The "Mustafi & Poor Defending in general" Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
supergeorgegraham

The "Mustafi & Poor Defending in general" Thread

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Been great since he came back can't believe we were going to sell him after we had also sold Gabriel.
Just hope he keeps his performances going as its been a while since any of us could talk about how well our central defence are playing.
Not sure if this is just a good comeback but hoping for more to come. Hoping being the most important word

Allgunsblazin

Re: Mustafi

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Has done very well, watched Paulista (Gabriel) as he NOW likes to be called with Valencia up against Barcelona and low and behold Vermalean was playing too, great game 1-1 draw....
Why did we sell them .... :lol:

NickF

Post by NickF »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:10 am
Been great since he came back can't believe we were going to sell him after we had also sold Gabriel.
All two games. :roll:

This is social media, you're only as good/bad as your last game. Give it a couple of weeks and people will be saying how s**t he is again.
Agreed that we shouldn't be selling him and Gabriel without a replacement lined up, but I haven't managed a football team for 30 years...

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

NickF wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:24 am
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:10 am
All two games. :roll:

This is social media, you're only as good/bad as your last game. Give it a couple of weeks and people will be saying how s**t he is again.
Agreed that we shouldn't be selling him and Gabriel without a replacement lined up, but I haven't managed a football team for 30 years...
You could argue that Wenger hasn't managed a team for about 14 :wink:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I honestly think Gabriel was the subject of poor coaching rather than poor quality.

Mustafi on the other hand; had a great derby but I wouldn't put too much into it seeing as he's giving free-kick away as he's always going to ground.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Personally I think the truth is somewhere in the middle... he's a reasonable PL defender, not top drawer and not shit either. But like most players "coached" by Arsene, Mustafi suffers from inconsistency. He'll have great games and he'll have poor ones.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I think hes a good player who hasnt had a fair crack under Arsene. Hopefully he can continue to prove he is good enough at AFC

Midz

Post by Midz »

I wonder if it's really down to Wenger's poor coaching skills.

It'll be interesting to see how some of these 'average' players do under another manager (that is if AW doesn't outlive them all).
The Ox hasn't done so well under a better manager has he. :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Midz wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:16 pm

It'll be interesting to see how some of these 'average' players do under another manager (that is if AW doesn't outlive them all).
Fair point but I think the problem is that the Ox was under Wenger for too long and has missed the point in his career where he should have started developing incrimentally as a player. I think whatever potential the Ox had was choked out of him by Wenger and will probably never resurface - certainly not under an attention-seeking drama queen like Klopp anyway. :|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:34 pm
Midz wrote:

Fair point but I think the problem is that the Ox was under Wenger for too long and has missed the point in his career where he should have started developing incrimentally as a player. I think whatever potential the Ox had was choked out of him by Wenger and will probably never resurface - certainly not under an attention-seeking drama queen like Klopp anyway. :|

Ohhhhh! That IS So Unfair really! C'mon DB since when has he been seen running on the pitch and joining hands with the players and running towards the kop (after a lucky win) saying 'look at me! look at me, loook at meeeeee!'
:D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:37 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:34 pm
Midz wrote:

Ohhhhh! That IS So Unfair really! C'mon DB since when has he been seen running on the pitch and joining hands with the players and running towards the kop (after a lucky win) saying 'look at me! look at me, loook at meeeeee!'
:D
:lol:

Fair points. :rubchin:

And indeed at least he's not tarting himself out and doing dozens of fucking embarrassing adverts on TV and - oh, hang on... :oops: :roll:

:lol:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Mmmmmm....thoughts on Mustafi now please....dreadful on second goal today..Being dreadful defensively has him in good company today..

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Did he go off due to embarrassment today?

markyp

Post by markyp »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:33 pm
Mmmmmm....thoughts on Mustafi now please....dreadful on second goal today..Being dreadful defensively has him in good company today..
you seen his missus?to say hes punching is an understatement,i think that is the only positive about him

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

robbo10 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:44 pm
Did he go off due to embarrassment today?
Bollocks to these 5.30 kick offs. He probably wanted to get home for Strictly Come Dancing.