Name the Game

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
herbert

Re: Name the Game

Post by herbert »

Whats my prize? :barscarf:
Reg Lewis heads the ball ARSENAL V HUDDERSFIELD 1947
there is some fantastic pictures of the old girl on that page

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... cPSdl0TTuN

Clash

Post by Clash »

1984-85 was a fine season. The only season where I fully completed the Panini sticker album. It was green and I still have it.

After we drew with Hereford in the FA Cup the replay at Highbury was called off twice because of snow. I remember that winter well. The dinner ladies at school wouldn’t let us play football in the playground because of the ice on the concrete :banghead:

Bloody health and safety Nazis. Ahead of their time. They would ring the bell and call ‘wet play’ just because they didn’t want to stand out in the rain themselves :roll:

But Mrs Fox in particular was a tough woman and in those days you just didn’t argue with a woman who had a moustache. She had worked then since the 1950s and was by now an old woman who was prepared to force feed children cabbage without fearing the consequences. As I said, a tough woman!

Anyway I digress … us boys dominated that playground and it was all about football. Any girl wanting to get from one side to the other had to wait for a lull in play before making a run for it. Occasionally one went for it too early and suffered a fully justified torrent of abuse: ‘’GET OFF THE FUCKING PITCH’’ … and sometimes we even aimed the ball at their face or tried to trip them up … just to teach them a lesson.

Oh the 80s …

(sorry this thread is totally random isn’t it? )

herbert

Post by herbert »

ha ha brilliant clash :barscarf:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Well done Herbert, top o'the class.... :barscarf:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

herbert wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:01 pm
Whats my prize? :barscarf:
Reg Lewis heads the ball ARSENAL V HUDDERSFIELD 1947
there is some fantastic pictures of the old girl on that page

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... cPSdl0TTuN

Shows you how football has changed, nowadays it is so so false compared to how it was back then, there was one picture where a Blackpool supporter was in fancy dress followed by an Arsenal supporter and I swear he was carrying a cardboard cannon so similar to today's logo with it pointing in the very same direction.....Weird.... :shock:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Clash wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:17 pm
1984-85 was a fine season. The only season where I fully completed the Panini sticker album. It was green and I still have it.

After we drew with Hereford in the FA Cup the replay at Highbury was called off twice because of snow. I remember that winter well. The dinner ladies at school wouldn’t let us play football in the playground because of the ice on the concrete :banghead:

Bloody health and safety Nazis. Ahead of their time. They would ring the bell and call ‘wet play’ just because they didn’t want to stand out in the rain themselves :roll:

But Mrs Fox in particular was a tough woman and in those days you just didn’t argue with a woman who had a moustache. She had worked then since the 1950s and was by now an old woman who was prepared to force feed children cabbage without fearing the consequences. As I said, a tough woman!

Anyway I digress … us boys dominated that playground and it was all about football. Any girl wanting to get from one side to the other had to wait for a lull in play before making a run for it. Occasionally one went for it too early and suffered a fully justified torrent of abuse: ‘’GET OFF THE FUCKING PITCH’’ … and sometimes we even aimed the ball at their face or tried to trip them up … just to teach them a lesson.

Oh the 80s …

(sorry this thread is totally random isn’t it? )

As random as you want it clash!... :lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

flash gunner wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:47 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:38 pm
Spot The Ball ? :?
:lol:
I was brought up in the lake district and we had the spot the sheepdog competition in the local paper.

You had a photo of a field of sheep being round up by an invisible sheepdog! Not easy! :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:53 pm
flash gunner wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:47 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:38 pm
Spot The Ball ? :?
:lol:
I was brought up in the lake district and we had the spot the sheepdog competition in the local paper.

You had a photo of a field of sheep being round up by an invisible sheepdog! Not easy! :lol:
I read somewhere that in your part of the world "dogging" was known as "sheeping". :shock:

:D :wink:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Arsene's first game was it?