Welsh Arsenal players past and present - Merged SUPER Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Re: Rest Of South Wales Born Best Ever XI

Post by Herd »

neil316 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 pm
Almunia is a clown wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 pm
Where's Jack Kelsey? Arsenal & Wales GK 1950's used to work in the Highbury club shop. 8)

Before my time but Herd :mrgreen: from older generations of fans he was a great keeper back in the day. Always had a friendly welcome for supporters in the Clock End shop. :barscarf:
he was born in Swansea. did another article for that
I'm still laughing at the south wales excluding the main cities title ,its made me chuckle more than once .
I know not why but in my experience a lot of welsh people love an argument ,be it the next town or the next village ,in the valleys this intensifies ,ive never understood it but ive seen it a number of times ,I went out with a girl from Pontipridd when I was young and whilst its a great town their hatred of anything beyond the town was shocking .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:03 pm
neil316 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 pm
Almunia is a clown wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 pm
Where's Jack Kelsey? Arsenal & Wales GK 1950's used to work in the Highbury club shop. 8)

Before my time but Herd :mrgreen: from older generations of fans he was a great keeper back in the day. Always had a friendly welcome for supporters in the Clock End shop. :barscarf:
he was born in Swansea. did another article for that
I'm still laughing at the south wales excluding the main cities title ,its made me chuckle more than once .
I know not why but in my experience a lot of welsh people love an argument ,be it the next town or the next village ,in the valleys this intensifies ,ive never understood it but ive seen it a number of times ,I went out with a girl from Pontipridd when I was young and whilst its a great town their hatred of anything beyond the town was shocking .
:rubchin:

It's a bit like the non-Dublin Oirish, or the "culchie swamp donkeys" as we call them. If one of them marries outside of their "direct" family (and I mean their sister here) then they have betrayed their family. :shock: Even if they marry a first cousin, they would be deemed by the locals to be just "showing off".

:lol: :wink:

Herd

Post by Herd »

It's a bit like the non-Dublin Oirish, or the "culchie swamp donkeys" as we call them. If one of them marries outside of their "direct" family (and I mean their sister here) then they have betrayed their family. :shock: Even if they marry a first cousin, they would be deemed by the locals to be just "showing off".

But of course there's no problem with people from north Dublin versus South Dublin ,they all get on swimmingly !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:42 pm

But of course there's no problem with people from north Dublin versus South Dublin ,they all get on swimmingly !
:lol:

:box:

:shock:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

neil31 has won the prize for weirdest Arsenal list ever.

I was hoping to take the lead, but my 'Best Arsenal players born south of the Medway, but not on a Monday or from Maidstone' is a work in progress.

neil316

The Arsenal Welsh

Post by neil316 »

Hi all, here is an article I have written about the history of Welsh players at Arsenal, please let me know what you think. I have only included those that I feel that much some sort of impact at the club.

https://y-ddraig.co.uk/2017/11/19/the-arsenal-welsh/

herbert

Re: The Arsenal Welsh

Post by herbert »

A good read neil but maybe a mention for John Roberts who had an impact as a squad player in the 70/71 double season and Peter Nicholas done well for the first season or so and then got injured and the only other welsh fellas who I can remember Rhys Willmott and Rhys Weston you done well by leaving them out :)

neil316

Re: The Arsenal Welsh

Post by neil316 »

herbert wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:09 pm
A good read neil but maybe a mention for John Roberts who had an impact as a squad player in the 70/71 double season and Peter Nicholas done well for the first season or so and then got injured and the only other welsh fellas who I can remember Rhys Willmott and Rhys Weston you done well by leaving them out :)
Those are good shouts!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sorry Neil, no need for 2 threads on Arsenal Welsh players. I've merged them and retitled slightly for clarity. :wink:

neil316

Post by neil316 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:01 am
Sorry Neil, no need for 2 threads on Arsenal Welsh players. I've merged them and retitled slightly for clarity. :wink:
thank you. made things easier! cheers

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

neil316 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:05 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
No probs man. They are good reads by the way. 8)

neil316

Post by neil316 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:27 pm
neil316 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:05 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
No probs man. They are good reads by the way. 8)
Appreciate that, thank you :)

neil316

Re: Welsh Arsenal players past and present - Merged Thread

Post by neil316 »

hope you all liked it

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Mel Charles , the great John ( Lion of Turin )'s little brother. Played or didn't for us for about 4 years but spent most of the time injured. Must have been at the start of the great Arsenal medical staff mystery.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

neil316 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:35 am
hope you all liked it
Good articles mate