This seasons target

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
xisstential

This seasons target

Post by xisstential »

I don't want this to turn into an unadulterated Wenger bashing thread with threats from DB about merging but it would be interesting to hear thoughts about this.

I was watching the Norwich game last night and looking at the team we put out, then thought about the team we put out in the Euro's and I wondered what the actual target is this season. I think when the season starts there is a vague, abstract hope we can win the title but most sensible fans realise now that is not going to happen. In fact most of us knew before the season started. Wenger has already said that the way back into the CL is not via the Euro's... so what is the plan for our massive club?? What is it??

He is not going to target the Euro's and the league cup is treated as a distraction (In our case, I have to ask, from what???) so what are we doing?? I think most of us know we are out of the league, if City beat us, it really is game over on that front and we should throw EVERYTHING at the Euro's...Surely we deserve that?? As the competition goes on there will be bigger clubs and if we get to the last 8 and beyond it will classify as BIG (Bigish) European nights. Why cant we go for that, give the fans something to cheer about, put some pride back in the club?? I just don't think we will though, in case we exhaust ourselves there, still get knocked out and fall too far off 4th.

So AFC is basically hoping for a decent FA Cup run (maybe even win it??) and 4th. Is that a fair assessment, do the AKB's really think that that is acceptable, do the club??? Would either of them even admit to that??

There are teams in the PL who's sole aim is survival, not to get relegated, then there are those hoping to get a Euro place and perhaps a tilt at the FA Cup as they are safe enough not to have to be fully focused on just staying up, then there are those who fight for the title. I think we are in the 2nd group, but the club would NEVER come out and say it, but at board level that, I think, would qualify as success.

It's absolutely sickening...the malaise, the indifference and the acceptance of the standards being so low :cry: :cry: :cry:

DB10GOONER

Re: This seasons target

Post by DB10GOONER »

Not threats. Promises. :lol:

But seriously did you not start a similar vanity :wink: thread about winning the PL a couple weeks back? :rubchin:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

xisstential wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:32 am

I don't want this to turn into an unadulterated Wenger bashing thread with threats from DB about merging but it would be interesting to hear thoughts about this.

I was watching the Norwich game last night and looking at the team we put out, then thought about the team we put out in the Euro's and I wondered what the actual target is this season. I think when the season starts there is a vague, abstract hope we can win the title but most sensible fans realise now that is not going to happen. In fact most of us knew before the season started. Wenger has already said that the way back into the CL is not via the Euro's... so what is the plan for our massive club?? What is it??

He is not going to target the Euro's and the league cup is treated as a distraction (In our case, I have to ask, from what???) so what are we doing?? I think most of us know we are out of the league, if City beat us, it really is game over on that front and we should throw EVERYTHING at the Euro's...Surely we deserve that?? As the competition goes on there will be bigger clubs and if we get to the last 8 and beyond it will classify as BIG (Bigish) European nights. Why cant we go for that, give the fans something to cheer about, put some pride back in the club?? I just don't think we will though, in case we exhaust ourselves there, still get knocked out and fall too far off 4th.

So AFC is basically hoping for a decent FA Cup run (maybe even win it??) and 4th. Is that a fair assessment, do the AKB's really think that that is acceptable, do the club??? Would either of them even admit to that??

There are teams in the PL who's sole aim is survival, not to get relegated, then there are those hoping to get a Euro place and perhaps a tilt at the FA Cup as they are safe enough not to have to be fully focused on just staying up, then there are those who fight for the title. I think we are in the 2nd group, but the club would NEVER come out and say it, but at board level that, I think, would qualify as success.

It's absolutely sickening...the malaise, the indifference and the acceptance of the standards being so low :cry: :cry: :cry:
Hahaha...yeah right!!!

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Now I've stopped laughing... basically The Arsenal need to match or better Manures achievement of last season to be taken seriously as a big club. Europa League and a domestic trophy. Finishing above Spurs and Chelski would be a bonus.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 am
Now I've stopped laughing... basically The Arsenal need to match or better Manures achievement of last season to be taken seriously as a big club. Europa League and a domestic trophy. Finishing above Spurs and Chelski would be a bonus.
Seriously as a big club by whom?? Almost everybody, rightly or wrongly, still recognises us as a big club. I think a big club these days is judged by worldwide recognition, income received, sales of jerseys, tickets, merchandise....

NickF

Post by NickF »

Presumably the main target for this season (for the club) is to get back into the top 4 and then if we can win a cup even better.
No doubt if we do manage top 4 Gazidis will spin it as to why Wenger is still the best man to lead us to glory. :roll:

If however it looks like we won't make top 4, I fully expect Wenger to do a complete U turn about the importance of the Europa League (like Mourinho did last season).

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

xisstential wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:03 am
Nos89 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 am
Seriously as a big club by whom?? Almost everybody, rightly or wrongly, still recognises us as a big club. I think a big club these days is judged by worldwide recognition, income received, sales of jerseys, tickets, merchandise....
By the top quality players we need to improve the squad and by the football world that has lost respect for the club.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

4th is the new 1st - but of course it doesn't matter if we don't achieve that
oh and to reach the knockout stages of the Europa League

that's about it, and it will be enough to ensure the season ticket holders keep paying up

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 am

But seriously did you not start a similar vanity :wink: thread about winning the PL a couple weeks back? :rubchin:
Yea because I was genuinely interested to know if anybody thinks we can/ could win it. Now I'm am really interested to know what the fucking target is this season!! If I could, if I was a journalist, I would try to pin Gazidis or Wenger to the floor until he answered the question.

This casual drifting through season after season with the bar being set lower & lower or not at all......

As much as I despise Mourinho, he came out and said he couldn't get 4th, so he would target winning the Euro's and he DID...and their fans knew what the target was. We just drift...nobody fucking knows!! And it's season after season...We are not rebuilding, we are not moving stadiums, we are not even fixed on our very best starting 11, we are just drifting aimlessly

I wonder what would happen if somebody at the AGM stood up and asked if we could win the Euro's?? I bet he wouldn't get a straight answer.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:17 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 am

Yea because I was genuinely interested to know if anybody thinks we can/ could win it. Now I'm am really interested to know what the fucking target is this season!! If I could, if I was a journalist, I would try to pin Gazidis or Wenger to the floor until he answered the question.

This casual drifting through season after season with the bar being set lower & lower or not at all......

As much as I despise Mourinho, he came out and said he couldn't get 4th, so he would target winning the Euro's and he DID...and their fans knew what the target was. We just drift...nobody fucking knows!! And it's season after season...We are not rebuilding, we are not moving stadiums, we are not even fixed on our very best starting 11, we are just drifting aimlessly

I wonder what would happen if somebody at the AGM stood up and asked if we could win the Euro's?? I bet he wouldn't get a straight answer.
I suppose tbh I'd point a lot of this back at the owner of the club and my previous posts that the Wenger-Hate "almost excuses" the owner of his responsibilities to set the tone, lead the club, demand performance and success from the manager and other club employees. We will always drift along without strong motivated ownership first and foremost. I think no one can deny that a real football man coming in as our new owner would probably sack or force "retirement" on Wenger as a priority. The bewigged cúnt won't. It's a bit of a catch 22 really... until Wenger goes we are in this mode of drifting aimlessly, and even then we might still be fucked because the current owner will not demand from the new manager anything other than what Wenger currently delivers... :( :|

NickF

Post by NickF »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:49 am

I suppose tbh I'd point a lot of this back at the owner of the club and my previous posts that the Wenger-Hate "almost excuses" the owner of his responsibilities to set the tone, lead the club, demand performance and success from the manager and other club employees. We will always drift along without strong motivated ownership first and foremost. I think no one can deny that a real football man coming in as our new owner would probably sack or force "retirement" on Wenger as a priority. The bewigged cúnt won't. It's a bit of a catch 22 really... until Wenger goes we are in this mode of drifting aimlessly, and even then we might still be fucked because the current owner will not demand from the new manager anything other than what Wenger currently delivers... :( :|
I would hope, somewhat naively, that the new manager would have it within himself to push for the best regardless of the owner.
Just think that the likes of Mourinho, Pep etc. wouldn't be content to drift as Wenger seems to have for years despite the resources available to him.

We all know that Kroenke isn't going to put his hand pocket yet last year we made around £400m which invested wisely we have us at least challenging.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:15 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

I would hope, somewhat naively, that the new manager would have it within himself to push for the best regardless of the owner.
Just think that the likes of Mourinho, Pep etc. wouldn't be content to drift as Wenger seems to have for years despite the resources available to him.

We all know that Kroenke isn't going to put his hand pocket yet last year we made around £400m which invested wisely we have us at least challenging.
Absolutely, we all would. But what if he isn't? There is no gurantee. What if Wenger (likely) has some say in his appointment? We could be stuck with Wenger Part 2 for another 10 to 20 years.... :| Leadership has to come from the top. The owner has to set the tone. I'll always believe that.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

NickF wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I've said before countless times the board are not doing their job properly because they are not challenging the current manager to put a team together to win the league, let alone the champions league (when we were in it). We're no closer to Bayern Munich than we were 5 years ago, in fact, our 10-2 embarrassment showed we've gone backwards since the 3-3 draw, going out on away goals in 2013 ( I think).
Say Wenger calls it a day next summer, Ancellotti comes in, will the board give him more than they do Wenger? I doubt it. And he'll have to do it without Sanchez, Ozil our two world class players, and probably without our most talented young midfielder, Wilshere as their contracts would have expired.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:32 am
NickF wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I've said before countless times the board are not doing their job properly because they are not challenging the current manager to put a team together to win the league, let alone the champions league (when we were in it). We're no closer to Bayern Munich than we were 5 years ago, in fact, our 10-2 embarrassment showed we've gone backwards since the 3-3 draw, going out on away goals in 2013 ( I think).
Say Wenger calls it a day next summer, Ancellotti comes in, will the board give him more than they do Wenger? I doubt it. And he'll have to do it without Sanchez, Ozil our two world class players, and probably without our most talented young midfielder, Wilshere as their contracts would have expired.
In terms of what??

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

The Europa League at the moment isn't even Championship level. The level is laughable until the teams drop out of the CL. But I would still love to have another great European night and win the thing.

The League was never a possibility (how depressing) and the domestic cups are a bit of a lottery.