Arsenal v Huddersfield wed 29th Nov 19 45

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bradywasking

Re: Arsenal v Huddersfield wed 29th Nov 19 45

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:31 pm
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:15 pm
DB, the number of posts has generally declined in all March day threads. This is because so many of us are completely apathetic as to what happens because we're going to have the exact same season we always do.

A home win against a side we should always be beating isn't going to stir much discussion, happy that I am with the result.

Great to see euuurgh-zil miraculously recover from that horrible "illness" that was plaguing him last Sunday. Somehow I doubt that's not the end of that particular mystery bug ;) ;)
The point is though it is indicitative of the entire tone of the forum becoming so entrenched in hysterical negativity that it is driving the better posters away, the posters that can debate the negatives and the positives rather than just post and repost the one mob-approved "I hate everything Arsenal" party line. And surely the whole idea behind a forum is that (apart from compulsory tit photos and cock jokes) there be at least some intelligent, informative and interesting debate, not just a few people choking the life out of it by trying to outdo each other with the amount of negativity and bile they can post. Tbh it's reaching saturation point - and I'm not refering to "saturation" in the sense of Rodders finally getting a look up Our Nat's Holy Of Holies either! :wink:

When Quartz quit he said "the forum has become an inward looking pit of negativity" and he was/is right. We are in a sorry state of affairs when we have members taking snide pops at other members for enjoying beating our North London rivals the scum, because hey you cannot be positive about anything Arsenal and still want Wenger gone can you huh? :roll:
I take your point DB10 , and agree with you on many things...One thing that got to me last week for the Europa League game and previous Europa League games was the amount of people who didn't forget to come on and post that they had forgotten the game was on..which is contradictory isn't it?
I am on Twitter also and I see the other side of the argument coming from Wenger supporters. That is you cannot support Arsenal unless you support the manager...I was destroyed on Twitter the day after the Cup Final in May for daring to ask "where was that performance all season (s).?"
I do agree the negativity on here has got out of hand, but is that indicative of how people feel about their club? . Yes it's awful to see people not happy after wining an NLD. But the most weary of us can see days like that and the Cup Final being get out of jail cards for Wenger as much as occasions to be celebrated . They can be seen as days when the media and Wenger disciples say we told you so.
The majority of posters on here are Wenger Out and as such have been marginalised by the media, club and fellow Arsenal fans. This forum in many ways is a safe haven to vent anger and frustration ,often done with black humour.
I was delighted after the NLD, but will sadly confess part of me felt losing that game would be better for the club in the long term. I know that is madness because nothing results wise will move Wenger will it? I felt the same about the Cup Final and felt guilty about feeling that way..I would also add the euphoria of victory and the misery of defeat are nowhere near as high or low as they have been in the past.
To be honest I feel the Arsenal fan based is so fractured that it will take years post Wenger to heal..unless we get a marquee name manager and instant success..
I would hate to see this forum go due to infighting and personal abuse, but I fear it will..It is sad to see posters dropping out particularly Quartz who I always thought was very reasoned.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:39 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:31 pm
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:15 pm
DB, the number of posts has generally declined in all March day threads. This is because so many of us are completely apathetic as to what happens because we're going to have the exact same season we always do.

A home win against a side we should always be beating isn't going to stir much discussion, happy that I am with the result.

Great to see euuurgh-zil miraculously recover from that horrible "illness" that was plaguing him last Sunday. Somehow I doubt that's not the end of that particular mystery bug ;) ;)
The point is though it is indicitative of the entire tone of the forum becoming so entrenched in hysterical negativity that it is driving the better posters away, the posters that can debate the negatives and the positives rather than just post and repost the one mob-approved "I hate everything Arsenal" party line. And surely the whole idea behind a forum is that (apart from compulsory tit photos and cock jokes) there be at least some intelligent, informative and interesting debate, not just a few people choking the life out of it by trying to outdo each other with the amount of negativity and bile they can post. Tbh it's reaching saturation point - and I'm not refering to "saturation" in the sense of Rodders finally getting a look up Our Nat's Holy Of Holies either! :wink:

When Quartz quit he said "the forum has become an inward looking pit of negativity" and he was/is right. We are in a sorry state of affairs when we have members taking snide pops at other members for enjoying beating our North London rivals the scum, because hey you cannot be positive about anything Arsenal and still want Wenger gone can you huh? :roll:
I take your point DB10 , and agree with you on many things...One thing that got to me last week for the Europa League game and previous Europa League games was the amount of people who didn't forget to come on and post that they had forgotten the game was on..which is contradictory isn't it?
I am on Twitter also and I see the other side of the argument coming from Wenger supporters. That is you cannot support Arsenal unless you support the manager...I was destroyed on Twitter the day after the Cup Final in May for daring to ask "where was that performance all season (s).?"
I do agree the negativity on here has got out of hand, but is that indicative of how people feel about their club? . Yes it's awful to see people not happy after wining an NLD. But the most weary of us can see days like that and the Cup Final being get out of jail cards for Wenger as much as occasions to be celebrated . They can be seen as days when the media and Wenger disciples say we told you so.
The majority of posters on here are Wenger Out and as such have been marginalised by the media, club and fellow Arsenal fans. This forum in many ways is a safe haven to vent anger and frustration ,often done with black humour.
I was delighted after the NLD, but will sadly confess part of me felt losing that game would be better for the club in the long term. I know that is madness because nothing results wise will move Wenger will it? I felt the same about the Cup Final and felt guilty about feeling that way..I would also add the euphoria of victory and the misery of defeat are nowhere near as high or low as they have been in the past.
To be honest I feel the Arsenal fan based is so fractured that it will take years post Wenger to heal..unless we get a marquee name manager and instant success..
I would hate to see this forum go due to infighting and personal abuse, but I fear it will..It is sad to see posters dropping out particularly Quartz who I always thought was very reasoned.
Wise words as always BWK. This forum has always been a home for the people on the periphery, the non-conformists and the posters that hated the sanitised over-modded "Official" Arsenal forum and so it should be. But when it gets to a point where people are being hysterically negative for the sake of it or to try outdo each other you have to ask what is the point? :|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

xisstential wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:07 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:29 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:26 pm
Spurs currently down in 7th :lol:
That'd be Spurs with the world class team and manager, at least we admit we're far off the pace of the league leaders :wink:
Poch said today they cannot win the title...Wenger will still be trying to convince us we still can at the end of March even if we are 20 points behind.

I wish we cared as much about getting rid of this tyrant as we do about that win nothing, irrelevant, insignificant club down the road. Fuck them....they are not a problem, next season they will be even worse, that team will break up as they will have no CL and probably drop down to 6th or 7th.

And at the Emirates...Mr. 30 years will still be spinning his voodoo magic.
Seriously dude do NOT even joke about that stuff...just don't because it is Very REAL....remember just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean it cannot harm you.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:15 am
4 pages. We hammer a team 5-0 and we get 4 pages. :lol: :oops:

This place really is turning into a shower of grinding negative shite tbh. We have too many posters nowadays that have let Wenger ruin everything for them - and a handful who it seems just can't put their agenda away for even a minute because it's all about out-hating each other on a football forum... :roll: No wonder so many of our better posters have fucked off. :|

Anyway, it's a free country(s) so fill your boots. :lol: :wink:

Don't forget, the I forgot this game was on, cos Im trying to be more couldn't care less than the other guys who forgot the game was on.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Well i'm going to buck the trend, i actually enjoyed most of the match, and i definitely enjoyed winning in convincing fashion in the end.

There were definite negatives during the game, Ramsey was doing my head in again with what i feel is his negative play and there were also some calamitous attempts at defending, at times i felt the 'Keystone Cops' (younger readers look it up) were playing and some of the passing was woeful.

In saying that yes we took our foot off the gas for the second part of the first half and we took time to get going again in the second half but the passing and movement for two of our goals was excellent and in all honesty we should have probably had a couple of more goals if individuals confidence had been better.

Once again i felt Sead was very good, Lacazette had some good movement and was causing issues, Cech had a decent match when required though there was one heart in mouth moment and i thought Ozil was excellent he even tracked back well and got involved in dispossessing players at least twice i can remember.

As said there were some really poor moments but i genuinely feel that contrary to my gut instinct we are playing much better when we get it right and we have shown both against the Spuds and last night against Burnley that when their hearts and minds are on things we can be an excellent footballing team. What needs to happen now and this is the really difficult part is consistency and desire all the time.

For the last 5 years even when they were at their worst i've dreaded playing the Manc scum but if we can play as well as we're able to and our defence stays tight we can beat them, and a large part of that depends on which Ozil turns up and strangely whether Xhaka can keep his head and not go all red rag to a bull like he is prone too. Ramsey needs to also show up and actually realise that the game doesn't revolve around him and be much smarter with his play.

wibble

Post by wibble »

I would have posted something positive about the game DB, but I completely forgot that it was on :wink:

NickF

Post by NickF »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:15 am
4 pages. We hammer a team 5-0 and we get 4 pages. :lol: :oops:

This place really is turning into a shower of grinding negative shite tbh. We have too many posters nowadays that have let Wenger ruin everything for them - and a handful who it seems just can't put their agenda away for even a minute because it's all about out-hating each other on a football forum... :roll: No wonder so many of our better posters have fucked off. :|

Anyway, it's a free country(s) so fill your boots. :lol: :wink:
Unfortunately that is exactly what he has done and is why I don't go anymore.
Wish I could have the same enthusiasm I used to have, but when you see the club not even trying to win the league you have to ask why bother?

However, on the match threads I do try to post what I genuinely think is going to happen rather that the sh*t some post who have us losing every game and finishing mid-table.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wibble wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:45 pm
I would have posted something positive about the game DB, but I completely forgot that it was on :wink:
:lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I watched the highlights again last night and that second goal was a thing of beauty. Fast, insightful, economical, accurate passing at pace that just ripped Huddersfield open and left their players as stunned spectators. Wonderful football and brilliant goal. 8)

Shame it happens so infrequently. :|

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:03 am
I watched the highlights again last night and that second goal was a thing of beauty. Fast, insightful, economical, accurate passing at pace that just ripped Huddersfield open and left their players as stunned spectators. Wonderful football and brilliant goal. 8)

Shame it happens so infrequently. :|
Ozil was on top form, he is a quality player, was this the time to put himself in the shop window?

Normally only gets involved when he feels bothered, why blame him the Manager don't say anything

NickF

Post by NickF »

Something that struck me about the game was how empty the East stand was when the first goal went in. It did fill up later on but there were still noticeable gaps in the lower tier so I would hate to see what the upper tier looked like. By injury time at the end of the game, there were so few people there you could see the cannon pattern on the seats.

Does anything think the club would be concerned that games no longer sell out apparently even the scum wasn't sold out ( :shock: ) and neither is United tomorrow or is it just business as normal?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:14 pm
Something that struck me about the game was how empty the East stand was when the first goal went in. It did fill up later on but there were still noticeable gaps in the lower tier so I would hate to see what the upper tier looked like. By injury time at the end of the game, there were so few people there you could see the cannon pattern on the seats.

Does anything think the club would be concerned that games no longer sell out apparently even the scum wasn't sold out ( :shock: ) and neither is United tomorrow or is it just business as normal?
Yeah it was very noticeable, especially the Huddersfield game. I reckon once the game has technically "sold out" the board and owner could give zero fucks how many people actually turn up. Mass cancellation of ST's and those ST's then not selling on might make them take notice but a few thousand empty seats? Not so much. :|

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

The reason that the number of posts and posters has dropped is because there is very little left to be said that hasn't been said 1,000 times before. Add into that the general loss if interest in all things Arsenal and we're in a bad place.

Some people may have been put off by negativity but let's be honest - what is there to be positive about, all the while Wenger and Kroenke are steering the ship?

We all know that there will be lots of good performances where teams with a fraction of our resources are swatted away. We know also that the occasional brilliant performance will be outweighed by just as many shockers.

We all know that we'll finish somewhere between 3rd and 6th and we may do well in a cup. But we won't win the League or any European Trophy.

In a word - we have become predictable and fans are not to blame for that.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:53 pm

We all know that we'll finish somewhere between 3rd and 6th and we may do well in a cup. But we won't win the League or any European Trophy.

In a word - we have become predictable and fans are not to blame for that.
Pretty much sums up the last 13 years, we ain't going to win a major trophy but the secondary trophies are what keeps Kroenke happy and keeps Wenger in a job.

NickF

Post by NickF »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:40 pm
Well i'm going to buck the trend, i actually enjoyed most of the match, and i definitely enjoyed winning in convincing fashion in the end.

There were definite negatives during the game, Ramsey was doing my head in again with what i feel is his negative play and there were also some calamitous attempts at defending, at times i felt the 'Keystone Cops' (younger readers look it up) were playing and some of the passing was woeful.

In saying that yes we took our foot off the gas for the second part of the first half and we took time to get going again in the second half but the passing and movement for two of our goals was excellent and in all honesty we should have probably had a couple of more goals if individuals confidence had been better.

Once again i felt Sead was very good, Lacazette had some good movement and was causing issues, Cech had a decent match when required though there was one heart in mouth moment and i thought Ozil was excellent he even tracked back well and got involved in dispossessing players at least twice i can remember.

As said there were some really poor moments but i genuinely feel that contrary to my gut instinct we are playing much better when we get it right and we have shown both against the Spuds and last night against Burnley that when their hearts and minds are on things we can be an excellent footballing team. What needs to happen now and this is the really difficult part is consistency and desire all the time.

For the last 5 years even when they were at their worst i've dreaded playing the Manc scum but if we can play as well as we're able to and our defence stays tight we can beat them, and a large part of that depends on which Ozil turns up and strangely whether Xhaka can keep his head and not go all red rag to a bull like he is prone too. Ramsey needs to also show up and actually realise that the game doesn't revolve around him and be much smarter with his play.
Looking in isolation it was a good win, but you must see that it is one of our flat track bully wins that actually means not a lot in real terms.