This seasons target

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: This seasons target

Post by Nos89 »

NickF wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 am
Nos89 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:32 am
NickF wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:15 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:49 am

I suppose tbh I'd point a lot of this back at the owner of the club and my previous posts that the Wenger-Hate "almost excuses" the owner of his responsibilities to set the tone, lead the club, demand performance and success from the manager and other club employees. We will always drift along without strong motivated ownership first and foremost. I think no one can deny that a real football man coming in as our new owner would probably sack or force "retirement" on Wenger as a priority. The bewigged cúnt won't. It's a bit of a catch 22 really... until Wenger goes we are in this mode of drifting aimlessly, and even then we might still be fucked because the current owner will not demand from the new manager anything other than what Wenger currently delivers... :( :|
I would hope, somewhat naively, that the new manager would have it within himself to push for the best regardless of the owner.
Just think that the likes of Mourinho, Pep etc. wouldn't be content to drift as Wenger seems to have for years despite the resources available to him.

We all know that Kroenke isn't going to put his hand pocket yet last year we made around £400m which invested wisely we have us at least challenging.
I've said before countless times the board are not doing their job properly because they are not challenging the current manager to put a team together to win the league, let alone the champions league (when we were in it). We're no closer to Bayern Munich than we were 5 years ago, in fact, our 10-2 embarrassment showed we've gone backwards since the 3-3 draw, going out on away goals in 2013 ( I think).
Say Wenger calls it a day next summer, Ancellotti comes in, will the board give him more than they do Wenger? I doubt it. And he'll have to do it without Sanchez, Ozil our two world class players, and probably without our most talented young midfielder, Wilshere as their contracts would have expired.
In terms of what??
In terms of finance to secure top players (fees and wages) targets to achieve more than top 4 and last 16 of European competition.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:06 pm
NickF wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
I've said before countless times the board are not doing their job properly because they are not challenging the current manager to put a team together to win the league, let alone the champions league (when we were in it). We're no closer to Bayern Munich than we were 5 years ago, in fact, our 10-2 embarrassment showed we've gone backwards since the 3-3 draw, going out on away goals in 2013 ( I think).
Say Wenger calls it a day next summer, Ancellotti comes in, will the board give him more than they do Wenger? I doubt it. And he'll have to do it without Sanchez, Ozil our two world class players, and probably without our most talented young midfielder, Wilshere as their contracts would have expired.
In terms of what??
In terms of finance to secure top players (fees and wages) targets to achieve more than top 4 and last 16 of European competition.
You think the club is holding back money? The transfer fee paid out in recent years (Xhaka,Mustafi, Lacazette) and our huge wage bill would suggest otherwise. As I said we all know Kroenke isn't going to finance anything personally but we made 400m last season which is enough to get top players.

Our problem is the money we are wasting on sub-standard players and then compounding it by giving them new contracts (Walcott, Welbeck, Debuchy, Chambers to name a few).

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

The problem is we have 3 clubs that are financially so far ahead of the rest that it is very difficult to compete with them, we all know which one's I mean, an owner like Kroenke has no intention of trying to compete with them and his overall lack of ambition (on the field) means he won't even try.

If we had invested heavily 10+ years ago off the back of the invincibles we could possibly be at or close to United in terms of global revenue from huge commercial deals etc. off the back of winning PL's or a CL or two but we adopted the infamous 'austerity' policy instead at a time when investment would actually likely have paid off in the long run.

Unfortunately if you look at Kroenke's track record it is difficult to see us moving anywhere but backwards with him as owner, regardless of who is manager, it would be a fluke really if somehow despite him we got one of the best managers and indeed backroom teams in world football, which is what it would take to compete under his self imposed 'cheap' methods in the PL, look at the club now in the boardroom, coaches, manager and that tells you all you need to know really.

He simply wont take risks, which is why Wenger is still here and why since we amassed cash reserves over £100M 4-5 years ago we never really fully extended ourselves with always a healthly amount over the stadium loan repayment guarantee money always remaining in place, Wenger is clearly complicit in all this which is the main reason he is still around.

wibble

Post by wibble »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:52 am
xisstential wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:41 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 am
xisstential wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm
I did start this thread because I genuinely want to know what people on here think (I would actually love some input from some AKB's) I was watching last night and it struck me that we are throwing the pubbers in for the Europa AND the League Cup. Most sides blow off the League cup and the sides fighting to avoid relegation blow off the FA Cup as well. We seem to be blowing off everything in pursuit of nothing?? It just doesn't make any sense. Why would you desperately want to get into the CL if you don't even believe you can win the Europa??

If I was in charge I would go balls to the wall in Europe. Make that the be all and end all. PLUS you can get back into the CL that way. Wenger is too scared to over commit though, so he doesn't know whether to stick or twist and we are going to end up with sweet FA. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The league is gone, the club owes us a serious tilt at a European Cup. The further we go in these comps the more confusing it's going to get...I personally think Wenger will be relieved to go out of the League cup asap.
Personally I think deep down he knows he probably cannot win the league cup and the Europa league and have a tilt at the top 4 slot, and by playing these kids/pubbers/no-marks in those two cups he sets up ready made excuses for the media to roll out along the lines of "brave kids getting their chance, moral victory in defeat, Wenger developing future stars blah blah blah". :roll:
I agree DB, ...the reason I'm so pissed off is because we are continually lied to and taken for fools. Remember how in the Be all and End All he used to throw everything at it and suffer in the league?? Then about a month ago he say's he had to sacrifice the CL because of the PL. It is so duplicitous but the worst part is we are taken for fools, that we haven't been through the last decade, that we don't remember. We have our history rewritten every season to fit the scenario.

Almost every club in the PL knows exactly what they are chasing at this very moment. We don't (we actually do know, but it's not what the club will EVER admit to) The unadulterated reality...if he was pinned to a chair and held there until he answered would be...Have a kinda tilt at the Europa and League Cup, probably go out of the Cup next round, then managing becomes easier, continue with the same team in the Europa but keep plugging at 4th...go out of Europa in February then throw everything at 4th with a bit of a dash at the FA Cup (but not at the expense of 4th place). That's the game plan.... with the full backing of the owner and the board.

Mark my words...it won't be that long before we will be hearing "loook it will certainly be difficult to win the league from here, but we look to the next game, we carry..............."

Then what...what is the plan from there?? How can we all be so emotionally and financially (some of us anyway) invested in a "Big" club that aspires to finish Top 4?? Not only aspires but thinks it's acceptable?? I swing between sadness and rage that we have accepted this, allowed it to get to this.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
100% on the money, mate. It's all so predictable... "mental strength... looook... the group... look to the next game... respect... 30 years... values..." Predictable, and every word of it horseshit, sucked up by his worshippers and our cretin owner and greedy bastard board members and the morons in the media. :roll:

I swing from sadness to rage to a terrible sense of futile hopelessness. :|
They say it's the hope that kills you.

In which case you'll both be fine!

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Target for 17/18?? Simple - 4th and a profit.

And an extra one for Wenger - to be our manager at the start of the 18/19 season (on £10million a year)

Beyond that they couldn't give a toss

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

NickF wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:16 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:06 pm
NickF wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
In terms of what??
You think the club is holding back money? The transfer fee paid out in recent years (Xhaka,Mustafi, Lacazette) and our huge wage bill would suggest otherwise. As I said we all know Kroenke isn't going to finance anything personally but we made 400m last season which is enough to get top players.

Our problem is the money we are wasting on sub-standard players and then compounding it by giving them new contracts (Walcott, Welbeck, Debuchy, Chambers to name a few).
Whats your response to the board on targets set to the manager for a season? The board simply do not expect or challenge the manager to deliver more than a top 4 league position and last 16 in Europe. Never heard them say we want Arsenal to win the champion league, no ambition, and the manager is smart enough to play along for job security.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The longer the 5 English clubs remain in the champions league the better for us in the premier league. We might just sneak our way to the top.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

This season is all about the UEFA Cup. Loving it so far and some mouth watering games hopefully to come; trip to Milan or Madrid for the semi final would be awesome 8)

Things aren't great for The Arsenal at the moment, but the UEFA Cup is great stuff after a decade of doing nothing in the CL :barscarf:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

g88ner wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:09 am
This season is all about the UEFA Cup. Loving it so far and some mouth watering games hopefully to come; trip to Milan or Madrid for the semi final would be awesome 8)

Things aren't great for The Arsenal at the moment, but the UEFA Cup is great stuff after a decade of doing nothing in the CL :barscarf:
Agreed mate :barscarf:

Always for me the target EVERY season is winning the league and anything less is failure but as g88ner says we finally have a European Competition we could win lets go for it and enjoy the ride

NickF

Post by NickF »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:50 pm
The longer the 5 English clubs remain in the champions league the better for us in the premier league. We might just sneak our way to the top.
:coffeespit: :coffeespit:

Have you really learnt nothing from the last 13 years?

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

flash gunner wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:53 am
g88ner wrote:

Always for me the target EVERY season is winning the league and anything less is failure but as g88ner says we finally have a European Competition we could win lets go for it and enjoy the ride
I remember a few seasons back losing in Naples on matchday 6,if napoli had got another we were 3rd in the group..I was gutted we held on as it was the usual shite in the cup we will never win :roll:
The Europa is the only thing I give a fuck about this season (we know how the league cup will go) but looking at the champs lge groups were not gonna have the luck the mancs got last year with all the shite left in beside them..atletico dortmund napoli are at least 3teams who will rim us.We don't have the manager everyone knows this :|

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

flash gunner wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:53 am
g88ner wrote:

Exactly. We may have been dining at the top table for the last decade but we've been the equivalent of the shy person at the far end of the table with no stories to share and nothing in common with the boisterous lot at the other endof the table who seem to be having a jolly good time. When we do talk to them,they generally laugh at us and steal our potatoes :(

The uefa cup is a God send. Enjoy it whilst you can!

Sean

Post by Sean »

Top six, with a chance at the VT. Fluke another FA Cup with lucky draws, or the players finally performing against the big clubs.

The Europa and the League Cup are scandalously treated like the shit on TOF's shoes, obviously.

Groundhog seasons to continue for another twenty-odd years.

:suicide:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

This seasons target???

mmmmmmmm..........a fucking headshot? :rubchin:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

A healthy net profit?, what else matters?.

:roll: