Director Of Football Incoming

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
MrT

Director Of Football Incoming

Post by MrT »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... -football/

Looks like Gazidis is slowly getting his own people in. Wenger and his cronies are slowly on the way out. Wenger is becoming bad for business, they're not stupid, they know his time is up. They're preparing themselves for life without the mad king.

Remember Wenger's comments on a DOF?
"Is it someone who stands on the road and directs the players left and right? I never understand what it means, director of football."

flash gunner

Re: Director Of Football Incoming

Post by flash gunner »

I'll believe it when i see it

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:39 am
I'll believe it when i see it
I Concur Fam Blud Yaaa Knowsss. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

More smoke and mirrors horseshit. Not one of those fuckers named in that article can or will do jack shit without Wenger's go-ahead. :roll:

MrT

Post by MrT »

I thought I was miserable cynic at the best of times, but you lot take the cake.

The club would not be hiring for a position Wenger pretty much stated he thought was pointless and was against if his grip of power at the club was not weakening. No one is saying it's going to happen overnight, but the end is near. The new backroom staff are being hired in preparation for Wenger's exit.

Well respected and well connected by all accounts. Don't see him as being a simple yes man.

GTG

Post by GTG »

At the very least its going to cause some friction behind the scenes. Thats inevitable.

You can only imagine Wengers dismissive attitude when these new guys go to him with potential players they've identified or changes that they would like to make. He's not going to wear it.....

This is then bound to cause some friction as to what the point is of them being there if the manager is not going to allow them to have any influence.

Anything that at least rocks the boat is good news in my opinion. These guys to not seem to have the reputations of "yes" men so it will be interesting.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I thought I was miserable cynic at the best of times, but you lot take the cake.

The club would not be hiring for a position Wenger pretty much stated he thought was pointless and was against if his grip of power at the club was not weakening. No one is saying it's going to happen overnight, but the end is near. The new backroom staff are being hired in preparation for Wenger's exit.

Well respected and well connected by all accounts. Don't see him as being a simple yes man.
Any new manager coming in would bring his own backroom staff. This reeks more of Wenger solidifying power and Ivan The Useless being allowed to do a PR exercise to show the media that his vapid "catalyst for change" horseshit was legit - "ooh look at us being all modern and looking to win things". But you can bet your bottom dollar it was all run by Wenger first. If the owner of this club was legitimately looking to improve and win things like the PL and the CL then the first guy out the door would be Wenger, not the incidental, powerless backroom staff.

If the last 13 years have taught us anything it is that Wenger will go when Wenger wants to go and nothing will change that. It's not being miserable or cynical. It's being realistic and pragmatic. Unfortunately.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GTG wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:20 pm
At the very least its going to cause some friction behind the scenes. Thats inevitable.

You can only imagine Wengers dismissive attitude when these new guys go to him with potential players they've identified or changes that they would like to make. He's not going to wear it.....

This is then bound to cause some friction as to what the point is of them being there if the manager is not going to allow them to have any influence.

Anything that at least rocks the boat is good news in my opinion. These guys to not seem to have the reputations of "yes" men so it will be interesting.
You'd be amazed how many people become "yes men" when a couple million is waved in front of them. Personally I don't believe for one second that even one of these appointments was made without Wenger's approval. Not a single one.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

It was Marc Overmars 2 moths ago now its this bloke, it'll be Sven Goran Ericsson in a week or two

:horseshite:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:37 pm
It was Marc Overmars 2 moths ago now its this bloke, it'll be Sven Goran Ericsson in a week or two

:horseshite:
:lol: :lol:

But also;

:suicide:

:wink:

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Any new manager coming in would bring his own backroom staff. This reeks more of Wenger solidifying power and Ivan The Useless being allowed to do a PR exercise to show the media that his vapid "catalyst for change" horseshit was legit - "ooh look at us being all modern and looking to win things". But you can bet your bottom dollar it was all run by Wenger first. If the owner of this club was legitimately looking to improve and win things like the PL and the CL then the first guy out the door would be Wenger, not the incidental, powerless backroom staff.

If the last 13 years have taught us anything it is that Wenger will go when Wenger wants to go and nothing will change that. It's not being miserable or cynical. It's being realistic and pragmatic. Unfortunately.
I share your skepticism but this guy and the scout from Dortmund are a) roles which wouldn't be likely to change with a change of manager as new managers generally bring other coaches and b) have actually been involved in some very decent transfer dealings in recent years. I don't doubt in the slightest that Wenger is still in control of his departure date but I see this is a good recruitment behind the scenes regardless of whether Wenger agreed to it or not, which in theory will lessen the upheaval when ever he does decide it's time to go.

It's just baby steps and makes very little difference until we change manager but hopefully beneficial further down the line.

MrT

Post by MrT »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Fair points. The fact remains, Wenger was vehemently against a DOF being hired and they have just hired one. The says to me his power is not what it was and for better or worse he won't have his usual cronies around him to tell him what he wants to hear. I just don't see the former Barca DOF for 15 years being hired and sitting there letting Wenger dictate his job and being a yes man, even if he is getting paid millions.

Could be all PR bollocks, we'll find out soon enough.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Difficult not to be cynical when:

1) Wenger was so dismissive of the idea last season
2) Gazidis is a lying snake who will say anything to keep his job
3) Overmars was supposed to be get the job a few months ago (and I thought there may have been another name mentioned before him??)

As Flash said, believe it when i see it.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:

From all we know that sounds about right...

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Anyway....

From low life snake and general shit bag Gazidis today.....

"Raul’s appointment is another important step in developing the infrastructure we need at the club to take everything we do to the next level.

Fucking love it "THE NEXT LEVEL".... :D :D :D :D :D :D