pep etc. wouldn't be content to drift as Wenger seems to have for years despite the resources available to him.

We all know that Kroenke isn't going to put his hand pocket yet last year we made around £400m which invested wisely we have us at least challenging.
Absolutely, we all would. But what if he isn't? There is no gurantee. What if Wenger (likely) has some say in his appointment? We could be stuck with Wenger Part 2 for another 10 to 20 years.... :| Leadership has to come from the top. The owner has to set the tone. I'll always believe that.

The thing is, that as things stand, an awful lot of fans will tolerate/accept what wenker is delivering every season, but I don't think that those same people will give the same unconditional support for a different manager - we have all heard the bullsh*t "he has earned the right" spewed out by some c.unts, but the next manager wont have earned the right to decide and that is where things could get interesting 8)

Anyway, to answer the original question, finishing in top 4 is the ONLY aim - the club wont publicly admit that, but we all know from past experience that nothing else matters and especially so this season having been cast into the spursday night wilderness :roll: :oops: :oops:
Probably true, but that unconditional support has nothing to do with Wenger's tenure. Wiggy does not give one single shit about what we the fans think. Once he sees the TV money etc roll in he is happy. Even if our AKB/Wenger-fan numbers go down under a new manager there will be enough tourists attracted to the big shiney PL match in the big shiney stadium in London to buy tickets, and added to the massive TV deals, this will keep Wiggy happy. Sure the club may need to remarket ticket sales with things like flight, hotel or opera tie-ins but I'm sure they will. That will be the case until the PL goes tits up like the Italian league did.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

I did start this thread because I genuinely want to know what people on here think (I would actually love some input from some AKB's) I was watching last night and it struck me that we are throwing the pubbers in for the Europa AND the League Cup. Most sides blow off the League cup and the sides fighting to avoid relegation blow off the FA Cup as well. We seem to be blowing off everything in pursuit of nothing?? It just doesn't make any sense. Why would you desperately want to get into the CL if you don't even believe you can win the Europa??

If I was in charge I would go balls to the wall in Europe. Make that the be all and end all. PLUS you can get back into the CL that way. Wenger is too scared to over commit though, so he doesn't know whether to stick or twist and we are going to end up with sweet FA. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The league is gone, the club owes us a serious tilt at a European Cup. The further we go in these comps the more confusing it's going to get...I personally think Wenger will be relieved to go out of the League cup asap.

GTG

Post by GTG »

xisstential wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm
I did start this thread because I genuinely want to know what people on here think (I would actually love some input from some AKB's) I was watching last night and it struck me that we are throwing the pubbers in for the Europa AND the League Cup. Most sides blow off the League cup and the sides fighting to avoid relegation blow off the FA Cup as well. We seem to be blowing off everything in pursuit of nothing?? It just doesn't make any sense. Why would you desperately want to get into the CL if you don't even believe you can win the Europa??

If I was in charge I would go balls to the wall in Europe. Make that the be all and end all. PLUS you can get back into the CL that way. Wenger is too scared to over commit though, so he doesn't know whether to stick or twist and we are going to end up with sweet FA. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The league is gone, the club owes us a serious tilt at a European Cup. The further we go in these comps the more confusing it's going to get...I personally think Wenger will be relieved to go out of the League cup asap.
Totally agree with what your saying and not defending Wenger here in the slightest but no manager of a supposed big club would put the first team out on a Thursday night in the Europa then chop and change it in the league even if they knew deep down the team isn't capable of winning the league. Mourinho knew this last season but still didn't play his first team until the business end which is probably what your getting at.

Wenger on the other hand will still believe he can win the league with this current side until its mathematically impossible because thats how stupid he is.

Only if we are out of the race for the top 4 or its looking extremely unlikely when the Europa enters the business end, will we see Wenger prioritise this competition and even then we won't win it when you consider some of the sides that could fall out of the CL.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

xisstential wrote:
Why would you desperately want to get into the CL if you don't even believe you can win the Europa??
Because you get more money from just being in the CL than even winning the EL?, this is how Arsene Stanley PLC operate, keep up ffs!. It doesn't matter what the proles think, they are just there to buy the latest rip off merchandise, rubbish food and overpriced tickets.

:twisted: :censored:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Simple answer, damage limitation :roll:

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

I'd love to win the Europa League.

The tourney is a shit fest until the later knock out stages, but it gets fairly difficult later on with some decent teams. I think we would honestly struggle to win it even if AW played a full strength squad....that's how shit we are.

herbert

Post by herbert »

xisstential wrote:

I dont think he is blowing the Europa,have a look at the team he put out against Cologne, even the bench was stronger than the following 2 away games so I am hoping that when the games get harder he selects a stronger side

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:

Personally I think deep down he knows he probably cannot win the league cup and the Europa league and have a tilt at the top 4 slot, and by playing these kids/pubbers/no-marks in those two cups he sets up ready made excuses for the media to roll out along the lines of "brave kids getting their chance, moral victory in defeat, Wenger developing future stars blah blah blah". :roll:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 am
xisstential wrote:

Personally I think deep down he knows he probably cannot win the league cup and the Europa league and have a tilt at the top 4 slot, and by playing these kids/pubbers/no-marks in those two cups he sets up ready made excuses for the media to roll out along the lines of "brave kids getting their chance, moral victory in defeat, Wenger developing future stars blah blah blah". :roll:
I agree DB, ...the reason I'm so pissed off is because we are continually lied to and taken for fools. Remember how in the Be all and End All he used to throw everything at it and suffer in the league?? Then about a month ago he say's he had to sacrifice the CL because of the PL. It is so duplicitous but the worst part is we are taken for fools, that we haven't been through the last decade, that we don't remember. We have our history rewritten every season to fit the scenario.

Almost every club in the PL knows exactly what they are chasing at this very moment. We don't (we actually do know, but it's not what the club will EVER admit to) The unadulterated reality...if he was pinned to a chair and held there until he answered would be...Have a kinda tilt at the Europa and League Cup, probably go out of the Cup next round, then managing becomes easier, continue with the same team in the Europa but keep plugging at 4th...go out of Europa in February then throw everything at 4th with a bit of a dash at the FA Cup (but not at the expense of 4th place). That's the game plan.... with the full backing of the owner and the board.

Mark my words...it won't be that long before we will be hearing "loook it will certainly be difficult to win the league from here, but we look to the next game, we carry..............."

Then what...what is the plan from there?? How can we all be so emotionally and financially (some of us anyway) invested in a "Big" club that aspires to finish Top 4?? Not only aspires but thinks it's acceptable?? I swing between sadness and rage that we have accepted this, allowed it to get to this.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:41 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 am
xisstential wrote:

I agree DB, ...the reason I'm so pissed off is because we are continually lied to and taken for fools. Remember how in the Be all and End All he used to throw everything at it and suffer in the league?? Then about a month ago he say's he had to sacrifice the CL because of the PL. It is so duplicitous but the worst part is we are taken for fools, that we haven't been through the last decade, that we don't remember. We have our history rewritten every season to fit the scenario.

Almost every club in the PL knows exactly what they are chasing at this very moment. We don't (we actually do know, but it's not what the club will EVER admit to) The unadulterated reality...if he was pinned to a chair and held there until he answered would be...Have a kinda tilt at the Europa and League Cup, probably go out of the Cup next round, then managing becomes easier, continue with the same team in the Europa but keep plugging at 4th...go out of Europa in February then throw everything at 4th with a bit of a dash at the FA Cup (but not at the expense of 4th place). That's the game plan.... with the full backing of the owner and the board.

Mark my words...it won't be that long before we will be hearing "loook it will certainly be difficult to win the league from here, but we look to the next game, we carry..............."

Then what...what is the plan from there?? How can we all be so emotionally and financially (some of us anyway) invested in a "Big" club that aspires to finish Top 4?? Not only aspires but thinks it's acceptable?? I swing between sadness and rage that we have accepted this, allowed it to get to this.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
100% on the money, mate. It's all so predictable... "mental strength... looook... the group... look to the next game... respect... 30 years... values..." Predictable, and every word of it horseshit, sucked up by his worshippers and our cretin owner and greedy bastard board members and the morons in the media. :roll:

I swing from sadness to rage to a terrible sense of futile hopelessness. :|