Burnley v Arsenal Sun 26th November 14.00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jumpers For Goalposts

Re: Burnley v Arsenal Sun 26th November 14.00

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

gp543 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:00 pm
They're not mutually exclusive. It is possible to be happy about being above Spurs and frustrated with the lack of a serious title challenge since 07-08. I just don't choose to bleat on about a longstanding problem that everyone is well aware of, particularly in the face of consecutive victories against sides that were in the top 6 of the league at the time of kickoff.

They're not mutually exclusive. It is possible to be happy about being above Spurs and frustrated with the lack of a serious title challenge since 07-08. I just don't choose to bleat on about a longstanding problem that everyone is well aware of, particularly in the face of consecutive victories against sides that were in the top 6 of the league at the time of kickoff.
[/quote]

They may not be mutually exclusive but this ridiculous obsession with Spurs is one of the main things holding us back.

For years we have been underachieving in relation to our massive resources. However, fans have accepted this stasis simply because we have out performed Spurs.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

Interesting if Spurs were not so shit and managed to finished above us a few times in the last 10 years it probably would have woken up some AKBs and forced more pressure to compete

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 pm
gp543 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:00 pm

They may not be mutually exclusive but this ridiculous obsession with Spurs is one of the main things holding us back.

For years we have been underachieving in relation to our massive resources. However, fans have accepted this stasis simply because we have out performed Spurs.
Sorry mate but I think you've got this one wrong. There is no "obsession" with the scum. And it certainly is not one of the main things holding us back. Many of us are delighted to get one over on them because that is what football is all about. That is the culture. It's oneupmanship, nothing more. Apart from playing them twice a year I could not really give a fuck about them tbh and I think most Gooners are in that mind set.

It's easy to throw the "most Gooners are happy if we are above the scum" excuse out there to explain why many Gooners are not more vocal in protests or whatever. But it is not the truth. The real reason is most Gooners realise that protesting will achive nothing. I know a couple of posters on here won't like to hear that but unfortunately it is true. And it will always be true as long as Kroenke is the owner, simply because he is not a Gooner, not a fan, not a football man, doesn't want what's best for the club in football terms, and doesn't give one single shit what the fans think of him. This guy is a business man, nothing more. We are an investment to him, just like a shopping mall. This is a cold dirty bastard that kicked people out of their homes in a land grab ffs. He is utter scum.

I said it last season and I stand by it. As long as Wenger delivers the bare minimum required by Kroenke, Kroenke will never sack him, no matter what the fans or the media are saying. And the only person that has the actual power to sack Wenger is the owner, Kroenke. It's a vicious circle we are trapped in. And tbh (as Wenger has said he wants to "stay in football" for decades to come) I really think the only thing that will change our current malaise in the next few years will be either serious illness or death for one or the other of Wenger or Kroenke.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

AkneyGooner wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:39 pm
Interesting if Spurs were not so shit and managed to finished above us a few times in the last 10 years it probably would have woken up some AKBs and forced more pressure to compete
I don't think it would tbh. Most of our "modern" fans and JCL's don't seem to get the rivalry and many have this pompous attitude of "manure and citeh and the chav are our real rivals not the scum" and don't give a fuck about the NLD. I think only the old school Gooners still care about it and many many of them don't go anymore since the Lego Conglomerates Bowl opened.